It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Huskies and Avocados

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

Huskies and Avocados Empty
PostSubject: Huskies and Avocados   Huskies and Avocados EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi All,

So I was wondering if anyone's pup has been incorporated to eat avocados?

I understand the leafs and seed are bad, and understand there is an actual dog food (AvoDerm) made from avocados. I was unable to research for a definite answer on the avocado itself (excluding leaf and seed)

My neighbor has a tree and both my dogs go nuts over them. They take it as the biggest treat in the world.

For the most part when they fall I quickly get it and trash it, however there has now been a couple of times (3 now) where they snatch it and run like hell to a safe spot to eat. I'm fairly fast (ran track), but our yard is fairly big and I don't have the stamina of a dog.

So the question is, can I let them have one on a rare occasion or should I need to talk to the neighbor and have some sort of an agreement about cutting the branches that lean towards my side of the house?

Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Avocados   Huskies and Avocados EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:32 pm

As far as I have read, the toxin found in avocado, Persin, is more toxic to other species than to dogs. The level of toxin, Persin, found in bark, leaves, skin and fruit is debated. If enough is ingested, vomiting and diarrhea, among other symptoms, can occur. That level depends on the dog, not necessarily size of the dog. Obstruction caused by swallowing the seed may also be an issue.

So, with that being said, if your pup does eat a small amount on that rare occasion, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless he/she starts to have diarrhea or vomits, or seem 'off'. If there is going times when you're not home and your pup might get a hold of one or two, you may want to talk to the neighbor about cutting the branches back that falls over your fence.

Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Avocados   Huskies and Avocados EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 12:03 am

Phew...was getting mixed messages on the net. I won't worry about it too much then...their still seems firm still.

I'm not on the best terms with the neighbors (constant parties..I don't mind a few but it feels like its once a week, throws stuff here, their dog, etc) but hopefully he warms to the idea if I do the work myself or pay for it.

I should of clarified my initial post, the avocados tend to fall more in the front yard, but my neighbors kids threw them to the backyard. They are not kids per say, 16-24 years old.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Avocados   Huskies and Avocados EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:42 am

Yes, the information you find is mixed, but from what I can tell, in very small quantities, it doesn't sound like it would cause harm. I would still be concerned if there was a chance that he would have a whole avocado at once.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Avocados   Huskies and Avocados EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 11:15 am

I feed small slices every now and then, sierra loves it but I would worry if they were eating whole ones! Just try to keep an eye on them talk to the neighbor and maybe the kids, they are old enough to understand.

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Avocados   Huskies and Avocados Empty

Back to top Go down

Huskies and Avocados

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1