It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New Husky is heartworm positive :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KairiLA
Puppy
Puppy
KairiLA

Female Join date : 2012-05-09

New Husky is heartworm positive :( Empty
PostSubject: New Husky is heartworm positive :(   New Husky is heartworm positive :( EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 11:47 am

We adopted a new playmate for Kairi about a month ago named Kaya. She is about 2 and super playful and a perfect match for Kairi. We were told that she has heartworm negative and up to date on all shots and given all of the paperwork so we thought we were in the clear. We took Kaya to the vet yesterday to get six months of heartworm prevention and to get her checked out as she had a dry cough after playing rough with Kairi. Because we wanted to switch her heartworm from Trifexis to Advantage multi our vet did the necessary bloodwork to test for heartworms while we were at the office. She surprisingly came back very heartworm positive which was a shock to us. We are assuming the test she had in January with previous owners was a false negative.

We have decided to do the Immiticide treatment and we have just started the 4 week pretreatment with Doxycycline. Not only were we blindsided by her heartworm positive test, however, but we also learn that for the next 3-4 months she will be on severe exercise restriction. Both of our female huskies are very active, playful huskies with a never ending supply of playful husky energy. Does anyone know any good ways to restrict her exercise without going stir crazy. How can we restrict one without the other suffering or becoming a total ball of husky frustrated energy? Kaya does fine in her crate but if we leave her in there all day and Kairi roams free many fussing sessions will occur. We have been wracking our brains but can think of no good way to do this. Before we got this news both of our girls required at least two 1.5 mile walks/jogs per day as well as dog park runs at least three times per week for a happy husky home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Y'all always give the best advice.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: New Husky is heartworm positive :(   New Husky is heartworm positive :( EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 12:24 pm

I really don't have any suggestions for you or restrict exercise just want to wish the best of luck with her treatment. There is a person here who comes to the meetups his second adopted husky just finish her heart worm treatment. He would bring them both to the dog park and keep Rain on a leash while Sky could play I am sure is create some stress in Rain. It would be hard I am sure when one is healthy and can be active the other one is restricted do to treatment and condition.

Back to top Go down
HermesHaven
Newborn
Newborn
HermesHaven

Female Join date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: New Husky is heartworm positive :(   New Husky is heartworm positive :( EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 12:30 pm

When I got my husky neutered he was a ball of energy at 6months old. The vet suggested we give him something to make him less hyper, so he didn't rip out his stitches. I am not sure if that is something you would be willing to do or if it could be used long term or in combination with her other medication? I would call your vet and ask if she could be put on some type of energy suppressant. Otherwise whenever she starts getting to the point in her kennel where she gets bored maybe try a kong or some other type toy that has a puzzle to get the treat? Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: New Husky is heartworm positive :(   New Husky is heartworm positive :( EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Mental stimulation is a great form of exercise. It tires them out super quickly! Get her a few puzzle toys, and learn a few new tricks
Back to top Go down
KairiLA
Puppy
Puppy
KairiLA

PostSubject: Re: New Husky is heartworm positive :(   New Husky is heartworm positive :( EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks for the tips so far. Luckily now we are in decreased activity stage and not no activity. We are trying a few things out so we have a guess about what will work next month when the Immiticide starts. So far as long as they have equal treats or puzzle toys and Kairi stats calm Kaya stays in her crate quiet with no problems.
Back to top Go down
KairiLA
Puppy
Puppy
KairiLA

PostSubject: Re: New Husky is heartworm positive :(   New Husky is heartworm positive :( EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Kaya's treatment is over and she is finally heartworm free!  She got cleared for physical activity Friday and we have been to the dog park by our house twice over the weekend.  It was a long road and we hope to never have to go through that again.  She was so excited to be able to play, go on walks, and go to the park this weekend.  It's amazing how worn out they both were last night but were both full of renewed energy this morning!
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: New Husky is heartworm positive :(   New Husky is heartworm positive :( EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Congrats!! Im glad she is healthy now!!!!
Back to top Go down
SkyPlusUs
Teenager
Teenager
SkyPlusUs

Female Join date : 2013-04-13

PostSubject: Re: New Husky is heartworm positive :(   New Husky is heartworm positive :( EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 5:59 am

I'm glad she has finished her treatment ok. Happy exercising Smile
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: New Husky is heartworm positive :(   New Husky is heartworm positive :( EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Great to hear!  My foster just finished up her last Doxy pill.  I have to get her tested to make sure she's HW-, but congrats to you!
Back to top Go down
TinaR
Newborn
Newborn
TinaR

PostSubject: Re: New Husky is heartworm positive :(   New Husky is heartworm positive :( EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 4:33 pm

I hope you said something to the rescue you got her from. I had the same thing happen to me when I adopted my German Shepherd from a rescue when he was 10 months old. Glad she's doing good now!
Back to top Go down
KairiLA
Puppy
Puppy
KairiLA

PostSubject: Re: New Husky is heartworm positive :(   New Husky is heartworm positive :( EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 9:46 am

We did let them know what happened because we were not too pleased.  We really would have never known if we weren't paranoid husky parents that wanted to get our vet to test her for everything.  It was a long road but we are so glad it's over.  They are both much happier now that they can play and wrestle all day!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: New Husky is heartworm positive :(   New Husky is heartworm positive :( EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 9:52 am

I am so glad to hear she is doing good and is HW - now.. I am sure it is fun for the two of them to get to play all day.
Back to top Go down
TinaR
Newborn
Newborn
TinaR

PostSubject: Re: New Husky is heartworm positive :(   New Husky is heartworm positive :( EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm so happy she's better! That is really all that counts. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Husky is heartworm positive :(   New Husky is heartworm positive :( Empty

Back to top Go down

New Husky is heartworm positive :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1