It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My husky is a shrimp! Why?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jumpjet19
Newborn
Newborn
jumpjet19

My husky is a shrimp! Why? Empty
PostSubject: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 11:25 pm

Hey all, my first post here! I'm the very proud owner of a handsome red with two blue eyes! Diesel just turned 1 on November 3rd, and here's the thing: he is nowhere in size I thought he'd be!

If you see the photos, he's only 45 pounds, the same as my wife's retriever/spaniel mix, Sweetie. Yet Sweetie is still a tad bit taller than him. He is a fireplug; super stout, zero fat, and looks like a seesaw when he runs. He is so sweet, has one HECK of a personality, and is best friends with his sister, though she's 4 and just 'tolerates' him.

He was just fixed last month, so the potential of it being done too soon and stunting his growth (if that's even possible) is nil. He typically eats a lot, though he's brought the pace with which he does it down over the summer.

Let me just say, if this is where he's topping out, I am perfectly fine with it. Or if he suddenly explodes in growth, that's cool, too! The fence in the photo is 4 feet. The reeds add a few more inches.

He doesn't have papers as his mom and dad apparently were two different breeding standards, or something like that. He's all husky, but he's small! Or is he?

My husky is a shrimp! Why? Img_2412

My husky is a shrimp! Why? Img_2511

My husky is a shrimp! Why? Img_2610

My husky is a shrimp! Why? Img_2710

My husky is a shrimp! Why? Img_2910

My husky is a shrimp! Why? Img_2911

My husky is a shrimp! Why? Photo_10

My husky is a shrimp! Why? Photo_11

My husky is a shrimp! Why? Photo_12
Back to top Go down
jumpjet19
Newborn
Newborn
jumpjet19

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 11:40 pm

Now that I've posted, I'm coming up with other things to say, of course. This isn't my first dog, but it is my first husky. Also, the breeder said Diesel wasn't the runt, but could this be? He came as a puppy pretty young and small.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 11:42 pm

Give him some more time. From what I've read Huskies will keep on growing until around the age of two. I'm sure others on the site will chime in soon with knowledge then me. Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
jumpjet19
Newborn
Newborn
jumpjet19

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 11:51 pm

Also forgot to mention that he's been this size for 3 months! It's so funny, and so fun to see him try and romp around with other huskies his age of just older...and much bigger! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 11:53 pm

He looks fine, they vary in size. Happy belated bday to Diesel, Him and i share the same bday! He will fill out around 18-24 months usually, but that doesn't always apply to these dogs. This breed is nothing normal or standard. You will read all the misconceptions people have of our dogs (or wolves, if you talk to my neighbors) color of eyes, coat, size and so on. Looks great though, can't wait to see more and hear of his teenage antics he pulls on you like my furkids do
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 11:56 pm

How tall is your husky at the withers? 45 lbs is totally normal. My boy was 22 inches tall and 44 lbs at 2 yrs of age. Now at 7 years of age he's 22 inches tall still and ranges from 48-50 lbs, well within breed standard.

Christina, sibes generally continue to fill out up to 2-3 yrs but I don't think their height really changes much beyond a year.

Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 11:58 pm

He is cute, like the picture of him looking over the fence. Love his color and the markings on his back.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 12:11 am

Wow he looks a lot like my maya. Love his red color! My girls are a lot smaller then most huskies at the dog park I go to. Some are normal size but there are others that are huge Shocked
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 12:12 am

Kody is 24 inches tall and started filling out recently. He's 2 years old and just hit the the 50lb mark. He's tall and lean..lol
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 12:22 am

Cato is about 21.5" and only around 45lbs. Just seems a little small. I wouldn't worry too much Smile

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 12:45 am

He sounds pretty normal to me lol. My guy actually came out a bit large! 11 months, 27", and 75lbs! lol They all just differ
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 12:53 am

Holy crud Lycus is huge!! I bet thats a lot of dog
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 1:31 am

mheath0429 wrote:
Holy crud Lycus is huge!! I bet thats a lot of dog
He is lol! Way past breed standard
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 2:04 am

Dante is 20.5" and 43 pounds at 16 months.
Kaiser is 22.5' and 45 pounds at 6.5 months
However height is an estimate considering neither would hold still bounce
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 2:09 am

Ezio is almost 8 months old and when he was last at the vet (a month ago) he weighed 50 pounds. It's funny how much they all differ!
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 3:19 am

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it, he's only a year old. Some lines continue to grow and develop well into their 4th year. If you are in contact with the breeder I'd find out more about the lines he comes from, how they developed, if there are any smaller dogs behind him, or if one of the parents have been consistently producing small.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 10:43 am

He really it within the standard..

My boy is just turned 2 years old he is about 22" and weights about 50lbs.

My girl is over 2years old she is about 20" and weights 42 lbs.

Happy b-day Diesel. I really like his markings on his back.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 11:05 am

Huskyluv wrote:
How tall is your husky at the withers? 45 lbs is totally normal. My boy was 22 inches tall and 44 lbs at 2 yrs of age. Now at 7 years of age he's 22 inches tall still and ranges from 48-50 lbs, well within breed standard.

Christina, sibes generally continue to fill out up to 2-3 yrs but I don't think their height really changes much beyond a year.

Exactly why I said someone with more knowledge will chime in soon, lol. I couldn't remember exactly how it went. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 11:29 am

Hayden is 26" 70 lbs at a year old and Nicky is 21.5" 40 lbs at 7 months old. Hayden isn't breed standard by any means. Like everyone else stated, they come in different sizes. Smile
Back to top Go down
jumpjet19
Newborn
Newborn
jumpjet19

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 11:36 am

Wow, such a great response from EVERYBODY! Thanks so much!

Yeah, I am not concerned, at all, about this size! In fact, if he stays this size, he's just like his sister, so that's great! But then again, if he does get bigger over the next year, then again...cool! He'll be able to pull my nieces easier on their sled!

Diesel has been this size since he was 9 months old, and one day I asked my wife if she thought he'd be any bigger. Diesel's dad was 50 pounds, his mom closer to 40, so that should tell me he's not going to be big. But boy, is he stout! I love wrestling with my dogs and he really stands his ground. So much fun...

His back markings are indeed great. When he was much smaller, the one spot on his back looked like a heart, which of course melted all of ours.

Hey, if I can start a new topic on this thread, I'd like to get him a good pulling harness and train him in it. Yeah, starting a bit late, but better late than never. Any suggestions? If possible, would prefer an American made harness, and possibly from Alaska or Montana, or the West, just to support those regions.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 11:46 am

jumpjet19 wrote:
Hey, if I can start a new topic on this thread, I'd like to get him a good pulling harness and train him in it. Yeah, starting a bit late, but better late than never. Any suggestions? If possible, would prefer an American made harness, and possibly from Alaska or Montana, or the West, just to support those regions.

Thanks!

At a year old you're not really late for starting training to pull in harness. I'd recommend an x-back harness but there are other good designs for pulling. I have a custom made x-back harness from Alpine Outfitters which is made in the state of Washington.

Here is a good thread you might want to read through:
Husky harness.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Just be careful until he is 18 months old. It can be very harsh on a pups joints until they are through growing. The breeder we got Cato from even advised nothing like agility or sledding until around 2 years.. But, I have taken him out in his X back to get used to Smile Just be safe! Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 6:15 pm

I wouldn't suggest pulling until 18months either. There is still a lot of growing happening between 1 and 2 years which, besides the strain on the growing body, can get expensive in the harness department quickly! I use Alpine Outfitters and I love them, they fit the dogs well and are easy to clean without worry of shrinking up. But be prepared to wait on your order if you order from them this time of year. All of their orders are custom built so it can take quite a bit of time especially since sledding season is ramping up.

Don't worry there is never an age that they stop learning or being willing to work in harness. I just started my 4 dog team and my oldest is 8 years old. Let me assure you he's probably just as excited if not more so than both of my 2 year olds combine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 6:51 pm

My Chocolate lab Ruby is a very small female lab, she is 55 lbs and a short English Lab. She is however gorgeous, she is a very deep chocolate and has a gorgeous head! Her Mom was 70-lbs and Dad was 80, I too was concerned that she was so small. She is not a dwarf, she is just petite. She just makes it into AKC standard, the rest of the litter is smaller, but not as small as she is. Her personality is totally lab, and totally sweet. I love her to death and I don't care she is small, she is very healthy.

Balon (husky) is about 9 months and about 50 lbs, he is already way taller then the lab lol. His Mom is 45lbs and Dad is about 55. He may be bigger then Dad, hard to tell.

What I am getting at is that just like us dogs come in all sizes and shapes. My most important thing is temperament, and both my dogs have very sweet dispositions!
Back to top Go down
jumpjet19
Newborn
Newborn
jumpjet19

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Two more months on and he's still the same size. And we're glad! In fact, he's still just a tad smaller than his sister, Sweetie, the retriever/springer mix. She's 4 years and he's just over a year, so she has the advantage in both courts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My husky is a shrimp! Why?   My husky is a shrimp! Why? Empty

Back to top Go down

My husky is a shrimp! Why?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next