It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture! Empty
PostSubject: Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture!   Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture! EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 4:41 am

Not really sure where to post this, but here it goes.

So Kennedy has this MAJOR problem of licking furniture. To the point where it looks like she peed on it! Does anybody else's dog do this? Is there anyway to get her to stop? Or is this just something I have to deal with? It starts out with her licking herself, then all the sudden she thinks the furniture is super tasty.

Here is the aftermath of her obsession.
Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture! Iz5ow1

IT'S SO GROSS!! Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture! 1625187496

Last edited by Sheba&Kennedy on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture!   Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture! EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 11:30 am

Actually never seen that one.

Clicking on the topic I figured it was of people or themselves (Paws or Privates). Never seen a pup just lick furniture to that degree.

Is there a reason why it would taste good (Do you eat on it)? Is it only this chair?

Quote :
Is there anyway to get her to stop?

Like anything it is just a behavior she has that can be curved but might never stop fully. You should be able to control it to acceptable levels if you are vigilant on it.

In a case with a fixation it tends to be just about breaking that frame of mind. They get stuck in this way of thinking and need to be helped out of it every now and again.

If I noticed a lick I would instantly exclaim NO and request she get OFF and go LAY DOWN somewhere else. You shouldn't even need to touch but a simple poke on the early stages could help get the message across.

It isn't meant to be mean or punish them, it is more about waking the brain up and realizing "Whoa. Something I was just doing wasn't right". They should eventually pick up on what that something is.

Quote :
It starts out with her licking herself, then all the sudden she thinks the furniture is super tasty.

If you can get the correction around this exact time it will help to reinforce it that much better. They might space out, but they can still tell the difference between licking fur or fabric. Making that correlation with the texture should help a lot in understanding what is wrong exactly.

You can also try simple solutions.

An Application of bitter apple could do the trick and doesn't stink all that bad.

Providing her with something she SHOULD be licking could do the trick as well. Marrow bones come to mind, Peanut butter/yogurt filled Kong. It could be used as redirection or proactively before it gets to that point.

If she doesn't have one, a doggy bed. Something she could lick without it being that big of an issue.

It shouldn't be something you have to live with. Correct it when you see it enough times and they start to catch on pretty fast. Make sure it is right at the point she switches from herself to the furniture if you can and if you work at it it should go away in due time.

Hope it helps or at least provides a bit of a path.

Best of luck Smile

~Chris~

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture!   Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture! EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 12:57 pm

Chris has great ideas.
Watch out for the bitter apple unless washed off that shit stays on there, if you touch the area and then eat with ur hands or touch ur mouth you will taste it!

Jack licks blankets and the sofa but not for very long to leave a really wet spot. Its not near as bad as urs.would love to know if anyone knows why.

Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture!   Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture! EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 6:02 pm

We have a couch and a cuddler. She does this to both the couch and the chair. Doesn't matter where. Nobody really sits on this side of the couch, so it's not because we spilled something on it. I only wish it was because we spilled something on it!

I will start to keep a better eye on her so I can correct her and hopefully redirect her. It just drives me crazy!

I would also be interested if anyone knows why she would do this!

Oh and yes she has a doggy bed Smile. They have a king sized orthopedic bed. She usually only uses it when she can't sleep on my bed with me. Other then that she sleeps on the couch or chair. She does this to my bed too actually.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture!   Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture! Empty

Back to top Go down

Kennedy is a crazy licker of furniture!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1