It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Not eating/puking bile- help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loki2012
Puppy
Puppy
Loki2012

Female Join date : 2013-01-06

Not eating/puking bile- help! Empty
PostSubject: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 6:45 pm

today and yesterday loki hasn't been eating very much maybe a cup of food a day, he usually eats 3-3.5. And he today puked up bile twice. Hes drinking a ton,and had a bad experience at the dog park today. I'm worried because hes eating so little in comparison, he is acting normal otherwise except for the occasional whining which stops if i play with him for a while. Im worried it might be something serious. He is pooping less (less food i guess) and its hard to tell anything because his poops are always different, sometimes runny/soft/hard. He is 6 months old should i maybe change his food?
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:09 pm

What food are you feeding? Also what color is the bile?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Loki2012
Puppy
Puppy
Loki2012

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:39 pm

hes eating kirkland puppy food becuase theres no fillers, and the bile is yellow.
Back to top Go down
GingerDog
Puppy
Puppy
GingerDog

Female Join date : 2013-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 2:01 am

How long has he been on his food and has he had a problem with it before?

If he's still drinking and acting mostly normal, you should be able to wait a day or two and see if it passes. If he gets worse ( can't hold down food/water, has diarrhea with blood in it, starts getting lethargic) or the vomiting/diarrhea persists, I would take him to your vet.
Dogs can miss meals for a couple days and be ok. If you wanted, holding him off of food for half a day and feeding rice and boiled chicken (or similar bland diet) for a day or two can help.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 4:08 am

Yellow bile usually means the dog is hungry. Feed him a bland diet for awhile to get him eating again. Bland diet can be anything from rice and boiled chicken to cottage cheese and boiled chicken or turkey.

What flavor is his food? I know a lot of Siberians have trouble with chicken flavor. I don't know a lot about Kirkland dog food, but just from looking at dog food scoops and dog food advisor, I would probably find a different food to feed. If you check out the thread "what are you feeding your husky" you will find lots of different brands.
Back to top Go down
Loki2012
Puppy
Puppy
Loki2012

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Loki2012
Puppy
Puppy
Loki2012

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 6:22 pm

I bought him new food and hes eating more than he was of the other kind. But he is still whining if hes not playing or sleeping. He doesnt seem to be in pain at all since he still playsatively and runs around like a crazy boy.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Glad to hear that he is eating better! What brand did you buy, if I may ask?

Also what do you mean by he's whining? I don't really understand what you mean. Like whining to get your attention? Or what exactly?
Back to top Go down
Loki2012
Puppy
Puppy
Loki2012

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Yes like attention grabbing whines, anytime hes notdoing anything. I got Acana (canadian food from alberta)supposed to be really good for them
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 8:33 pm

That is an excellent brand! Good choice!!

When he whines for attention, completely ignore him. He will learn through trial and error that whining won't get him anywhere. Don't give in to his puppy eyes either! When you give in to his whining, to him that means whenever he wants attention, all he has to do is make a noise and you'll give it to him. You should be giving attention to him on your terms only. He'll learn eventually. Kennedy was one of those who would try and nudge her head under my hands to pet her, and it was soo annoying. It took her about 2 weeks and she learned that I will give out attention when it is on my time, not hers.

I hope the food works out better for you!
Back to top Go down
Loki2012
Puppy
Puppy
Loki2012

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 3:34 pm

I have noticed now that hes back to not eating as much, but the whining has stopped and his poops are back to normal. Its just that he is eating half of what he was last week. Could he just be cutting back because his growing is slowing down?
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 3:39 pm

How old is Loki? (Sorry if I missed it before)

We went through the same thing with Stark at a certain point, so that could very well be it. Huskies (from my experience) are usually pretty good at regulating how much they want to eat. Although I would never free feed mine, Stark will let me know when he's full.

As long as he's not in pain, he should be okay. Has he been throwing up lately?
Back to top Go down
Loki2012
Puppy
Puppy
Loki2012

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 5:23 pm

he has been puking bile, every other day in the morning. alwys in the morning with one exception after the dog park one afternoon. he will eat some food if i put bacon grease on it, but not right away like he used to, he will wait and eat it a couple hours later. he acts normal now, he was whining alot, but more of an attention whine, didnt sound painful. his poops were dark orangy for 2 days then i bought the new food and he got diarrha but it was back to the right color. and now its solid again.
Back to top Go down
Loki2012
Puppy
Puppy
Loki2012

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 5:24 pm

oh and he is 6 months old
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 5:43 pm

What time / how often are you feeding him? Stark would throw up bile almost every day when he was being fed once a day, so now he gets fed twice a day and will have a snack (tripe, chicken feet etc) mid-day....
Back to top Go down
Loki2012
Puppy
Puppy
Loki2012

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 pm

he was getting fed when i get up, a snack at lunch and then at dinner again, he didn't always eat it all. now he has an auto feeder, but he has barely been eating.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Have you taken him to the vet at all to see if there is anything medically wrong with him?
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Have you taken him to the vet? Huskies are known for self-regulating when it comes to food, but he shouldn't be avoiding food to the point of producing bile. I also generally don't like auto feeders. I think putting food out at a certain time and letting them have a certain about of time to eat it is best, but that's just my opinion. It makes them eat food when they're given it and not have the option to ignore it.

I'd take him to the vet if it was me, just to rule out anything else that could be causing trouble. Him not eating all of his food isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you're feeing the correct amount for his age and weight, but if he's eating enough and frequently enough, he shouldn't be throwing up bile so often.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 8:49 pm

Has he been puking in the morning still? Yukon used to throw up every morning and I figured out it was because his stomach was empty and producing too much acid. He would also puke up the yellowish bile, so I started feeding him 4 times a day. 3/4 cup at 6am, 1/4 cup at noon, 3/4 cup at 5pm and 1/4 cup at 8pm and he stopped puking in the AM>
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 10:10 pm

How often do you feed? Forgive me, I did't thoroughly read every post so I am sorry if my questions are redundant.
Please, do not put bacon grease on the food. Large amounts of fat can cause pancreatitis and I would get very nervous about that.

He won't need to eat as much of the Acana. It is pretty high protein.

Bile pukes can have a lot to do with too much time between feedings.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 11:11 pm

I would decrease the amount of time between his last feeding of the day and his first feeding of the day and see if that helps maybe divide up his food even more and feed him four times a day for awhile to see if that helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not eating/puking bile- help!   Not eating/puking bile- help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Not eating/puking bile- help!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1