It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Considering going raw.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Female Join date : 2012-11-13

Considering going raw. Empty
PostSubject: Information on a raw food diet??   Considering going raw. EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 2:47 am

Hi,
My puppies name is Kao and shes just over 6 months. Ive got her on a salmon formula kibble which i have been supplimenting with kelp and salmon oil and the occasional raw bone. Ive kinda been considering trying her out on a raw food diet. My mom does it with her dogs and she loves it. I would have access to raw chicken. Im just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are to the raw diet, and if i do switch what kinda of extra suppliments would i need to add to the chicken to make sure shes getting all the good stuff she needs?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Considering going raw.   Considering going raw. EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 3:08 am

Hi Brittini!! I would definitely suggest searching through the raw feeding section - there is a lot to be read. Smile I can't begin to tell you everything. But, Chicken is a great way to start. Variety is key, but after you give your pup time to adjust.

I supplement with Coconut Oil, Vitamin E and Salmon Oil. I also throw in raw eggs a couple times a week.

This is a FANTASTIC group of people, with lots of knowledgeable raw feeders. Welcome to raw! Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

PostSubject: Re: Considering going raw.   Considering going raw. EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 3:11 am

Ohhh k Thanks! ill definatly check that out Smile
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

PostSubject: Considering going raw.   Considering going raw. EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 3:31 am

Hi,
My puppy kao is just over 6 months old and im considering switching her onto raw dog food. Im just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are? what kind of suppliments would i need to add to the meat? the only things holding me back from switching are im nervous im going to do something wrong and shes not going to get proper nutrion , and whether or not its going to cost me a lot more then feeding her kibble? im currently feeding her a high protein kibble supplimented with kelp and salmon oil and the occasional raw bone.
Also, ive been having some issues with skin infections on her belly. ive heard that raw food can help when it comes to skin problems, is that true?
Thank you!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Considering going raw.   Considering going raw. EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 4:04 am

Here is a listing of Co-ops. http://www.dogaware.com/diet/rawgroups.html

I would also suggest meat packing plants, hunters, fishermen...it can be a lot of work. But the only real disadvantages are for you - because you will have to prepare raw and watch your dog eat. Otherwise, I have found it to be the best thing to ever happen for my two. Not to mention, the TEETH will be amazing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Petra13
Newborn
Newborn
Petra13

Male Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Considering going raw.   Considering going raw. EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 6:54 am

You should be prepared , it is a time consuming job and read a lot .
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Considering going raw.   Considering going raw. EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 10:31 am

I would recommend having a read through the following thread and checking out the included links where a lot of your questions will be answered...

Considering a raw diet?

And if you have additional questions not answered there, feel free to ask!

FYI, I merged the two topics since they are pretty much duplicates in separate sub-forums.

Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

PostSubject: Re: Considering going raw.   Considering going raw. EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 12:55 am

ok thank you! Thats a lot of information. Is there any kind of chicken products that are bad to feed such as chicken MDM?
Back to top Go down
Kick
Newborn
Newborn
Kick

Male Join date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Considering going raw.   Considering going raw. EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 2:43 am

I would avoid mechanically deboned meat- but, on the other hand, it would still be multiple times better than kibble.

Try to get whole chicken when you can. Bone-in. Save the organs for later (after your pet is used to red meat).
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

PostSubject: Re: Considering going raw.   Considering going raw. EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 4:10 pm

That makes sense.

When making the switch from kibble to raw does it matter if i slowly switch from one to the other, or just switch straight from one to the other?

Also, I live in Chilliwack BC Canada, and all the websites im finding on here of places to get raw food seem to be USA based. We also dont have a Co-op here, just Safeway, Pricemart, and Save-on. I guess my only other option would be to go to the local butcher, the only thing is that their prices are usually quite high.... I have acess to chicken im just concerned with finding red meat at a low price......
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Considering going raw.   Considering going raw. EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Switch cold turkey.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Considering going raw.   Considering going raw. Empty

Back to top Go down

Considering going raw.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Nutrition and Feeding :: Raw Feeding Forum-