It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps... Empty
PostSubject: Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...   Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps... EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Came across an interesting bit about Huskies and communication in the book Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Harowitz, p. 114

"Research looking at the range and rate of signals used by ten physically dissimilar breeds found just this [that more modified breeds are capable of communicating less through body language]. Comparing the behavior of dogs from the Cavalier King Charles spaniel to the French bulldog to the Siberian husky, there was a clear relationship between the breed appearance and the number of signals they used. Those animals that had been most changed physically in domestication from wolves--the King Charles, at the extreme--sent the fewest signals. These pedomorphic or neotenous dogs, who retain more features of juvenile members of canid species into adulthood, look least like adult wolves. The huskies, which have the most wolflike features and are genetically closer to Canis lupus, do the most wolflike signals."

Pretty cool information. We all know how vocal and communicative they are but I bet we aren't even aware of half the things they are telling us through their body language. It is so interesting (unfortunate?) to think that physical characteristics of some breeds inhibit and restrict their ability to communicate in dog language. There a good paragraph or two about communicating through tails and how dogs like pugs or boxers can't quite say as much as a husky or lab.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...   Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps... EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:18 pm

That's cool Smile It makes sense, I just never thought about it. I wonder, do they still have the natural ability interpret the signals they can't give? I wonder how much their comprehension is impaired. Since they learn from a young age behaviors and manners through communication with their mom and litter mates..obviously they can't recieve a signal they arent getting. But take a dog from one side of the world and put it with a dog from the other, and they can still communicate so part of it is undoubtedly inate. Anyway, it's not like they'll only ever meet their breed during their critial period, so I guess it doesn't matter much. Thanks for sharing! And poor King Charles spaniels, I sure they have so much to say.
Back to top Go down
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...   Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps... EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:33 pm

I love this info. Thanks for sharing! I definitely feel like my huskies communicate with each other, and me, more than other breeds I've had. Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...   Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps... EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:38 pm

I'm sure their reception of the signals isn't impaired because they can't use them themselves. I just imagine a very excited, wiggly, K C spaniel screaming "I have so much to saaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!" and then a Husky just going, "what are you saying? Freak."

Perhaps these dogs with less communicative capacity appear more confusing, less interesting, more......subdued than say a Husky?

Food for thought for sure.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...   Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps... EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 5:10 pm

5woofs wrote:
I love this info. Thanks for sharing! I definitely feel like my huskies communicate with each other, and me, more than other breeds I've had. Smile

I would love to sit and watch your pack playing for hours and see how they communicate both verbally and non-verbally. Must be fun and interesting.
Back to top Go down
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...   Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps... EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Aw thanks! It is! Oh I love it. I love how they (Timber especially) will taunt and tease each other. I especially love when Timber stands stiff with her face on their face, or on their back, rigid, waiting for them to react. Haha I could watch them all day.

I have a couple short videos of them playing. They always play hard when I don't have my camera handy though, ha.

https://youtu.be/ygUZvJR9B80
https://youtu.be/KMvgn9CONT0

The 2nd one Timber gives River a kiss at the end Wink
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Female Join date : 2013-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...   Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps... EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Dog communication has always interested me. I work at a dog kennel and have to say that the tail is one of the greatest assets to understanding a dog. Approaching a dog without a tail is always trickier for me and my coworkers. We have to check their posture and position. So many dogs give little to no warning before they snap, which is another great things about Huskies. They usually give quite a warning to back off before they do anything.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mette.c.smith
katski13
Newborn
Newborn
katski13

Female Join date : 2013-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...   Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi Guys, Just came across this thread and it caught my attention when you mentioned Cavalier King Charles.. I own 3 cavaliers and 1 husky ( we have only had him for 3 weeks)

Are you saying that a cavalier and a husky may have trouble communicating properly?

I am quite tempted now to buy and download this book!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...   Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:44 pm

No, I don't think the point is that a Husky and a CKCS can't communicate well in an interpersonal sense. The point is more that a Husky, as a breed type, is capable of a more expressive, dynamic, versatile communication with their body, non-verbally, than a CKCS can as a breed type due to the structure and features of their bodies.

Last edited by seattlesibe on Wed May 22, 2013 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
katski13
Newborn
Newborn
katski13

Female Join date : 2013-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...   Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:46 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
No, I don't think the point is that a husky and a ckcs can't communicate well in an interpersonal sense. The point is more thata Husky, as a breed type, is capable of a more expressive, dynamic, versatile communication with their body, non-verbally, than a CKCS can as a breed type due to the structure and features of their bodies.

Thanks seattlesibe for clearing that up for me Smile Makes sense now!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...   Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:54 pm

Yeah, no problem.

That book was excellent, I learned a lot about the subjective experience of dogs given their bodies and mind. It's kinda a book of philosophy of mind for dogs Smile
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...   Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps... EmptyThu May 23, 2013 1:02 am

Heart.Of.A.Wolf wrote:
So many dogs give little to no warning before they snap.

I know this is a SUPER old post and I don't think this person even posts on here anymore...but I just had to say something.

Dogs RARELY, if EVER, "snap" without giving signals. That is a very misguided and just plain wrong statement to make. Thinking like that contributes to the countless amount of dogs that are labeled aggressive unfairly. A dog doesn't need a tail for you to see it is stressed.

If a dog really and truly "snaps" without warning, that dog has serious mental issues and probably need to be PTS before it does serious harm. A dog that does not give warning signals has problems that need to be addressed by a professional and a dog like that wouldn't be allowed in even a PetSmart doggy day care center.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...   Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps... Empty

Back to top Go down

Huskies are the most communicative breed perhaps...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1