It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
AuthorMessage
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 4:31 pm

With a Karnovanda dog you don't have much to worry about. He definitely looks like he has his sire's head/face shape.

I think some of the angles are misleading to his true size and shape though.

Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 1:11 am

Angles make such a huge difference. When I first saw the pics this morning, my first thought was how much he reminded me of my last boy Husky, Malukhai...theres just something about him that Malukhai instantly came in my head. I love that look. I found a pic of Malukhai where he seems to have that slightly longer, or more narrow, face...then I found a profile pic where, to me anyways, his face doesnt look long at all. Here they are so you can see what I mean. Echo's ears do look a bit big to me (but well shaped in my untrained opinion) but I wasnt sure if it could be attributed to his age. Beautiful dog!!! Smile

Here I think Malukhai's face looks a lil longer/more narrow
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 002_210

And here I dont think it looks long at all
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 75611
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 2:34 am

Echo's_mom wrote:
Thanks guys! He's definitely purebred, just not very photogenic! He hates having a camera pointed at him Smile I think it's his dark mask and his parti-eye that make his face look a little off balance. I don't have many good pictures of his head.

Here are some different angles:
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 Imag1510

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 Img_1610

I have a Karnovanda dog, who also happens to be out of Aizik. Cato is older, so looks less juvenile. Your guy will fill out, give it time. There is nothing that looks concerning at all. I'm assuming he was purchased on a pet contract?

I posted Cato in the recent HOTM album, he's in my sig and in my picture. I'd post another picture now but my iPad is being a brat.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 10:27 am

Echo's_mom wrote:
Thank you HuskyMom. Just some background info I forgot to add: he's from Karnovanda kennels, his sire is Karnovanda's Aizik Wolf and his dam is Karnovanda's Miss Congeniality. I don't think he got his ears from his dad Very Happy And Amy, don't fluff his ego! He already prances around like he's the hottest dog at the park!

That's funny. The 8 month old picture made me think he has the Karnovanda face, but not the current pictures. As Lani and Megan said (they are truly the experts) he will grow into those ears and his head/face will change a lot, and change a lot as he matures. I'm starting to feel like (depending on the breeding line) males aren't fully mature until they are 3 or 4. Also, keep in mind, he'll look totally different when he blows his coat.

Overall I think he's a very nice example of the breed and he's a handsome fella. I love his markings (but don't get too attached, those might change too). Wink
Back to top Go down
Echo's_mom
Newborn
Newborn
Echo's_mom

Female Join date : 2014-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 11:57 am

mbarnard0429 wrote:
I have a Karnovanda dog, who also happens to be out of Aizik. Cato is older, so looks less juvenile. Your guy will fill out, give it time. There is nothing that looks concerning at all. I'm assuming he was purchased on a pet contract?

Cato is very handsome! Echo was purchased on a pet contract, just curious as to how he compared to the standard.

I'm trying not to get attached to the markings! They've faded and come back a couple times already so who knows what they will look like in another year!
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Maybe I'll post a couple more pictures when he's older to see how he matures.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 2:00 pm

Heads tend to be one of the last things to mature. This is Denali, granted he's not Karnovanda so his maturity rate won't be the same....but a comparison

15 months
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 395237_10150633659026590_861913000_n
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 417410_10150633659136590_132639666_n

4.5 years
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 1558573_10152152902471590_527004316_n
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 1463922_10151983877456590_980214010_n
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
akechisama
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 2:32 pm

hi again everyone!

i just adopted a new male puppy..

and i would gladly to hear any realistic look at my boy
now he's 3 months 2 weeks, thanks before!

this is he when he was 2 months old, i read before that dog will go back to his shape at that age
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 WMN_6285
image url

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 IMG_20150403_141633
pic upload

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 IMG_20150407_101417
gif uploader

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 IMG_20150407_102117
upload foto

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 IMG_20150407_101712
imagen
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Can't comment knowledgebly on conformation. But, to my eyes, he is a pretty boy. With Wabbit ears, at the moment lol! And I love his mask.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 7:05 pm

To be completely honest, that age is a terrible time to evaluate a puppy- 8 weeks is the latest to look seriously at evaluation, then it's a waiting game until they are between 1-2 years. Have to ignore some of the wonky stages LOL
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 7:48 pm

here's Cato now:

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 Image.jpg1_zpsnb3a7lih

At 2.5 he was looking awesome here. He looks so much like his dad, but has Mom's eyes.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 8:00 pm

Megan - he's beautiful! In your signature, he looks like Jeff's Link! Any relation?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 8:16 pm

Amy, he might be. Somewhere in the back.

Cato is my special boy. He's momma's heart dog and he knows it.
Back to top Go down
Echo's_mom
Newborn
Newborn
Echo's_mom

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 8:20 pm

Cato looks so happy! I don't know if Echo is focused enough to be in any shows Smile
I think Echo looks a lot like his dad too. His markings are almost identical so I'm hoping he keeps them because I love Aizik's markings!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 8:22 pm

They'll fade a little, but he will keep some. Cato's mom was almost white and Cato's actually got quite a bit more markings now but they go in and out of prominence.

Honestly, we didn't know if we would like to show and so we joined UKC altered. Cato loves it. He feels like the biggest hotshot ever when he's running around the ring
Back to top Go down
Echo's_mom
Newborn
Newborn
Echo's_mom

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 8:38 pm

Then maybe Echo would like to show. He could be running around the yard, and out of nowhere he holds his head up and starts trotting around like a show dog! So did you buy Cato as a pet puppy?
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 8:48 pm

HuskyMom09 wrote:
To be completely honest, that age is a terrible time to evaluate a puppy-  8 weeks is the latest to look seriously at evaluation, then it's a waiting game until they are between 1-2 years.  Have to ignore some of the wonky stages LOL

Huskymom, at 8 weeks, or before, what kind of things are you able to identify to help you know what the puppy will grow into? I'm hoping I don't have to get another husky for a long long time, so this is more a question for curiosity and to tuck away in my brain for future reference. With Mishka for example, she was one of two girls in the litter...she and her sister looked pretty much completely different except for their coats. I know why I chose Mishka, but don't really know if I chose the better of the two as far as conformation so I'm just curious what you look for at that age to help you know, for instance, which one could be a show dog and which one couldn't.

And your pics of Denali, amazing...I love his look so much, he's a beautiful husky
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 10:16 pm

Echo's_mom wrote:
Then maybe Echo would like to show. He could be running around the yard, and out of nowhere he holds his head up and starts trotting around like a show dog! So did you buy Cato as a pet puppy?

Yes, I purchased Cato as a pet from Judy and Sarah. I see them both frequently at shows and have seen Aizik, too. He's beautiful. Their grandpa, Tenzing, is stunning.

If you want to try, just make sure he's neutered as we do not have the right to breed our boys since they were sold on limited contracts and UKC has a loophole that would allow them to be registered differently.

I wouldn't be surprised if he likes to be int eh show ring - they come from a long, long line of great show dogs.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 10:19 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:

HuskyMom09 wrote:
To be completely honest, that age is a terrible time to evaluate a puppy-  8 weeks is the latest to look seriously at evaluation, then it's a waiting game until they are between 1-2 years.  Have to ignore some of the wonky stages LOL

Huskymom, at 8 weeks, or before, what kind of things are you able to identify to help you know what the puppy will grow into? I'm hoping I don't have to get another husky for a long long time, so this is more a question for curiosity and to tuck away in my brain for future reference. With Mishka for example, she was one of two girls in the litter...she and her sister looked pretty much completely different except for their coats. I know why I chose Mishka, but don't really know if I chose the better of the two as far as conformation so I'm just curious what you look for at that age to help you know, for instance, which one could be a show dog and which one couldn't.

And your pics of Denali, amazing...I love his look so much, he's a beautiful husky

The front is one of the most important things assessed at 8 weeks. Typically, if the front is straight then...it's not getting better. A straight front can hinder the ability to work adequately.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 10:45 pm

Megan - what does a straight front look like? I've always thought that Ami's front legs were too far back, though hard to tell, with all that fur. And his chest is getting much deeper as he matures. I'm begining to wonder if he actually has good angulation (I thought his hind was overly angulated but maybe not. Totally irrelevant, walking with the old lady really shouldn't be stressful to a husky, poor structure or not. Just hope he is not hip dysplastic...) I do know he is powerful!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 11:07 pm

Thank you Megan! I second Amy's question though, haha. Kohdi and Mishka for example, to me, have different fronts, Kohdi's chest just looks small to me whereas Mishka looks like a lil body builder, lol. But Kohdi is one that seems to walk on air so I really don't know which one has the more correct front
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 2:37 am

At 8 weeks, structurally, this is the closest to what the adult form will take.  This is where everything comes together for that brief moment between growth spurts.  You want to assess everything, and I mean literally everything.  Muzzle length to occiput length it is important the head be proportional to the dog, proper scissor bite, arch of neck, shoulder lay back, length of shoulder compared to forearm (should be equal), lower arm (elbow to wrist) should also be equal if not slightly longer than that of the shoulder measurement, depth of chest ( should be slightly less than the length of leg from elbow to the ground), length of pelvis (should also be equal to your shoulder measurement) back of the pelvis to the knee should again be equal to the shoulder length, knee to lower hock should be equal if not slightly longer.  Length of the back should be slightly longer than that of the overall height.

From the front, the chest should be proportional to the dog but never wide; a narrower chest gives more efficient movement in harness, but too narrow and you end up with harness fit issues and diminishing strength.  The dog should single-track without significant rolling motion in the trot.  Shape of the torso should have a flatness to the sides of the ribcage; this allows the front legs to glide along the sides without distorting the gait.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 28403410

Last edited by HuskyMom09 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 10:04 am

Thank you so much Huskymom. it's all very interesting and informative. Especially, for me anyways, that the structure of the dog is closest to its adult form at 8 weeks!
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 12:19 pm

So I was waiting till Simon was a little older to take updated pictures he is now 17 months old. I don't know how to get a dog to stack properly and I know the bandanna makes his neck look weird. Thanks for your input.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 03310

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 08710

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 04110

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 04510
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Hollyfrost
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 2:04 pm

n/t n/t

Last edited by Hollyfrost on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 6:31 pm

I didn't realize that Simon and Ronin were so close in age.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 25 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next