It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

puppy ears standing up?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

puppy ears standing up? Empty
PostSubject: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 11:30 pm

Just a quick question: what is the normal time for a Sibe's ears to stand upright? Just saw some 7 weeks old pics of Link's litter and one of his brothers still has 2 floppy ears, and one other brother has one up, and one down.

Just curious.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:16 am

I'm not sure on exact age but I know its pretty young. I have a friend who's GSD's ear wasn't standing up when she got her and she had to tape it up so that it would stay up otherwise it would have had to been surgically fixed. I'm not sure if its the same for huskies or not.
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:18 am

Loki had one ear up and one down at 8 weeks. By about 10 weeks both were full up.
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

Male Join date : 2012-12-19

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:20 am

Anakin's ears stay floppy up until his 6th week. At that point his left ear went up(or was it his right? have to go back and look at pictures) but the right one stayed down for awhile. A few in his litter had both up at that point though. I think it really just depends on the dog and how often his ears are getting nibbled on by siblings and what not. Both of his ears were up around 9 weeks tho. Some dogs are both up by around 6, and some just take longer. That's what I've been told and what I've seen first hand. Going on what I've come across so far, I think by 3 months they should both be at least starting to go up.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:25 am

It depends on the dog. Some ears are simply thick and heavy. Usually, these will be up in no time and are small ears. Some are long and thing, these can take a little longer and usually are taller than other ears. Don't be alarmed if they are down for a while, its normal.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:36 am

Cool thanks folks. I'm definitely not alarmed, I assumed there was variation in the time and rates in which they stand up. My partner wants know though if there are some Huskies whose ears don't stand up at all: so do floppy eared Huskies exist because they had a genetic glitch??
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:48 am

No. They will stand up. It's part of our breed. My males were up for a logn time, then at six week fell, and were up by 9 weeks. I can post pics if you would like?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:56 am

6 weeks or so:

puppy ears standing up? 522060_2881220790679_25580650_n

About a week or so later -

puppy ears standing up? 578690_2881221710702_563610459_n

literally 2 weeks later -

puppy ears standing up? Catored

Now (pissed at me!):

puppy ears standing up? 538080_4440668015885_632781910_n

Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 am

Ok, so let's say you take your litter in at 8 weeks for show aptitude. Puppy A has one/two floppy ears that have not stood upright yet. Is puppy A's evaluation at that time, based on the breed standard of upright ears in conjunction with her/his floppy ear(s) right now inconclusive or impossible?? Is the mere possibility of the ear(s) not going to stand up warrant a negative show evaluation??

(My partner is an empirical scientist and he insists that based on the evdence right now puppy A can not be deemed show worthy RIGHT NOW).

I say that's ridiculous because everyone knows a Husky's ears will stand and that mere genetic possibility is an inappropriate standard to have at this evaluation.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:26 am

Dog is still show worthy. worry more about structure in body right now rather than those ears. Do you have a pedigree? If i see both parents that will be more helpful.

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:32 am

It's not uncommon for larger puppies of the litter to take awhile for their ears to stand.

My understanding is that the ears standing up are tied to the strengthening of the muscles of their face. (I've read this on GSD forums - don't ask me how).

So the ears standing or not standing has little bearing (at the time) on if the dog is a show prospect or not because the primary concern is if the dog has good conformation overall and is balanced according to the standard.

puppy ears standing up? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:33 am

We know our pups are pure bred show Sibes, this is more hypothetical. His claim is that genetic variation is inevitable, and on current empirical evidence, puppy A can not be deemed show worthy.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:37 am

And this is based on....some arbitrary number of weeks picked that the ears aren't standing by?

I've seen ears not standing by 10+ weeks but they're up the day after? I've seen pups come up by 4 weeks and drop at 8 only to stand at 9.

8 weeks is not an "end all be all" in puppy growth. Many things can and will change. You can evaluate a puppy at 8 weeks as the best show potential in a litter only to have it grow up to not meet expectation while the one you deemed as a pet quality could end up being the best as it matures.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:39 am

Well, that is a bit silly. Any show breeder will tell you it is completely normal and has nothing to do with the quality of dog. My dogs Sire and Grandpa both had the same thing happen and both are very winning dogs. Incredibly winning, I believe Tenzing was top Siberian for a while. Ears fall and then come up. It's not a big deal.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:40 am

The most important thing is the thickness of the ears. If they are nice and thick they'll stand up nicely, if they are thin and flimsy they may not stand or if they do they most likely will be over sized. Sometimes the ears stand and then fall again through the teething phases and then stand again. I'd say if you don't have erect ears by 4 months you probably won't have erect ears-

I'll give one of my own examples of ears that didn't fall-

Enya 4 weeks
puppy ears standing up? 426258_351337044934530_899100711_n

Enya 6 weeks
puppy ears standing up? 529048_10150987457636590_1375000748_n

Enya 8 weeks
puppy ears standing up? 578927_10151030281536590_1940422870_n

Enya today 9 months
puppy ears standing up? 321363_429663173768583_1396780777_n
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:46 am

My points in this argument exactly, thanks yall. I finally got him to accept if "pure Husky" is the premise, then upright ears are a given...at least in shows.

It is a show fault not to have upright ears....so does this mean floppy ears are actually possible or is this just stating the obvious in the breed standard?
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:48 am

And ears that came up a bit later-

Juenau 4 weeks-
puppy ears standing up? 19093_10151335195371590_483916267_n

Juneau 8 weeks-
puppy ears standing up? 537910_10151335195516590_439254360_n

Juneau 16 weeks-
puppy ears standing up? 320950_10151335196241590_4561034_n

Juneau today 7 years-
puppy ears standing up? 304284_10151351132176590_1188130068_n
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:49 am

It doesn't happen often - honestly I have never seen or heard of a purebred Sibe having that problem. Seriously though, I would love to know what litter you are getting from. If i remember, they were huskavarna dogs, no?
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:53 am

Floopy ears can be found in Seppala dogs.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:57 am

True, Ceara. I meant show lines. I'm sure it's more than possible, but I haven't seen it.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:59 am

Sorry Megan - it wasn't directed at you. It was in response to the question if the floopy ears were possible.

Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:03 am

I have seen a poorly bred Siberian, purebred, who's ears did not stand. They were too over sized and too under substanced to be able to stand erect. But that is poor breeding, nothing in that litter would have been evaluated to be anything more than pet quality. Providing the breeding behind the puppy is of quality and proven lines you don't have to worry. Ears will eventually stand, it's part of our breed. The main thing to be evaluating is the structure of the puppy, rears, elbows, angles, etc.

This is a dog with no quality breeding behind it, but is purebred. The ears are way over sized and were paper thin so there was no substance to help the ear stand-

puppy ears standing up? 155
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:03 am

Oh I know!! I just wanted to reiterate what I meant...thats the problem with forums. Sometimes, perception isn't helpful.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:05 am

Sorry for the misunderstanding <3 Smile

Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:31 am

Our pup is not from Huskavarna. Our breeder at Kalara does have several dogs from there though. There were 10 ears in our litter, at 7 weeks only 3 aren't up yet. A problem this does not make. Smile more of a "hey, I wonder what is normal for.......??"

And this was in no way questioning our pups breeding, cause they're from show dogs from excellent kennels.

More of an abstraction, not related to actual circumstances in our situation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: puppy ears standing up?   puppy ears standing up? Empty

Back to top Go down

puppy ears standing up?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1