It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ThePotatoPlanet
Newborn
Newborn
ThePotatoPlanet

Male Join date : 2013-01-10

My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed' Empty
PostSubject: My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed'   My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed' EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 7:35 pm

My husky started to bleed about four days ago and on the first day she began to whine. At first i thought she was home-sick as i had just got her from a distant relative who did not have the time and energy to look after Zoe. The first two days of it i was not sure what was wrong with her, then on wednesday she was in schedule for the vet. We took her and she got her usual shot and she got given her worm tablets and her flea drops. That was all good she was 100% healthy but a little overweight and he told me that she was on her 'bleed'. I think it might be that she has no one to mate with as she is fenced up in my backyard. Now (4 Days in) she has began to whine and howl more and more. She began at 6am and woke the whole house, she has not stopped since. Now to my question :

Is there anything wrong with her?
Is it normal for a Female Husky to do this?
Is there anyway to calm her down and stop it?

A few small details about her:

Pure-breed Siberian Husky
1.5 Years old

Thanks in advance.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed'   My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed' EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 8:51 pm

It is normal and really the only thing you can do is have her spayed to stop it. Right now she's in early stages of her heat cycle, almost optimal fertility (7-10 days) and it is imperative she is not allowed to be unsupervised with intact males. This is important for the duration of a month as she is potentially fertile for 16-23 days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed'   My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed' EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Did you vet not tell you about females heat cycles? PLEASE please PLEASE do not mate her, you can get doggie diapers to put on her to help with the blood. you may notice intact males (strays) hanging around your house now because of her. it would be safest for her if she is kept inside right now till you have her spayed.
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/pregnancybirthindogs/f/k9_estrus.htm

Newborn
Newborn
ThePotatoPlanet

Male Join date : 2013-01-10

PostSubject: Re: My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed'   My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed' EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 10:06 pm

jbealer wrote:
Did you vet not tell you about females heat cycles? PLEASE please PLEASE do not mate her, you can get doggie diapers to put on her to help with the blood. you may notice intact males (strays) hanging around your house now because of her. it would be safest for her if she is kept inside right now till you have her spayed.
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/pregnancybirthindogs/f/k9_estrus.htm

The vet did talk about heat cycles, though not in much detail. He explained the majority of the cycle. I just forgot the word... I thought i might ask you does her cycle give her any problems when its hot? It is about 30 degrees C and 86 degrees F. She seems to have calmed down. My area has no strays and she is in an inclosed area with cool water and food. I also don't want to mate her. Keeping her is fine but 3-5 more of her. No thanks.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed'   My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed' EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 10:25 pm

No it's not temperature related. She is 'in heat' it does not mean she's more susceptible to hot climates. Though leaving her intact leaves her at risk for an unwanted breeding, intact males can be quite persistent when they smell a female in prime estrus. Also the more cycles she goes through the higher the risk of uterine cancers, pyometra, false pregnancies, etc. If she is not breeding quality and not intended to be bred it is best to have her altered.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed'   My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed' EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 pm

To clear up any miscommunication, "a female heat cycle" in a dog is the equivalent of a female person's period, or menstrual cycle. Dogs have them once every roughly 4-6 months instead of once a month.

My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed' Hailey10
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed'   My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed' EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 10:32 pm

Your husky is normal.
She's just biologically wanting to find a mate.
Like Lani said, it can last almost the entire month, even once the blood is gone.
They don't have to be strays. When Soshanna would go into heat, she would attract my neighbors dog from just over a mile away. He was her brother, and he wasn't allowed to roam free, but during heat, he found his way out, and over to my house, sometimes multiple times a day.
I think she'll be fine being in heat, in heat (lol). Just lots of shade and cool water.
If you're not breeding her, You oughtta cut her right as soon as this cycle is finished. Its the safest thing for your dog.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed'   My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed' EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 10:40 am

Freya just recently finished her first heat, it was not pleasant. I invested in doggy diapers for her and they were great. Freya too got a bit whiney, which I later found out from that she was just being a hussy and wanted to sleep around Razz.

Keep her in, dont take her out anywhere as she's probably coming into her fertile time if she's getting whiney. Be really observant of her as male dogs will go to great lengths to get to a female on heat, even dig under/climb over fences.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed'   My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed' Empty

Back to top Go down

My Husky Zoe on her 6 Month Mating 'Bleed'

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1