It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs! Empty
PostSubject: In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs!   In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs! EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 11:32 pm

My nail clippers just broke doing Balon's nails! Yes they were cheap Hartz ones. I have no idea what a good pair of nail clippers would be. I had "Millers Forge" recommended to me, but figured I'd ask on here as well. I want a good pair, but stainless steel, heavy duty, have three dogs to cut, they need to hold up! The Lab and Balon seem to have tough nails lol, not the pup yet but sure he will too!

So what brand are you using, what did they cost, and do ya love em or hate em!
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs!   In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs! EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 11:52 pm

I don't use clippers I use a Dremel on all my dogs. $57

http://www.petedge.com/product/Grooming/Grooming-Tools/Nail-Care/Dremel-Multi-Pro-2-Speed-Cordless-Nail-Grinder/pc/190/c/214/sc/501/44007.uts
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs!   In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs! EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 12:25 pm

I dont remember what brand mine are, but they have an orange handle, they are scissor hinged, and i bought them at MudBay 2yrs ago.

Dremels are a good tool, but some dogs FLIP about it.
I have a commercial dremel for house work, but you bet your ass I round my dogs nails.off.with it after trims
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs!   In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs! EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 1:46 pm

Mine was free, well sort of, came with the Furminator. Looks tough as nails but have only used it once on Meeka so not sure how long it can possibly last.

Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs!   In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs! EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 9:06 am

Like Lani, I also Dremel my dogs....I was using my hubbie's plug in one....but he got me a battery powered on, and while it barely makes it to finish 4 dogs in one sitting, it's handier. Very easy to do and quick. You can get the nails shorter, I think. If you do it once a week for a while, the quick will shorten, even if you just touch off on each nail.
Anyway, there are lots of Youtube videos on how to, but I found that if I hold each nail firmly, and make sure the tool is rotating AWAY from nail, the dogs are well behaved for it~especially the husky, which is a small miracle! Wink You can get them used to the noise, my turning it on and treating. I even would let it vibrate on Mishka's legs and treat her as a pup.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs!   In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs! EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 10:52 am

This is the one I bought for Saber. I love it so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Professional-Large-Nail-Trimmer/dp/B0002ARQV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365515626&sr=8-1&keywords=safari+nail+clipper+large
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs!   In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs! EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 2:25 pm

Once we found out that clippers CRUSH the nails and might hurt the dogs even if you don't cut into the quick, we switched to the Dremel. I don't want to hurt my dogs in any way, no matter how tough they try to be. So just because they weren't showing it, I might've still been upsetting them.

I've posted a tutorial on here already from doberdawn.com that goes in depth on how to socialize your dog to the Dremel and how to use it properly without grinding into the quick. I've also posted the PDF link to the Dremel website that tells you which attachments are approved by Dremel to use on dog nails. I'll have to find the link.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs!   In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs! Empty

Back to top Go down

In need of good quality nail clippers for large dogs!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1