It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KCheshire
Puppy
Puppy
KCheshire

Female Join date : 2013-03-13

Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing Empty
PostSubject: Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing   Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 1:46 am

Loki knows his cue to go outside. He's used it, tested it, and double tested it. For two days, he's had a signal to let us know that he needs to go out.

When does he pee inside? When he wants something that he can't have.

Yesterday I was eating some pizza on the couch. He was being great, just sitting there and staring but not jumping or sniffing. Instead, what does he do? Go to the other room, and PEE, LOUDLY to get my attention. He knows that when he pees on the carpet I get up and grab him to go outside. He lunged to avoid getting caught, and went straight to the pizza and took a huge bite!! The little bugger!

And just now, I told him to leave the garbage can alone. He didn't listen, so I grabbed his muzzle and repeated "No. Leave it." So he walked to the middle of the living room, squatted, and peed. He just stared at me like "Then ^@% you too!!"

Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing 85993 What do I do about this?? Does your dog do this?
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing   Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 1:53 am

How old is your dog? How long has he been potty trained without a legitimate accident that you wouldnt consider retaliation peeing?
Back to top Go down
KCheshire
Puppy
Puppy
KCheshire

PostSubject: Re: Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing   Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:09 am

He's 18 months old. We just adopted him on Tuesday, but he's been "accident free" for 3 days (so last true accident Friday). The "retaliation" was Sunday and today.

So I guess, was I assuming he was housebroken when maybe he wasn't entirely, and making false connections? Because that did seem awful fast to get housebroken.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing   Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:19 am

Yeah. Hes probably just not fully housebroken, and if hes got his balls, he may just be testing the pack order and trying to establish whats his, etc etc. I can tell you that during this very stressful time for your new dog, you should focus on only positive reinforcement methods, and redirection, not correction. It can do wonders to give a dog a cookie. Especially when everything you do is establishing the relationship this dog is going to have with you.
Back to top Go down
KCheshire
Puppy
Puppy
KCheshire

PostSubject: Re: Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing   Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:36 am

He was fixed Monday so yeah, I'm sure he has a little bit of hormones left over still. Good point on the +reinforcement/redirection stuff.

My worst fear is not making a solid, positive relationship with him. My grandpa used "traditional" training methods- rolled newspapers, rubbing noses into soiled carpet, etc, and he always had a sort of distance with his pets which I don't wanna have with Loki.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing   Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:15 am

I don't rub Karli's nose in her pee, it really doesn't do anything but make her upset. She peed on my couch last night (she's potty trained but we are hitting the teenage stage and I think she's testing to see what mommy will put up with) and I just put her to bed early after taking her outside to pee out there (after an acccident, I always reward her for peeing outside, to reinforce that she should pee outside, not in the house.) Be consistent in your training, it will help a lot.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing   Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:18 am

I wouldnt call your grandpas methods "traditional". Just old. Theyre ineffective, which is why professionals dont use them. While i do use positive punishment and negative assosciation, it is certaintly more structured than hitting the dog.
Back to top Go down
KCheshire
Puppy
Puppy
KCheshire

PostSubject: Re: Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing   Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 4:26 pm

cinnamonbits - yep, mine is definitely in the teenage stage too. We always reward for outside pottying!

K9_Eric - well yeah, by "traditional" I mean, "things old people who don't know how to train animals would do". I dislike using positive punishment (and woo! you know the correct term!) as much as possible when I can help it. I need to learn when it is appropriate. I feel bad enough giving Loki the "nose boop", soft pat on the nose, let alone full on hitting him would probably break my heart. I can't imagine ever doing that to him. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing   Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing Empty

Back to top Go down

Retaliation/ tantrum Peeing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1