It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

"We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

"We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan Empty
PostSubject: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:10 am

My boys are bored with raw food nowadays. What should I do? Does anyone have the same issue with picky dogs. Honestly I've never seen a dog that doesn't take a raw steak when given one. They seldom touch their food now be it lamb, beef, chicken or kangaroo. I took their food up after half an hour and gave them the same thing the next meal and still they wouldn't touch it.

Do you think I should give them kibble in the morning and raw food at night for some variety?
Back to top Go down
Kick
Newborn
Newborn
Kick

Male Join date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 9:25 am

I think you should stick with tough love. Raw is many times better than kibble. The second u give into their demands is the second they will become more spoiled.

That's my thought. Huskies can last awhile without eating, remember that.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 11:04 am

Kick wrote:
I think you should stick with tough love. Raw is many times better than kibble. The second u give into their demands is the second they will become more spoiled.

That's my thought. Huskies can last awhile without eating, remember that.

Ditto, I would not try something new to entice them to eat. Is Titus still not feeling well? Are they possibly still stressed out over all that's been going on?

Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 11:29 am

Still coughing with that kennel cough.. He is not stress anymore, but he take some meds everyday and one of the meds actually reduces his appetite. He already loss 6lbs in weight.
Think Titus not eating is affecting Lycan as well. He is not really eating either.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Have you considered maybe just slightly searing the meat to make it a little more enticing? I wouldn't normally recommend it as you don't want him to start expecting it but perhaps just while his appetite and health are not at their best due the cough and meds? When you say he's already lost 6 lbs, is that just since he came home from the shelter or is it combined since he was taken away after the incident?

If Lycan is healthy I wouldn't change his food.

Newborn
Newborn
Petra13

Male Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 1:28 pm

How old are they ? Are they full age growth ? You can try in one day of the week nothing to give them at all , like the wolves .. There was a name for this kind of diet ..
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 5:28 pm

Quick question - are you feeding more than once a day? Delilah flat our refuses to eat if I feed her twice a day. I don't think she gets hungry enough. That may be a problem.

Titus could also be fasting himself a bit, as wolves do that in the wild when they are sick. It purges the body of toxins.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 10:25 pm

He lost 4 lbs in the pound and another 2 pounds since he is home.
I feed them twice a day, once at around 9am-10am and another around7.30pm-8.30pm.

This morning I overslept and they come wake me at around 10.30am looking for food. I gave them each a bowl of chicken quarter chopped into a few pieces. Titus finished his and took a few pieces from Lycan's bowl. Finally eating after a week of not really eating. Lycan only took a piece and look at me. So i gave him a bowl of kibbles (I still have some sample packs) and he ate them.

Titus is 18 months old (weight drop 72 pounds till 66 pounds) and Lycan is 6 months old (actually he didn't drop any weight, still increasing, currently at 78lbs).
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 10:26 pm

Try just feeding once a day for right now Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
KaiTheDog
Newborn
Newborn
KaiTheDog

PostSubject: Re: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 3:36 am

I notice Kai eats less when he is not getting a lot of exercise. When he gets a lot he will eat twice a day but when he is not he may only eat a small chicken leg.
Back to top Go down
Petra13
Newborn
Newborn
Petra13

Male Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 7:36 am

when there is a kibble around they smell it and dont wanna eat raw . It is like a drugs for dogs so maybe you have to throw the kibble .
Back to top Go down
Kick
Newborn
Newborn
Kick

Male Join date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Petra13 wrote:
when there is a kibble around they smell it and dont wanna eat raw . It is like a drugs for dogs so maybe you have to throw the kibble .

Very dependent on the dog though. I still have kibble in the pantry and he gulps up raw like nothing.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 8:41 pm

When Koda was about 8 months, he snubbed his raw. Only way I got him to eat it was cutting it up, having Jarod throw it, and making it into a game of Koda racing me to get the piece (and therefor eating it so I couldn't get it). That lasted maybe 2.5 months, it was so time consuming and frustrating. I think they all at some point attempt to go on strike. I just don't give in and waited for him to get over it. He hasn't refused food in over 3 years.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 12:45 am

Last night, they finished their food.. Maybe they are just self regulating. I'll keep an eye on their food intake though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan   "We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan Empty

Back to top Go down

"We are bored with raw food", said Titus and Lycan

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1