It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Walking Two Dogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 9:33 pm

I seen a leash adapter at the pet store near our house yesterday and was wondering if these were any count? My problem is that its hard to walk both dogs together because Kota pulls pretty bad, and Skyler hardly leaves my side, so walking them both on separate leashes is sorta a pain. Granted I want this as a temporary thing since I would like to get Kota walking better, and she is but slowly.

Anyone have any advice or tips on walking two huskies together?
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 9:40 pm

We walk both of our dogs on separate leashes. When we first got Kerian I used a Ruffwear Roamer Leash

http://www.amazon.com/Ruffwear-Roamer-Leash-Obsidian-Black/dp/B000KC04FE/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1352158653&sr=8-23&keywords=ruff+wear+leash

You adjusted this leash to attach around your waist. I would attach Blaze to my waist and have kerian on a leash working on her walking she pulls like crazy.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 9:49 pm

We use :

Canine Equipment Beyond Control leash

Walking Two Dogs Bcl10

It's 10FT and has clips at both end.

Kelly also uses to umbilical Ripley when running.

I personally like having them on the one lead, as I can control them both by just pulling on one cord if I need to. I'm not fighting with two different leashes all together.

For getting them to walk nicely, well that just takes time and work.
If mine are being snotty I like to random change directions or stop all together here and there until they understand to start being polite and walk nicely. It tends to do the trick really fast.

I make them sit to refocus during really bad periods and apart from that it's just being calm, respectful of one another, and repetition.

~Chris~

Last edited by Tika on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 9:51 pm

See that looks like something that we could use for Skyler because like I said, she is currently attached to my hip. That may change since she is still just getting use to being with us and not with her Foster Mom, but I don't really see her doing much pulling since she is pretty well behaved, but ya never know.

Do you have a leash/harness/collar you recommend for Kota and her crazy pulling? Skyler has one of the Martingale collars, but Kota has a harness since she just chokes herself with a collar, those I haven't yet tried a Martingale on her, since that was the collar that Skyler had when she came from the rescue.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 9:59 pm

I use flat collars. Nothing special at all. Each end of the leash is connected to one of my pups and off we go. Smile

I've used chokers on our old Chows.... I've never felt they've helped me train any faster, but to each their own.

For pulling I do recommend Pronged collars. If put on right they are not cruel and are actually one of the safest collars on the market. Press one into your forearm as hard as you can one day and you'll see how gentle they can be.

I'm not a fan of harnesses at all unless for pulling, but others have said they work wonders for their dog.

My mindset is more "Control the head and neck, Control the dog" so I lean more towards collars all the time.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 10:02 pm

Tika wrote:

For pulling I do recommend Pronged collars. If put on right they are not cruel and are actually one of the safest collars on the market. Press one into your forearm as hard as you can one day and you'll see how gentle they can be.

Agreed. I can't walk mine without their prong collar! And, yep, they're not cruel. I pressed one onto my forearm as hard as possible and had hubby do it to me. Doesn't hurt.
Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 10:10 pm

I guess I will have to look into them, because I have never really seen them but probably because I have already used harnesses with other dogs, but they don't work well with my huskies. Have any of you use the Martingale collars? Like I said, we have one on Skyler because the rescue had it for her because she has a bad habit of backing out of regular collars but what about for walking? I guess they work similar to a choker but not as rough?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Only time I tried a martingale was with Asia and she did horrible on it. Would choke herself pretty bad Rolling Eyes I think others have had better luck with them.

Oh, and when I gave it to my mom to use on her golden she backed out of it.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 10:24 pm

Ripley came with one.... We found out the hard way she can slip a collar when she wants so I guess that was why. We double collar her now.

She pulled like a bat out of hell with it on for some reason too, but as soon as we got her a flat collar she stopped pulling.... I think it has more to do with me than the collar, I'm more comfortable with flat collars and the handlers comfort plays a big role in everything.

I think Sara B uses a Martingale if I remember correctly, but I could be wrong.

~Chris~

Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 12:09 am

I use a martingale and Anna is a million times better. For me she doesn't pull as bad and with me being a small person she can easily pull me with a harness. As soon as I put the martingale collar on she was fine. I like it better especially with us trying to make her calm down when meeting people. She doesn't want to jump on them as much.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 12:44 am

I use a triple crown collar backed up with a slip choker collar. A triple crown collar is a type of prong collar but it plastic not metal. I like it a lot. We used a prong collar backed up with a choker on our last husky. Liked that too.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 1:07 am

I use flat collars and slip leads for ease. The dogs don't pull when they have no reason to pull. If I can walk 6 with minimal difficulty anyone can walk 2. I have no super powers lol I just don't take crap from the dogs and of if they want to pull we go in the opposite direction or just done move.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 1:36 am

Great suggestions from everyone - I use timberwolfs two dog lead.

http://www.timberwolfpetproducts.com/leashes.htm#
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
SibeMomx2
Newborn
Newborn
SibeMomx2

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 1:23 pm

I use a Gentle Lead, the one that goes around his muzzle and his head. Rocky pulls bad when he wants to go somewhere and it has really helped and made it more enjoyable for me to walk both of my boys at the same time. I believe someone above said control the head... and this is exactly what it does. It makes me so much more comfortable because it lets him know I am in control, not him.

Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 2:57 pm

arooroomom wrote:
I use flat collars and slip leads for ease. The dogs don't pull when they have no reason to pull. If I can walk 6 with minimal difficulty anyone can walk 2. I have no super powers lol I just don't take crap from the dogs and of if they want to pull we go in the opposite direction or just done move.

Smile I use flat collars, with the exception of Panzer, who occassionally panics about the blowing wind, and works herself into a 20 second frenzy fighting the leash, before looking up at me with no lack of shame and realizing everythings fine. She can slip a flat collar (a technique she appears to have learned from those particular salmon who can shake a set hook) so she wears a flat slip collar.

I walk all 5 on seperate leashes at once, and we don't have pulling issues, really. On the rare occassion someone pulls, I stop, or quickly change my direction. I prefer to change my direction, as a constant reminder to the dogs that they should follow me, because they don't actually know where we are going. I like to take different routes to the same places, etc. That way my dogs tend to want to heel, so that they don't get seperated. When Soshanna and Mixie were young, and we were on foot trails, I would just drop their leash and walk away from them when they started to lead. They'd get a few yards out, realize they lost me and come running to find me. Obviously not something you can do for every dog, but you get the idea.
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 10:05 pm

I was finding it very difficult to walk our two by myself on seperate leads so we got a Y lead. It's certainly helped with the tangles and having them both go in seperate directions. It can be a bit hard on the hand though as they do pull, especially at the start of the walk. They are much better than they were to start with. My husband bought a gentle leader for Hunter (mal) and said it works well, I'm yet to take them both by myself with it on.
Back to top Go down
LoveMyBrat
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-01-29

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 4:45 pm

I was hoping for some advise for walking two dogs/working on training.

Thor is the designated puller, he just is not happy at my pace. He didn't used to be so bad, but since everyone does something different on walks he has just gotten dreadfully bad on walks. Kimmi will walk with a lose leash until she sees something she wants, and then she will pull to get to it. She is highly distracted by alot of things, e.g. litter, other dogs, and she barks her little butt off at everything and nothing. If you put the two of them together, it just gets worse. Recently, they have started playing (aggressively!) on the walks because they get frustrated with me trying to get them to walk nicely. I have tried having them both on individual leashes and with the y splitter. I have been trying to work with both of them individually, and have been doing separate walks, and it is a really slow process. This means that i take each of them out for an hour walk 2 times a day, so 4 hours of walking, as is. The issue i am running into, though, is they, especially Thor, needs ATLEAST a several mile long walk before we leave. While i can do a 3 or 4 mile walk while he pulls or on the rare occasions he is behaving, i have been trying to train them by doing the stop and walk backward a few steps every time he pulls, so the hour walk turns into 1-1.5 miles or so. That isn't enough exercise for him, and i don't want to let him pull some walks but not others. I have been trying to turn the morning exercise session into a biking session (where he can pull), or a dog park play session where both can run around, and skipping the morning walks (they can still go to the bathroom in the backyard). Is that okay? We live across the street from a large park, and while they have mountain biking, i don't feel comfortable doing this quite yet (my boyfriend does, and Thor is quite good on trails), and i stay on the main trail, which is mostly gravel, and i worry about them hurting their paws. For the dog park, a couple of times a week i have class at 9 am, and its an hour commute into work, so i can't really take them to the park at 6 am. My goal was to work on them seperately until they learn some decent leash manners, then start walking the two of them together in the house, and then working up, but i am still worried about them pulling when they are together. If one dog is behaving, but the other is pulling, how do you correct the one but not the other? Does anyone have any suggestions that can make this better, or does anyone think what i am doing is okay for the time being? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 5:24 pm

At one point, we had hired an animal behaviorist to work on Nara's barking. During the training, she highly recommended the Softouch Sensation harness to help deter and control pulling. I wanted to transition my dogs off of the prong collars, so I tried this new harness and it works wonders. The strap across the chest helps control the pulling without causing bodily damage, instead of him choking them out on the flat throat/neck collar. I mainly wanted them off the prongs. Here's the harness image from the company's website:

Walking Two Dogs Phoca_11

I combine that harness on each dog with a 12" or 24"" traffic lead/handle, so the dogs remain at my side and I have complete control over them at all times, especially when other dogs (on or off leash) are walking near us. Since Paw Paw is my stronger puller, he walks on my right side, because my right arm is stronger. Nara walks on my left side. I have yet to try to talk all 3 dogs at the same time, but the result would be the same. With the traffic lead/harness combination, there is little to no pulling, and I have absolute control to guide them in any direction with ease. Sudden changes in direction are no problem either.

Here's the 12" and 24" traffic lead I speak of:

Walking Two Dogs 122102

Walking Two Dogs 126021

Good luck. I hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Walking Two Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Two Dogs   Walking Two Dogs Empty

Back to top Go down

Walking Two Dogs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1