It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
monteagudo.kyle
Newborn
Newborn

New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie Empty
PostSubject: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 1:20 am

So, I currently have a female toy yorkie that is a little over one year old, very playful and loving. I am about to have a 6 week old syberian husky, who I am planning on raising and keeping forever which is also a female. I specifically looked for one that was 6 weeks old because I figured that it would get along with the yorkie if I let them grow up together. Can anyone give me any advice about this? Am I making the right decision? I really fell in love with the husky already, I just want to make sure I wont come home one day and see the yorkie in the huskies stomach. What do you all think, do you think if I raise them together everything should be fine?
Back to top Go down
monteagudo.kyle
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 1:55 am

anyone? I really need advice!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:01 am

The Yorkie will not end up in the Huskies stomach, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Yes, Huskies are bigger then a yorkie. Yes, Huskies have a strong prey drive, but not towards small dogs, it's towards cats, bunnies, birds, ect...

Your best bet will be to leave the Husky with her mom and littermates until 8 weeks old. If you don't she's going to be nibbiling and playing way too rough with your Yorkie because she wouldn't have learned any bite inhibition or manners from her littermates and mom.
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

Male Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:37 am

I would agree Getting a husky or any puppy for that matter at that age is to young. Besides no responsible breeder will sell a puppy at that age unless something serious happened that would lead to selling them that young like the mother disowning them or anything of that nature,
Back to top Go down
monteagudo.kyle
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 8:22 am

yes, but what about my question?
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 8:59 am

They should be fine if you raise them together. I know people who have raised a husky with small dogs and been fine.
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 9:00 am

Get the husky but wait until it is closer to or at 8 weeks. Do not get one at 6 weeks, as others have said it is way to early. I have a shih Tzu and her and our husky get along great.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 9:45 am

monteagudo.kyle wrote:
yes, but what about my question?

If you are actually interested in people's opinions, you should read people's response. Everyone answered your question.

The Yorkie should be fine, especially raised together. My 10 month old boy loves to play with little dogs, and he wasn't even raised with one. The other thing to consider is how your Yorkie will react to the other dog. Has it been socialized with bigger dogs?
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 10:03 am

Before getting our Husky puppies, I had two Yorkies (one teacup 2 pound 7 year old female) and two Dalmatians. All of them were older and got along perfect with one another, so I figured adding a Husky would be no problem.

My Husky was about to turn a year old and I'm not sure exactly what happened (I literally stepped out of the room for minute) and my teacup Yorkie tried following me and Hayden attacked her, killing her almost instantly. It's been almost 5 month's since it happened and I still have nightmares because of it and cry frequently. I do NOT trust my Huskies with any small dog. I watch my male Yorkie now like a hawk. I never leave them alone and it's like I'm constantly babysitting. It was my choice though, because the Huskies are part of our home now and prey drive is their instinct, so now it's my job to protect the little dog we have left.

I've been training Hayden like crazy since this happened and he's been ok with little dog's outside our home as of now, until yesterday. I took him to this new pet store and they had a 8 week old Min Pin puppy that I was going crazy over (it reminded me so much of my teacup Yorkie it brought me to tears). Naturally, I had to hold the puppy. They put the puppy in a separate play area from Hayden, so Hayden could see the puppy and sniff, but not get to the puppy and when the puppy started crying for me to hold him, Hayden started viciously growling. I do want to get another small dog again in the future, but I know it will never be while I own a Husky. It's not fair for me or the other dog to live in fear, thinking "is this the day he's going to snap and attack again"?

I now have an almost 1 year old female Husky and she is fine with the Yorkie in the home, but does try to play extremely rough with him, which I don't like. She is however not good with small dog's outside our home and her prey drive kick's in like crazy.

My boyfriend and I share custody of our third female Husky that is now 22 weeks old. She has been around Min Pin's and other small dog's since we brought her home. However, she did attack one of the Min Pin's the other week over food and another time over a toy.

With getting a larger dog like a Husky, you have to realize they are extremely strong dogs and can hurt a small dog without even trying. My Huskies eat raw meat and crush bones without even trying. You are increasing the risk of you're Yorkie getting hurt if you get a Husky that is 6 weeks old. The husky will bite more and guess who will be it's biting target, you're Yorkie.

I'm telling you this story, because this kind of thing can happen. I never thought in a million years it could happen to me, but it did. It was very traumatizing and wouldn't wish what I went through on my worst enemy. I had to sit helplessly while my teacup Yorkie coughed up blood and watch her die in my arms. We didn't even have enough time to take her to the emergency vet, she died in less than 10 minutes.

I'm not saying this will happen to you, but it CAN happen. Please, think very hard and long before adding a Husky into you're home with such a small fragile dog. It only takes one bite and they are gone. If you're adamant about having a Husky, please get one over 8 weeks of age. Also, there are A LOT of new puppy/dog owners that joined the forum here recently, look through their post's/threads and see all the problems they are going through and imagine yourself going through that now with a tiny Yorkie. You're problems would be slightly worse though, with getting the dog at such a young age. Getting the puppy at 6 weeks does not mean he will like you're Yorkie any better. The only thing it's doing is increasing the chances of you're tiny dog getting hurt more.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 10:08 am

Holy SH*T that sounds horrific! I am so sorry for your loss
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 10:13 am

elmerdc4 wrote:
Holy SH*T that sounds horrific! I am so sorry for your loss

Thank you.

You have no idea, how horrific it was. The way I describe it isn't anything to how it really was in person. Like I said, I have nightmares over it where I can't even sleep. The mere thought constantly haunts me and I live in guilt and regret everyday and there's not a single day that goes by that I don't miss her and think how it all could of been prevented in many ways.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 10:19 am

I wholly agree with Jennet and Kelly's response. Huskies can be unpredictable and especially with getting your pup at 6 weeks you can run into quite a few issues. If you are adamant on getting this 6 week old pup I would STRONGLY recommend finding a positive reinforcement and husky-friendly trainer in your area who can help you every step of the way to help your pup behave the best she can.
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 10:26 am

Hadyen - I am so sorry for you loss. I can't imagine what you are going through

I agree with everyone. You need to research it and really determine if a husky is a good dog for you. Also, 6 week old puppy is too young to taken away from their mom.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 10:31 am

You should have a good chance of being able to keep a husky and a small dog together BUT there are no guarantees, so you need to go into this knowing that right off the bat. You are responsible for both your dogs' safety, so you need to be prepared to do whatever it takes to ensure the safety of the Yorkie should your husky pup turn out to not be able to safely live with a small dog. If you love the dogs as much as you say you do then you will make the tough decisions if and/or when the time comes.

Jennet&Embry wrote:
Huskies have a strong prey drive, but not towards small dogs, it's towards cats, bunnies, birds, ect...

This is absolutely not true. It is very well known that huskies can have strong prey drives towards small dogs just as they can with other small prey animals. It is unlikely that a sibe would eat another small dog but certainly not unlikely that a sibe would chase down and kill a small dog like a prey animal.

Monteagudo.kyle, odds are that your husky and yorkie will be able to co-exist peacefully. But that doesn't mean that you will ever be able to let your guard down. Where the two are concerned you will always need to keep them under supervision when together and if they cannot be supervised they need to be separated for the Yorkie's safety. I have a Sibe and 2 Chihuahuas and they get along just fine, but I can NEVER leave them alone together for safety's sake. The slightest thing can severely injure a toy dog even if the sibe is just playing or has no intention of harming the small dog.

Please do not disregard the advice you have received regarding leaving the pup with it's mother and littermates until at least 8 weeks of age. There is a lot of beneficial learning and socialization that your pup still needs at that crucial age and you do not want a huge sibe puppy unleashing it's bad manners and biting on a tiny Yorkie. Your Yorkie could be seriously injured and traumatized from the experience which will result in loads more training on your part for BOTH dogs. Again, if you really do love and care for BOTH dogs like you say you do, do the right thing that is best for everyone. Wait a couple more weeks before bringing home the sibe puppy, the entire household will be better for it. I would recommend passing up this particular puppy entirely for one from a reputable breeder, but it sounds as though you have already made up your mind.

Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 11:38 am

We don't mean to discourage you from getting the puppy in any way shape or form. we simply want you to be happy and satisfied while having in mind that these dogs aren't your everyday typical lab. They have their special needs and tendencies as so do other dogs. We just want you to be happy with what you end up getting! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
monteagudo.kyle
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 12:56 pm

all of these sound like good answers, I will admit I am a little bit discouraged. I am still going to go through with it, I did just tell the owner that I wont be picking it up until at the very least 8 weeks. I am planning on getting a kennel for the husky so when we cant be around the dogs I can keep her in there. I am so wanting this to go well, I extremely fell in love with the husky. And I LOVE my toy yorkie.
Back to top Go down
HermesHaven
Newborn
Newborn
HermesHaven

Female Join date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Another thing about kenneling, you may want to also kennel your other dog, or at the very least keep it out of the room where the kennel is. I would hate for your husky to get jealous of the other dog and either whine the whole time and learn to hate the kennel or at the very worst attack your small dog out of jealousy.
Back to top Go down
monteagudo.kyle
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 1:32 pm

the owner told me that all of the puppies will be gone at 6 weeks. He said that the mother is weaning them right now and not letting them suck. He said they are now eating puppy chow. And there is still 2 more weeks before they are 6 weeks old. Any input?
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Everyone here has already said do not get the dog before 8 weeks. I am getting an 8 week old siberian this friday, and his Mom weaned them two weeks ago, he is still staying with his Mom and siblings. Just because Mom has weaned them doesn't mean she and the others aren't still teaching things. Actually in most states it is against the law to sell a puppy before it is 8 weeks old.

And I have a 19 month old Lab, and a 13 month old husky, I will still be watching very closely all interactions the other two have with the puppy. Puppies are babies, small and defenseless just like your yorkie will be, I wouldn't want my two bigger dogs to hurt the puppy either.

You have gotten great advice, just proceed with caution. Be sure your Yorkie is always protected. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
monteagudo.kyle
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:10 pm

I've decided maybe this isn't the right time to get it. I think I need a bigger place for it, and it doesn't seem right taking the dog before 8 weeks now that I have heard it from all of you so many times. It seems crucial in a puppies life to be with its mom for at least that amount of time, and I think its just going to put me In a horrible situation bringing it into my home early especially with my little toy yorkie being here. If it was just me here with her and no other dog, then that would maybe be a different story. But I cant risk the life of my yorkie, it just doesn't seem ethical at all. I am definitely heart broken right now because of this, but I would be even more heart broken if my yorkie is killed AND I get rid of the husky if that moment ever happened. It just doesn't seem like the right thing to do, maybe ill look for a different breed of large dog that is a little more friendlier with other people and animals, I'm really not too sure, but I do know that this just isn't the right time to go forth with this especially after everything I've heard today. Thank you all for your support and information. You may have just saved a little toy yorkies life just by explaining all of this to me and helping me understand what partakes in having a breed of this type. It means a lot to me.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm very happy to hear that you're putting you're Yorkie's well being over the thought of having a Husky. They are a wonderful breed, that's why I have three and are great with people and other dogs, just little dog's can be a problem. Huskies can be quite challenging, that's why it is so important to do as must research as possible! To be quite honest, that breeder doesn't sound like a good breeder AT ALL and in my opinion shouldn't even be allowed to breed dog's. There are lot's of larger breed dog's that do wonderful with small dog's, but remember that any larger dog is a risk to you're Yorkie, so please be very careful and always watch you're tiny dog.

I know there are a lot of people on the forum that own several different breed's of dog's, including myself and I'm sure everyone would be willing to help recommend a larger breed that would best suit you.

Going to the dog park is a great start. See how other larger breed's act towards you're dog and see how she reacts towards them. Also, if you want a slightly larger dog than you're Yorkie, but still want the "husky look" you could always go for an Alaskan Klee Kai.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Hmmm I'm thinking Lab Wink
Back to top Go down
monteagudo.kyle
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:27 pm

Thank you guys I really appreciate it, yes any suggestions you have would be great.
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 3:13 pm

Sorry for talking you out if the husky but it's great, as said before, that you value the life of your yorkie ather than just having a husky evacuee he is beautiful. In due time you will find and maybe eventually come to own a husky but as you said, now probably isn't the bet time. As for friendly breeds the good old Lab is one of the most friendly you can find perhaps the friendliest. Hope you find a great companion to your yorkie!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie   New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie Empty

Back to top Go down

New Syberian Husky and a Toy Yorkie

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1