It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
pierody

Male Join date : 2013-01-29

Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! Empty
PostSubject: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 2:48 pm

I have a 5 month male and a 3 month female , i got told to spay/neuter them at 6months. would they still grow big how they suppose to? or should i wait till the are one year?

thank you.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 2:52 pm

I wouldn't wait to neuter them, one heat is all it takes to have an unwanted liter of pups. I had Lucian neutered at about 5 months old, and it hasn't stopped his growth one bit.
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 2:55 pm

The best window from what I've been told is 6-8 months. If you wait later then you may be facing behavior issues and marking. I know that a good friend of mine has waited a year to neuter their pup so he could "fill out". So far I haven't seen him grow any bigger and he seems to be super aggressive with other males and has kind of been an a$$ hat when I bring Thane over.
Back to top Go down
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
pierody

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Im going to neuter the male first, (even tho people tell me not to do it lol) would I need to keep the female away from him for a couple of days?

im sorry im just a new husky owner Smile im trying to learn all to give him the best.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Why not spay the female first before her first heat? And then neuter the male between 8-12 months? I wouldn't want my females going through a heat.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
pierody

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:16 pm

SPAY THE FEMALE FIRST? SHES GOING TO BE 3 MONTHS NEXT WEEK. ISNT SHE TOO YOUNG ?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:19 pm

You don't need to do it now, you were asking for an order- I suggested the female first before a heat and the male afterwards. My youngest male was neutered very early and I personally feel he is very immature and would have benefitted being neutered at a later time. He was 4/5 months old.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 pm

You want to be able to spay her before she goes into her first heat, which usually is between 6-8 mos.
You can probably wait another couple of months before spaying her...but I would def get her fixed first.
Back to top Go down
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
pierody

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:25 pm

I SHOULD DO THE FEMALE AT 6 MONTHS AND THE MALE AT 8 .
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Yes that would be a good idea. Letting a female go through the first heat is not a good idea, there are complications that a female going into heat that can be prevented by spaying her before it happens.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:40 pm

I got my guy neutered at 4 month's old and he's about 70 lbs now and 26" tall. So, I don't think neutering young will stunt their growth. I waited to spay my female until she was 9 months old (after her first heat) and it was the worst mistake EVER! Trust me, do it before her first heat!
Back to top Go down
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
pierody

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:47 pm

OK THEN THEY ARE GOING TO GET NEUTER/SPAY PRETTY SOON. HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO KEEP THEM APART. THE MALE HEALS WITHIN 2-3 DAYS THATS WHAT I GOT TOLD AND THE FEMALE TAKES ABOUT A WEEK OR SO.??
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:30 pm

I'm just throwing this out there, so take it as you will.

I personally think it is safer and healthier to spay a female after her first heat. Yes they can get prego, and if you aren't responsible enough to keep her from getting knocked up, then by all means, spay early. The theory that females to beat being spayed before a first heat is flawed and outdated. Vets have been showing that way of thought down our throats for years, and nobody has begun to question it until recently. My Sheba is 8 months old and in her first heat. No, she is not prego and she WON'T be prego because hey, I have common sense. Females should be allowed at least one heat so they can get crucial hormones flowing through their body. YES they are at risk for complications if allowed to go through a heat, but it's not like the minute they start a heat the chances are raised astronomically. With medium breed dogs, they shouldn't be either spayed or neutered until they have reached physical and mental maturity.

There are far more complications from spaying early then waiting for a heat. Take what I said as you will, but the whole "scare tactic" to spay early is a load of BS and I thought you should get another point of view.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
pierody

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:36 pm

I GOT TOLD THAT BY A LOT OF PEOPLE AS WELL. I JUST WANT WHATS BEST FOR THEM I WANT THEM TO GROW UP GOOD AND HEALTHY. AND YOU GOT A POINT. THANK U SO MUCH.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Just do some research on both sides of the argument and make your own educated decision. That's all I ask!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
pierody

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:44 pm

I BEEN RESEARCHING FOR A WHILE AND IM 50/50 SOME SAY ITS BAD TO DO IT AND SOME SAY ITS BETTER TO DO IT EARLY. I ASKED MY VET AND THEY SAID 6 MONTHS. EVEN CESAR MILLAN ( DOG WHISPERER ) SAID 6 MONTHS LMAO
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Please turn off your caps lock. :p
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:58 pm

I Wouldn't necessarily follow the advice of Caesar Milan, but hey that's just my opinion Wink

I would recommend doing it before her first heat. There is conclusive information that spaying before the female has a chance to experience a heat cycle drastically reduces the chance of mammary tumors. That can be a really, really expensive surgery that even many pet insurances won't cover if the dog was spayed late. That being said, you can wait to neuter the male, as I too feel that there is little risk in waiting for the male. But, I feel that the benefit of spaying on females far outweighs the risk. That is just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 5:05 pm

Spay/neuter and the age at which to do it is a personal preference. Veterinarians will almost all say to spay/neuter at/around/prior to 6 months or age - as that is around the time when *most* female dogs will enter their first season - which is when they can get pregnant.

An early spay/neuter will not "stunt" the animals growth. Spaying/neutering (early or otherwise) usually has the opposite effect and ends up making the dogs grow taller and become more obese.

If you cannot (or think you cannot) handle a dog that will be bleeding all over your house..you should probably get her fixed prior to her first heat. If you cannot deal with the possibility of any stray male dogs surrounding your house, trying to break into your house to get to the female (I know of several people who have had either their females jump through their windows or had males jump through windows to get to each other), baying and howling and screaming outside of your home and if you don't want to deal with or can't deal with the idea of the younger male getting to the female and possibly tying with her...you might want to consider getting her spayed before her heat.

**My** personal preference (after extensive research) is I will not alter any female under the minimum age of 18 months but more closely to 24 months. The reason for that is females only get certain hormones from going into heat and growth plates are closed usually by that time in medium sized dogs. I have no intention of neutering any male dog I acquire unless I am under contract to do so. However, I have no problem with a female being in heat and I have no problem containing them.

A pro to spaying before the first heat is that is drops the chance of getting mammary cancer to near zero percent (chances go up every heat after). No risk of an accidental breeding and not of getting pyometra (a deadly uterine infection).

For the average pet owner - I strongly suggest spay/neuter prior to the first heat and neuter by the vets advice.

Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 5:15 pm

pierody wrote:
I BEEN RESEARCHING FOR A WHILE AND IM 50/50 SOME SAY ITS BAD TO DO IT AND SOME SAY ITS BETTER TO DO IT EARLY. I ASKED MY VET AND THEY SAID 6 MONTHS. EVEN CESAR MILLAN ( DOG WHISPERER ) SAID 6 MONTHS LMAO

Early-age spay/neuter (altering of young animals under 10 weeks or there about usually) is a source of a lot of controversy. 6 months is not "early" as it's really the universally accepted age to spay/neuter pets.

I would not personally spay/neuter any animal under 6 months (except maybe in the smaller breeds of dogs who reach sexual maturity sooner).

Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
pierody

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 5:20 pm

yes im thinking of doin the male at 7 months and the female at 6 months. right now bella is 3 months and Bandit is 5 months .
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 5:22 pm

For the average pet owner, especially one with intact male and female living under the same roof, I suggest early spay/neuter. The risk of an accidental breeding is far too high if the person is not 100% diligent in keeping the male and female separated for the entire month the bitch is in heat. That means separate potty times, no joined play times, kenneling in separate areas of the house, listening to the howling and pining as the cycle progresses (both male and female), cleaning up the bloody messes, etc. As stated in previous comments early spay/neuter does not 'stunt' growth but does often have the opposite effect in producing larger dogs both in height and width. The health benefits alone are enough to consider spaying before the first heat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 5:23 pm

When I got Nikko I knew without a doubt I was going to get him neutered, and I did a lot of research. There is so much information out there, and depending on where you look and who you talk to you will get different answers. It really is between you and your vet on what is best for your dog and situation.

From all of the research that I read, I felt it was best to get him neutered early. Some vets I talked to would not neuter until they were 10-12 months, but the one I eventually went with did both of mine at 4 months of age. It worked out great with both of my dogs and I am glad I did not wait.

Their vet schedule was: 11 weeks = shots, 14 weeks = shots, and then at 17 weeks they got their final shots along with their neuter.
Back to top Go down
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
pierody

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 5:34 pm

thank you guys for all the help. as a new owner of 2 husky i wanna learn all. so if you guys have any tips. let me know thanks Wink
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 10:53 pm

I did both Balon (male husky) and Ruby (female lab) at about 5 1/2 months. Both did fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! Empty

Back to top Go down

Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next