It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mr_karl
Newborn
Newborn
mr_karl

Male Join date : 2013-04-09

Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea   Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 6:16 am

Hi everybody, I'm new to the site and have a 4 and a half year old Husky called Duke. When we first got him, he always had diarrhea and my mother found that he perhaps had a sensitive stomach and then found a suitable food for him which worked great. 3 Years later I move into my own house, my mother moves away and I end up taking Duke in. He'd been fine for a while but over the last month or so his stools have been pure liquid, tried worming him which seemed to work temporarily but then it's back to square one. I'm hoping it's only his food as I'm using a different brand but it's still the sensitive chicken and rice.

I actually read another thread about hard-boiled egg and carrot diet which worked for one lady's husky, I tried it this morning but he just ate the egg and won't touch the carrots. I suppose my question is, is there an alternative to the carrots? I want to try this to see if his stool hardens up and then I will know for sure that it is his food.
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide for me
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea   Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 9:02 am

You can try cooking the carrots in chicken broth instead of water, that works wonders for getting my picky girl to accept green beans. Green beans is an alternative to carrots too.

Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea   Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 9:10 am

Im having a hard time with my puppy right now in this area.. I started with trying egg carrots and pumpkin.. And he wouldnt eat the carrots so i tried green beans and he wouldnt eat the green beans.. So finally i just madd chick and rice.. He loves it and has been doing great on it the past few days. I just picked a new food yesterday and im slowly adding it to the mix of chicken and rice
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea   Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 9:18 am

I have used plain cooked chicken and rice on my dogs. This works good for that. (But they love there raw carrots and canned green beans too.) Remember some dogs have grain allergies so Rice is not always the best. But the rice can be good for the sensitive stomach and we have always had success getting rid of the diarrhea. Chicken broth is good too. Is food the only think that has changed in the last month? Could he be eating something in the yard now that winter broke? Or is he still streesed about the move, or your mom?

MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea   Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 9:32 am

I can't help you there as carrots are like crack to my boy. Good luck getting it figured out though!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea   Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 am

You can also try green peas too. Buy them frozen and thaw it out before feeding. Or thaw them out half way and use them as treats.

You need to be cautious about rice in a bland diet because a lot of huskies are sensitive to grain. When I tried chicken and rice for my female trying to work out her issues, she was backed up for 3 days and on the third day threw up everything. They need to have a bowel movement at least once a day and rice will not help. You need a fiber source to help with that. Chicken is also a protein source that some of our pups are sensitive to which is why eggs are recommended. And as it turned out, my female has an intolerance to both chicken and rice!

With green beans (or peas), you can try mashing them up a bit into the eggs so they can't eat around it.

Newborn
Newborn
mr_karl

Male Join date : 2013-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea   Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi again everyone, sorry for the late reply. I think I've got to the bottom the problem, over feeding seems to be the issue. I weighed him at 58lbs (he's a rather large husky) and started giving him the correct amount of food for his weight. He would hassle me into giving him more food, I just assumed he was still hungry. He's actually on lamb and rice dry food not the chicken and rice and has been pooing normally for the last couple days. Thanks for all your replies and info, it'sds helped me a great deal, the whole thing had me quite worried, thanks again Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea   Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea Empty

Back to top Go down

Egg and carrot alternative for diarrhea

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1