It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Addiction Dog Food

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

Addiction Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Addiction Dog Food   Addiction Dog Food EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 7:35 am

Have anyone heard or tried this particular dog food? http://www.addictionfoods.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=4&parent_id=7&p_catid=1&p_subcatid=0&Itemid=57

My dogs eat a mix diet of sometimes kibbles, sometimes raw meat and sometimes cooked meat.

Last week when I went to the pet store, the salesperson was promoting this dog food and he gave me the sample pack of the venison formula which my usually picky kids devoured it in less than a few seconds. They seem to really like it. But the food has a really low content of meat and high in fruits and vegetables.

What do you guys think of it?
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Addiction Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Addiction Dog Food   Addiction Dog Food EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 8:48 am

I only clicked on the lamb formula.

Quote :
Lamb Meal, Potatoes, Tapioca, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavors, Flaxseed, Fish Meal, Fish Oil, Dried Cranberries, Dried Blueberries, Chamomile, Peppermint, Rosemary, Turmeric, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Dried Bifidobacterium Longum, Dried Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Chloride, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodate, Rosemary Extract

I would not feed it to my dogs, but thats just me.

First content is lamb but in MEAL form.
There isn't another protein until Fish and again it's only Fish meal and the sixth ingredient.

It seems like a lot of filler and not enough real food to me.

I know it's just dog food, but I always like to ask myself if based on the ingredients would I eat it myself. In this case no way. Meal isn't a "clean" form of meat to me and I couldn't see myself eating it so I wouldn't give it to my girls.

Just my Addiction Dog Food 2144500265

~Chris~

Last edited by Tika on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

Addiction Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Addiction Dog Food   Addiction Dog Food EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 9:12 am

Here is a review of the food at dogfoodadvisor.com:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/addiction-dog-food-dry/

According to the review, the venison meal contains nearly 300% more protein than fresh venison.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Addiction Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Addiction Dog Food   Addiction Dog Food EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 9:24 am

Most Meals tend to be higher in meat content or protein pound for pound than if the ingredient is just written normally (I.E. Lamb Meal vs. Lamb) .

I just wouldn't eat it personally Razz So I can't see myself feeding it to the girls as first ingredient.

~Chris~

Adult
Adult
SaberK

Addiction Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Addiction Dog Food   Addiction Dog Food EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 9:49 am

IMO I don't see anything wrong with feeding a quality meat meal Smile.
Michelle, I'm not trying to sway you either way but here's a couple more links to articles about it and you can decide for yourself:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/about-meat-meal/

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=meat-meal
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Addiction Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Addiction Dog Food   Addiction Dog Food EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 10:29 am

Oh god no Smile . There isn't. You'll be hard pressed to find one without a meal in it.

I just prefer seeing as much "wet meat" as I can can or at least a lot of different kinds before the potatoes and Tapioca and starch comes into the food I serve the girls.

Again just the way I feel Smile

~Chris~

Adult
Adult
SaberK

Addiction Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Addiction Dog Food   Addiction Dog Food EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 10:37 am

Understood Smile. We just have differing opinions that's all. Hey, the world would be a boring place if everyone agreed with each other all the time Razz!
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Addiction Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Addiction Dog Food   Addiction Dog Food EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 10:52 am

So true Razz

~Chris~

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Addiction Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Addiction Dog Food   Addiction Dog Food EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 12:20 pm

I'm going to differ from Chris on this. I think Addiction is a great food albeit priced higher than some other comparable foods in its class. I would definitely prefer to feed Addiction over a straight kibble diet and I seek out meat meal over straight meat so that my dogs get more of it. To each his own.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Addiction Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Addiction Dog Food   Addiction Dog Food EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Their site is down for maintenance right now, so I can't take a look at they dry dog food products. I learned about Addiction a while back, but was looking at their dehydrated raw product line. Back then, comparing to other dehydrated foods, they were a bit higher in cost, so I never pursued it further due to cost. But if I remember correctly, the dehydrated product line was comparable to others in quality.

Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

Addiction Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Addiction Dog Food   Addiction Dog Food EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 3:16 am

They rotate with Orijen 6 Fish and Evo products. But knowing my dogs there are already bored with those despite having raw chicken and lamb between kibbles day.
So I was thinking it wouldn't harm even if Addiction is a little low on meat content as they have been getting a lot of meat all the time. And it also give a change in flavour to the kids compare to the traditional kibbles.
That's what I think but I haven't set my mind on them yet. I am in Malaysia now for my job. Well I brought the kids with me. In here the Orijen 6 Fish is RM 95 (about USD 30) for a 5.5lbs pack whereas the Addiction is RM 65 (about USD 20) for a 3.8lbs pack. So it's actually the same price range as the Orijen despite the lower meat content. I don't buy big packs as they are mostly on a raw meat diet except for certain kibbles day where my fridge ran out of meat, which is about 3 times a week because I don't stock them.
Claudia, I don't feed dehydrated ones since they take raw meat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Addiction Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Addiction Dog Food   Addiction Dog Food Empty

Back to top Go down

Addiction Dog Food

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1