It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Learning How To Play Nice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hugosboss
Newborn
Newborn
hugosboss

Male Join date : 2012-10-17

Learning How To Play Nice Empty
PostSubject: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm worried my pup is learning bad play habits from my other dog who wasn't well socialized as a puppy. At the park, Hugo--my husky--isn't aggressive or anything, but he "play bites" or mouths other dogs--around the neck and whatnot. There really isn't any yelping so I don't think he's hurting them. I'm wondering if husky's just play rough like that or is this something I should intervene with? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
bttlsgtmajor
Puppy
Puppy
bttlsgtmajor

Male Join date : 2013-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Nanook does the same and I've seen other dogs do the same. I wouldn't imagine it's bad, but others who have more experience with Huskies should probably speak to this.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 3:00 pm

Huskies definitely play rough, most to anyway, and they do tend to be rather mouthy when they play. As long as the other dog and other owner are okay with how they are playing, I wouldn't worry about it.

However, I would pay close attention that he's stopping when dogs want and not playing roughly with dogs that don't want to. Pippa's getting a little better at that. She play so roughly with some of the dogs at the park that you'd think they're trying to kill each other. But if a smaller dog comes in, she's learning she needs to be easier with them.

It takes some intervening sometimes. A few months ago she was very bad at picking up when another dog didn't want anything to do with her, but she's gotten a lot better.
Back to top Go down
hugosboss
Newborn
Newborn
hugosboss

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Well I definitely keep a close eye on him. I'll watch to see if he stops if another dog doesn't want to play.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 3:33 pm

I was actually worried about the same thing for a while and then I learned that it's completely normal. Now, since our dog park doesn't have separate sections for small and large dogs, I just have to keep an eye on Lycus with the small dogs because he is very mouthy and a lot of owners get scared even though he won't actually hurt them.
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 3:45 pm

Vegeta is the same way. He's very mouthy and loud. But I generally just let him do his thing. He needs to live and learn. If they yelp, he stops. If he yelps, they stop. My friend's 80lb, 1 year old black lab doesn't quite know this yet. The lab has only played with bigger dogs so he's a little too rough with Vegeta. He doesn't quite understand that because of how small Vegeta is he can't throw his weight around like with bigger dogs. So I can understand how bigger dogs can sometimes bully little dogs without meaning to.
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Onyx plays rough just like that. We just recently adopted a 6 year old beagle basset mix and he will walk around the house nipping the back of her neck and her legs to get her riled up.

We took him to Petsmart before Christmas and met another husky. She was really mouthy but they were happily playing. People would walk by and give looks as if they were fighting. We were laughing about it.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 4:11 pm

I really haven't ever seen a husky who didn't play mouthy lol! Balon does, and he has taught the lab Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Same with Link. And, for added bonus, it makes us sound really lame when we say " oh, it's a husky thing, perfectly normal.". It comes off as this "not my fault" justification rhetoric. Still working on my diplomacy as a Husky owner Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 5:25 pm

bttlsgtmajor wrote:
Nanook does the same and I've seen other dogs do the same. I wouldn't imagine it's bad, but others who have more experience with Huskies should probably speak to this.

I just got a peek at your Nanook profile pic--what a cutie!!!
Back to top Go down
Crispin
Newborn
Newborn
Crispin

Male Join date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Crispin's got the worst of all worlds with mouthy-ness. He learned to be overly mouthy since he was fostered with GSDs (also notoriously mouthy and rough). We have to watch him pretty carefully because when someone doesn't want to play anymore he doesn't always take the hint, but he's really good at being more gentle if they give a yip. He's also amazing with puppies (very gentle, just puts his mouth on them without pressure), but not small adult dogs (very rough). I'm not sure why.
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Female Join date : 2013-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 7:13 pm

Peaches is like that when she plays with my youngest daughter (almost 9 yrs old). I'm trying to teach her how to handle the pup but she says she doesn't want to be mean and hurt her feelings. I tried to tell her that she doesn't have to be mean, she just has to be the boss. I love that Peaches enjoys playing with her but I don't want my daughter getting hurt, she already has several scratches and sometimes Peaches will jump up and nip at her face, that is a BIG no no!

Anyone have any easy tricks or tips I can teach my daughter to use?
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 7:42 pm

Have her either get up and leave the room entirely when she nips, or (what I've done a lot with small puppies) is standup and turn your back to them. When they've calmed down a little, start play again.
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Female Join date : 2013-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 8:28 pm

katiesham wrote:
Have her either get up and leave the room entirely when she nips, or (what I've done a lot with small puppies) is standup and turn your back to them. When they've calmed down a little, start play again.

Thank you! I'll have her give that a try.
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

Female Join date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 12:12 am

Very normal husky play, that is why they have so much fun playing with other huskies! As long as the other dog gets it and isn't scared, don't worry about it. You may have issues with other dog owners though who think your dog is attacking theirs, unfortunately. Sad

Hugo is adorable by the way, I love him!
Back to top Go down
bttlsgtmajor
Puppy
Puppy
bttlsgtmajor

Male Join date : 2013-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:30 am

Mishka'sMom wrote:
bttlsgtmajor wrote:

I just got a peek at your Nanook profile pic--what a cutie!!!

Thanks! We're making a calendar of his first year with us so I've been taking pics in each month... think they're all up on my photobucket...
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 pm

Definitely normal...my biggest problem I have is Karli is super submissive. She's not a wrestler, she's more of a "chase me chase me" kind of pup. She'll wrestle sometimes but not too often. There's one female husky at the park who takes her down easily, and I keep trying to tell the owner to let her, its not a big deal, Karli needs to learn her place. But she gets really upset with her dog for grabbing Karli around the neck. Karli's not squealing or anything, so she's not hurt. I just feel bad for the dog getting in trouble when Karli's the instigator lol. Watching huskies play is truly a learning experience.
Back to top Go down
hugosboss
Newborn
Newborn
hugosboss

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 5:58 pm

Mschwax wrote:

Very normal husky play, that is why they have so much fun playing with other huskies! As long as the other dog gets it and isn't scared, don't worry about it. You may have issues with other dog owners though who think your dog is attacking theirs, unfortunately. Sad

Hugo is adorable by the way, I love him!

Thanks! I know he's not hurting any of the other dogs because they'd yelp if so, but it's kind of startling to see him mouth a dog on the neck and try to shake him like a chew toy--that's normal, too?

I've seen his guard hairs go up when our other dog tries to bully him, so I can tell when he's irritated vs. playing. And as for continuing to play with a dog who isn't responding to his play--that's when I step in and tell him to stop. I make him sit next to me for a few seconds, calm himself, and then, let him go play again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learning How To Play Nice   Learning How To Play Nice Empty

Back to top Go down

Learning How To Play Nice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1