It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Shaved area after spay?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

Shaved area after spay? Empty
PostSubject: Shaved area after spay?   Shaved area after spay? EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Had my pup spayed the other day at 7months old and was wondering how long does it normally take for hair to regrow, a couple months? Should it be noticeable from the side when they stand up that her underbelly was shaved? I feel they may have shaved too much because it is noticeable from her side when she is standing since she has longer fur. Is that normal?
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Shaved area after spay?   Shaved area after spay? EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 5:02 pm

Lola got spay at 6 months. She's 10 months now and it is almost completely filled in. We adopted her at 7 months and I didn't notice it from the side, just during belly rubs!
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Shaved area after spay?   Shaved area after spay? EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Onyx was neutered in August and his is starting to come back. I too never noticed from the side, I really never payed any mind to it at all, just figured it would take its time to grow back.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Shaved area after spay?   Shaved area after spay? EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 5:12 pm

Callie was spayed about a month ago and it was completely noticeable from the side. Though, she does have a short coat so that could affect it.

Right now her fur is growing in at a nice rate. It's to the point where if she's laying down and I look over, I forget she'd been shaved and panic because the fur looks so thin. I can post a picture here later of what she looks like now a month after spay. I don't have a picture from right after spay but you know, smooth skin and incision site, the norm.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Shaved area after spay?   Shaved area after spay? EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 5:24 pm

We could see it on Tika from the side. Its part of the whole fluffy thing.
It will grow back relatively quickly.

Kelly

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Shaved area after spay?   Shaved area after spay? EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 5:25 pm

You can never shave too much. The reason that we shave so much is that if there are any complications, there is a wide margin of sterility to work with. Her fur should grow back within a month.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Shaved area after spay?   Shaved area after spay? EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 9:48 pm

When my Lab Ruby was spayed you could see the shaved area from the side. I like Brooke's explanation and it makes perfect sense. It grew back very quickly. I could not see Balon's neuter from the side, but I don't think they have to shave much for that.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Shaved area after spay?   Shaved area after spay? EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 10:50 pm

I think some vet techs go a little crazy with the shaving. Thankfully the vet who spayed Siku didn't go crazy shaving her and you couldn't see the shaved area when she was standing up.

Shaved area after spay? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Shaved area after spay?   Shaved area after spay? EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 10:52 pm

Zoey was spayed at 5 months and they shaved half of her underside, the fur never grew back the same way and grew back the opposite direction
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shaved area after spay?   Shaved area after spay? Empty

Back to top Go down

Shaved area after spay?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1