It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Possessive/Aggressive husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbooty939
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-05-19

Possessive/Aggressive husky Empty
PostSubject: Possessive/Aggressive husky   Possessive/Aggressive husky EmptySun May 19, 2013 1:49 am

I have a one year old female husky who can sometimes be very possessive of her toys towards the other dogs in my house. While normally she isn't aggressive about her toys I have noticed her growling and snapping at my other dog. She recently has started to develop juvenile cataracts and I was wondering if that could possibly be the reason that she was behaving more aggressively? Also, I plan on getting her cataract surgery as soon as I can, if this is the reason she has been acting up do you think surgery will help her to be less easily agitated?
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Possessive/Aggressive husky   Possessive/Aggressive husky EmptySun May 19, 2013 10:01 am

Cataract surgery might help with her behavior a bit. However I do have a question, is she spayed? If not she could be in heat and that could be another reason why she's so aggressive all of a sudden.

I don't know too much about all this stuff either, I'm kind of just repeating what I've read here... I hope everything works out for you though!
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Possessive/Aggressive husky   Possessive/Aggressive husky EmptySun May 19, 2013 10:25 am

I'm having a similiar problem with my female right now. She'll start a fight over a toy right as we're going to sleep and is picking on my male, I'm taking all toys especially for the night when she seems to be getting more snarky, i try to give them their individual toys during the day and there up for bed time when my problem occurs. Like AMB said the surgery might help because she'll be able to see better but it may take a while even after surgery because she's gotten used to gaurding. If shes not spayed yet then that could also be a problem as he said also. Does she have a crate that she can go too? Maybe that will make her feel a bit more secure, it's got to be disconcerting to be loosing eye sight.
Back to top Go down
jbooty939
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Possessive/Aggressive husky   Possessive/Aggressive husky EmptySun May 19, 2013 5:28 pm

She has been spayed. And I don't really have her crate trained because she really isn't all that destructive inside, when she is out in my backyard is when she decides she wants to start digging stuff up. But I have noticed that she only really growls at my other dog (he is actually my moms dog) when he comes into my room and thats where all of her toys are. Any other time that she is around him they are playing, they have been together ever since she was a puppy. So I was thinking maybe she just didn't like having him near all of her toys. She is definitely the alpha of the dogs in my house, but she has been really good about minding me aside from the occasional stubbornness but thats to be expected with a husky. I'm hoping that she will be more comfortable after surgery. And I'm really wishing I had paid for pet insurance because now I'm stuck paying $4000, and I'm too much of a softy for her to let her go blind, especially at 1 year old.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

PostSubject: Re: Possessive/Aggressive husky   Possessive/Aggressive husky EmptyMon May 20, 2013 1:52 am

Sounds kinda like my nova, she just didnt want the other dog to play with her toys or be on her beds whether it was her dog bed on the floor or mine or my grandmothers beds as we shared a room at the time. We put a gate up in the doorway to our room and just kept sable out. nova would growl or start howling and talking if we let sable in so because nova was mine and sable was my aunts we gave them their own rooms, sables we didnt gate off but made sure nova wasnt harassing sable and we had peace. Maybe shes like nova was and just needs her own space like having her den where only her things are she doesnt want the dogs germs so to say and scent on her stuff. i say germs because if sable got novas toy or layed on her bed we had to wash it or nova would either shred it or refuse to touch it until it was washed, we joked all the time that sabke was like a disease to nova and she didnt want to catch what she had. Maybe try gating like we did? I think it will give her a bit more security at least while her eyes are bad.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Possessive/Aggressive husky   Possessive/Aggressive husky EmptyMon May 20, 2013 2:05 am

That is so sad, I hopefully informed the breeder of her JC.

I would just pick up toys when the other dog is around. If she's otherwise not possessive i wouldn't worry too much. How is she when eating?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
jbooty939
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Possessive/Aggressive husky   Possessive/Aggressive husky EmptyMon May 20, 2013 2:22 am

She doesn't have a problem sharing her food but she does make sure she is the first to eat. And to be honest I believe that it may have been the breeders fault. My sister originally bought her but then was unable to keep her so I gladly took her. Anyways the breeder wasn't a professional breeder and I'm pretty sure they were only breeding one litter. I wish that she had taken the time to research more breeders but there isn't anything I can do about that now so I'm just going to pay for her surgery and hope that she doesn't have any more problems. So far her cataracts have been her only health issue and she is an awesome dog regardless.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

PostSubject: Re: Possessive/Aggressive husky   Possessive/Aggressive husky EmptyMon May 20, 2013 2:55 am

I hope the surgery goes well for you, i cant imagine having a blind dog it would be a challenge i couldnt meet. I know of some around me that has two sibling pure bred huskies not sure where they got hem from but the female wasnt quite a year yet and found she had JC shes probably just over a year to a year and a half now and though i havent heard anything about them i'm sure their vet gave her a month or two with sight and said she'd be completely blind, they got lucky with their male and he had no signs at all. My boss was their trainer for awhile and she was teying to talk me into taking her because she couldnt see the family with two and one being a disabled dog they just didnt seem to understand husky behavior at all but there was no way i could. I have a rough and tumble three year old nephew that could just see getting bit because he is very excitable with dogs and a bit to rough sometimes or he would unintentionally hurt her because she couldnt see him coming. I felt bad leaving her where she was because her brother was starting to pick at her and the owners said he would just slam her into cabinets and such but i couldnt risk the injure to her coming by me or the possible injuy to my family member.
Back to top Go down
jbooty939
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Possessive/Aggressive husky   Possessive/Aggressive husky EmptyMon May 20, 2013 12:55 pm

I just took her to an veterinary ophthalmologist this morning and she is still there getting tests run to see if she is a candidate for surgery. According to her vet the chances of her developing glaucoma after surgery are about 5% (there's a 20% chance without surgery) and her chances of having retinal detachment after surgery is 5-7%. I know the chances of her having complications after surgery are relatively low but it's still unnerving because I don't want her to lose her vision, especially after dishing out a lot of money I don't have for her surgery. Hopefully she is ends up being a candidate for surgery and then doesn't have complications after. Either way, I'm going to have to give her daily eye drops to prevent any inflammation for the rest of her life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possessive/Aggressive husky   Possessive/Aggressive husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Possessive/Aggressive husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1