It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Kaya now walks on treadmill :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kaya2012
Newborn
Newborn
kaya2012

Kaya now walks on treadmill :) Empty
PostSubject: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi,

I posted a little while back about treadmill walking.

Just to prove that even a husky can do it with enough perseverance, Kaya is now walking on the treadmill!
I spent 3 weeks desensitizing her to the machine and today she went for a 90 minute lesson with a trainer who has a treadmill on her premises. When I went to pick her up, she was walking like a pro!
Trainer has shown us how to continue at home, but I must say it was amazing to see her walking comfortably on the belt as if she'd been doing it her whole life.

Go Kaya!

Happy Halloween to all.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 7:53 pm

video to show? im lucky if i can call S&J into the treadmill room with me on it for a pat on the head! great job Kaya!

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Great job ......... but yeah I'd love to see a video.
Back to top Go down
kaya2012
Newborn
Newborn
kaya2012

PostSubject: Re: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi,

I took a short movie of Kaya on the treadmill this morning. She is on the slowest speed.

https://youtu.be/lkJ5r3LfRPM

Last edited by kaya2012 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 3:36 pm

Nice! its like she keeps looking at the white label on the belt thinking its treats?....

Newborn
Newborn
kaya2012

PostSubject: Re: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 2:53 pm

Lol, yes the labels keep catching her eye as they go past, but she is starting to ignore them.

She's now going on 2-3 outside walks a day as well as 2 treadmill sessions of approx 5 minutes each.
When she's on the belt, I put small bits of sausage on the silver panel in front of her to help keep her focussed Smile I started putting them there every few seconds at first, and have now increased the treat time to 30 seconds. Tomorrow I'll treat only every minute or so.

I want her to grow to love to the treadmill, so my aim is to keep the sessions short, slow and sweet for the first couple of weeks, aiming towards 2 x 15 minute daily sessions by month end. I know she's still growing and developing, so I don't want to push her while she's still so young.

My husband is a runner and we're hoping by the next summer when she is a year old, that she'll be able to join him.
Back to top Go down
Michelle.Ang
Newborn
Newborn
Michelle.Ang

Female Join date : 2012-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Just a reminder. Make sure that she pooped before you put her on treadmill.

Once, I put Coco on treadmill before her morning poo. And she end up passing them on the treadmill!!! Imagine the mess.
Back to top Go down
kaya2012
Newborn
Newborn
kaya2012

PostSubject: Re: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 11:45 am

Hi Michelle, that must have been terrible!
I hope the treadmill was on wood or tile, not carpet.

But you're right, it's a good point to bear in mind, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Michelle.Ang
Newborn
Newborn
Michelle.Ang

Female Join date : 2012-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 3:15 am

kaya2012 wrote:
Hi Michelle, that must have been terrible!
I hope the treadmill was on wood or tile, not carpet.

But you're right, it's a good point to bear in mind, thanks.

The treadmill is on tile floor. The difficult and messy part was cleaning the treadmill. We had to dissemble the treadmill, in order to clear the mess properly.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 2:46 pm

How is the belt on the treadmill holding up to your dog's claws over time? When we move I plan to get Kenzi on one but wasn't sure if I needed to invest in a replacement belt before they are obsolete for my treadmill model.

Puppy
Puppy
Rigbyjek

PostSubject: Re: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 5:41 pm

Rig LOVES the treadmill! He will literally get on it himself and then stand there and stare at me.. even bark at me if he has to.. all to get my attention to turn it on. He's such a goofball! Our treadmill belt has been fine and he's been using it for almost two years- but we don't use it everyday either Smile
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 2:02 pm

What type of treadmill do you use? I usually walk Loki for about a hour a day and he plays in the yard with my other dog for an hour. With it being -20+ below outside, I can't take more then 10 minutes or so of walking him and my other dog refuses to play outside with him. Needless to say, he is being a butthead for the past few days. Would like to find a nice treadmill for him for when it is too cold outside and train him to use it. I know he is just bored and unexercised.
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 11:08 pm

How did you start him out? I would love to train my boy so we have an option if the weather gets nasty or I get sick or something.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 11:39 pm

Very cool! I'm adding treadmill to my wishlist. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kaya now walks on treadmill :)   Kaya now walks on treadmill :) Empty

Back to top Go down

Kaya now walks on treadmill :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1