It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Picky Eater!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
justeen.farrell
Newborn
Newborn
justeen.farrell

Female Join date : 2013-01-06

Picky Eater! Empty
PostSubject: Picky Eater!   Picky Eater! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Hey guys, I have a bit of a picky eater on my hands, which is probably my own fault because I made the mistake of giving him little tid bits of my own food every now and then.. Not anything that would hurt him, Just whatever meat I am eating, or fruits or veggies (I am trying not to do it as much).. First food i had him on was Nutro - Natural Choice Puppy (dry food) and he didn't really like it.. Then I switched to Taste Of The Wild-Lamb formula.. And he still doesn't really like it.. Can somebody recommend something that is tasty that he might actually enjoy eating, that will be healthy for him too? thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

Picky Eater! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Picky Eater!   Picky Eater! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 6:31 pm

I think it really depends on the dog and his taste. What works well of one dog won't for another. If you have a nice local pet store, they sometimes give out sample sizes of different foods, and you could see what he likes? Hopefully someone else will have more advice, good luck!
Back to top Go down
justeen.farrell
Newborn
Newborn
justeen.farrell

Picky Eater! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Picky Eater!   Picky Eater! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 6:35 pm

That's true! But the thing is, the only good pet stores are an hour drive away, and I don't go in all that often! I have to go in tomorrow, and need to pick something up for him! Thanks for the advice anyway Smile
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Picky Eater! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Picky Eater!   Picky Eater! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 6:39 pm

I'm really liking the Nature's Variety Raw Boost kibble. Other options, if you want to feed your pup human like food, is dehydrated and freeze-dried raw. The Honest Kitchen and Grandma Lucys are my favorites and I have been combining his kibble and HK Thrive for the past month and a half. He never skips a meal lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Picky Eater! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Picky Eater!   Picky Eater! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 8:39 pm

Are you looking to stay in a budget?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Picky Eater! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Picky Eater!   Picky Eater! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 8:45 pm

Honestly, by switching his food you are just creating more of a picky eater. The dog won't starve himself and will eat eventually. If you switch it up every time he sticks his nose up, he'll catch on to that and use it to his advantage.

I don't like Nutro, though. I'd go with Earthborn, Acana, or Nature's Variety (as long as your dog does not have urinary tract issues since most of their food is high ash content).

MOST companies, if you e-mail them, will send you little samples of their food.
Back to top Go down
justeen.farrell
Newborn
Newborn
justeen.farrell

Picky Eater! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Picky Eater!   Picky Eater! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:00 pm

i never thought of it that way! and that's true cause he always eventually ate the food, and i always at least finished the bag before i bought another! i would say this will be the last time i switch, and i will make sure it's something worth buying.. if he doesn't like it he'll have to deal with it i guess, lol! how would you know if your dog has urinary tract issues, do you know? or is that something your vet would notice? and i had no idea dog food companies did that! great to know Smile thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Picky Eater! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Picky Eater!   Picky Eater! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Well, they'd be getting UT infections. Not as common in males as in females. Same signs as a UTI in a human for the most part.
Back to top Go down
justeen.farrell
Newborn
Newborn
justeen.farrell

Picky Eater! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Picky Eater!   Picky Eater! EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 5:29 pm

I ended up switching to Blue Buffalo - Wilderness Puppy, and he seems to like it Smile I think this is what I'm going stick with from now on!! Smile
Back to top Go down
clarke23
Newborn
Newborn
clarke23

Male Join date : 2013-01-22

Picky Eater! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Picky Eater!   Picky Eater! EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 4:03 pm

Might have to give that one a try, Cali is extremely picky too. I cant find a dry dog food that she likes
Back to top Go down
justeen.farrell
Newborn
Newborn
justeen.farrell

Picky Eater! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Picky Eater!   Picky Eater! EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 12:39 am

he loves it now shane!! you really should try it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Picky Eater! Empty