It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

Female Join date : 2013-03-07

Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! Empty
PostSubject: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Ok, so I saw a 5 mo husky pup on Craigslist with a club foot that a lady wanted to get rid of. And I got suckered. She was so pitifully thin, her coat is rough and dry. The lady tried to tell me she had called the vet and he had said to deworm her. Anyway, I gave her the $25 she wanted and took her home last night. She did fine the 4 hour car ride home, then drank TONS of water when we got home, and promptly barfed up the Old Roy dog food she had been being fed. I thought maybe she was just a bit carsick and drank too fast. Three am she starts vomiting again, this time WHOLE, INTACT TURDS. I am not mistaken, I squished them, definitely poop. And the vomiting began alternating with copious amounts of runny diarrhea for the next several hours. So, it is Sunday morning, and an ice storm, and we have one vet that takes emergency calls, and he is about 90 years old and sweet as can be. So I took her in this morning, convinced she has an obstruction. But, the vet doesn't think so because she has diarrhea. Which from my extensive Google doctorate I know does NOT mean she isnt still obstructed, but he respectfully disagrees. She also has 104 fever, so he gave her antibiotics, nausea shot and metroconizale for the diarrhea.

She isnt in pain, in fact she has been tearing around playing with Vixen non-stop almost. She isnt straining when she poops, it just comes squirting out. The vet is convinced she ATE the poop. But it was WHOLE turds, and she would have had to have eaten them some ten hours or so before she vomited. Vet says she cant vomit poop from her own intestines. I disagree.

So, I brought her home to watch her. She acts like she is starving, and he said to go ahead and feed her. As I said, he is our only vet that will work on a Sunday, and there is the added plus that he wont require upfront payment if she requires surgery.

I am pretty sure the lady knew this dog had an issue and that is why she got rid of her. I emailed her to try to find out if she would tell me more, but nothing so far. So...any thoughts on what I should do? I am keeping the dog regardless, already in love with her. And I could care less about retribution. I am just worried our sweet geriatric vet may be making a fatal error. Do you think just "waiting and watching" is a safe approach?

Last edited by Mschwax on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 2:01 pm

oh, also...vet checked her stool and she does NOT have worms. Also checked stools for blood and it was negative.
Back to top Go down
eluke81
Puppy
Puppy
eluke81

Female Join date : 2012-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 2:09 pm

READ THIS: Vomiting Feces (FROM THE INTERNET )

A dog who vomits foul material that looks and smells like feces is most likely suffering from intestinal obstruction or peritonitis. Seek immediate professional treatment. Dogs who eat feces may also do this, but it will be an isolated incident.

I bet if she was hungry enough she ate it - or maybe eats her own - there is a condition where dogs do do that.......... wait and see??? not sure either way on that one........ poor baby - thank god you saved her - and I wish you the best of luck - where are you located???
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Poor baby.. I really don't know anything about this. When my dog ate something that I was afraid would cause a blockage my vet suggest feeding high fiber food like whole wheat bread and the such.

Oh thanks for saving her I would get her to your vet tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 2:34 pm

ljelgin wrote:
Oh thanks for saving her I would get her to your vet tomorrow.

I agree with this. I'd take them to a regular vet tomorrow or as soon as is safe and have them look at him. Run a little more thorough tests, check for obstruction, etc. Poor little thing...
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:00 pm

We are in North Central Iowa. Yeah, I usually just use this vet for routine things, like vaccinations. He is convinced she ate the poop...but she would have had to have eaten it at least ten hours prior. And they were large, whole turds....I would have thought if she had eaten them, they would be in pieces at least. She is the sweetest thing ever, really a great disposition, even when she is so sick. Vet said to let her eat solid food...do you think I should stick to liquids, like chicken broth though? I don't know where all this diarrhea is coming from- she has probably pooped a dozen huge piles since 3 am, last one was about 40 minutes ago. I forgot to mention, she did poop out one solid, very hard and crispy, black turd- not huge, about the size of a golf ball. I am wondering if the crappy food maybe gave her issues with constipation? Vet said her stool was full of "debris" that he couldn't identify... Thank you for the help! I appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:15 pm

You can give her some yogarit plain kind even a little pumpkin plain not with spices for pies in it both of these will help with diarrhea and constipation. Just give her a tablespoon at a time to see if it helps.

Where in Iowa city town I am from Des Moines, my husband is from Centerville.

Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm a bit confused. Is your pup still vomiting or was the vomiting an isolated incident?

Mschwax wrote:
I don't know where all this diarrhea is coming from- she has probably pooped a dozen huge piles since 3 am, last one was about 40 minutes ago.

I'm no vet but it would seem to me that this is A LOT of poop for a pup to be passing normally for the pup to have a blockage. Is your pups stomach hard at all?

As for the diarrhea, this is not uncommon in Husky's and it happens for a variety of reasons. Poor quality food, too much grain in food, a sudden food change, stress from the relocation, and the list goes on and on and on. Yogurt and plain pumpkin are great for settling a husky's stomach. Maybe try this to see if it doesn't help settle his little tummy.

Does she still have a fever? Or did the meds the vet gave her help with that?

I would say that if her stomach isn't hard, her fever has come down, she is passing that much poop, she is drinking normally, eating something, and playing and acting otherwise normal. You could get away with watching and waiting for a bit. Or at least until you could get to the vet tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Her stomach is not hard, it is very pot-bellied however. The vomiting started before she had eaten anything here, but after she drank alot of water. She hasn't vomited since around 6 am. Vet saw her at 10 am and her temp was 104 when he took it. He gave her shot of antibiotics. I don't have a thermometer at home to take it, so i don't know if it is down. I gave her a little solid food (Taste of the Wild) when we got back form the vet. She would happily eat more, but I am hesitant to let her have any solids.
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:23 pm

ljelgin wrote:

Where in Iowa city town I am from Des Moines, my husband is from Centerville.

I am in Humboldt, just North of Fort Dodge.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:29 pm

I would look into other vets in your area and look for a 2nd opinion. Poor babe, hope she feels better soon Sad
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 4:22 pm

If she isnt better tomorrow I will definitely call another vet.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 7:20 pm

If she has stopped vomiting, I would just watch and wait. Koda had this problem once and it was just an illness he caught. When either of my dogs get sick, I put them on a scrambled eggs diet for a few days just to help calm their stomachs down. At her size, one or two scrambled eggs a day for a couple of days won't hurt her. You can add some green beans (frozen or cooked) to the mix as a filler.

I agree that the amount that she's been pooping points to no blockage in my mind. I think what your vet said is likely the case. Dogs with blockages vomit and might have some diarrhea, but they do not have copious amounts of diarrhea like that. Also, she wouldn't be acting normally and playful. She would be lethargic and very passive. I doubt it's a blockage.

If it were my dog, I would want her stomach to calm down first... so that's why I'd go with eggs for a few days with a limited ingredient diet. Try to get her tummy calm and back on track. Once she starts pooping somewhat normally, transition her slowly to the TOTW you use for Vixen.

However, if she vomits again, there's no harm in bringing her into another vet tomorrow for a second opinion.

ETA: And for what it's worth, I think he's right that dogs wouldn't vomit up their own poop from their intestines. I don't think that's possible. If she ate an old poop from the yard or what not, it would have been hard and may not have been in her stomach long enough to break down.

Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
eluke81
Puppy
Puppy
eluke81

Female Join date : 2012-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 9:44 pm

who is the big Mal in the pic by the way??? beautiful...........
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:38 am

Thank you! The diarrhea is slowing down finally, just a few little squirts. Gave her some scrambled eggs and chicken broth and so far its staying down. The malamute is our baby Tim who we had to put down last week after he had a stroke. He was almost 15 and the love of my life. Sad he was actually a husky/ samoyed/ malamute/wolf mix, but obviously favored the malamute side. The most wonderful, gentle obedient dog ever. I am heartbroken. So was Vixen, which is why we got her a new sister. She is delighted and has ceased the non-stop whining since Zelda came home last night. Smile
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Mschwax wrote:
Thank you! The diarrhea is slowing down finally, just a few little squirts. Gave her some scrambled eggs and chicken broth and so far its staying down.
Glad to hear it! Keep up the bland diet for a few days. She likely either caught a bug from the moving stress or the anxiety put her tummy in knots. I'm sure she's going to be fine Smile

Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 4:15 pm

She is a little better today, still has diarrhea but it has gone from watery puddles to pudding like piles. Unfortunately, the stinker jumped the baby gate in the middle of the night and ate a whole bowl of Vixens food that was sitting out, so I am sure this will set her back a bit. She is lively and playful and happy as a clam though, so hopefully things will keep improving!
Back to top Go down
SierraCalloni
Puppy
Puppy
SierraCalloni

Female Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:41 pm

My pup is 18 weeks old and his stomach somehow got twisted today! Thankfully it somehow untwisted itself. He is my baby I would have been devastated!
Back to top Go down
rachm408
Newborn
Newborn
rachm408

Female Join date : 2012-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 2:38 am

My husky mix had vomiting and diarrhea about a week ago while also refusing to eat/drink. We took her to the vet on the second day and he diagnosed her with colitis and sent us home with and antibiotic and probiotic. She definitely has an appetite now but has thrown up a few times since then. However, its not nearly as bad as the day before we took her in where she puked nearly 20 times until it was basically just spit. I hope your new buddy feels better soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!   Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Craigslist pup vomiting poop- please help!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1