It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Average price for spaying

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

Average price for spaying Empty
PostSubject: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:18 pm

I have been reading some post on here that have incredibly low prices for different surgeries. Our vet wants to charge $400 for a spay. Is that average or outrageous?
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Outrageous! If you want to drive 2 hours south, you can get it done at my vets for $145
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Well, in Michigan, for Delilah's (she had EVERYTHING) it was about 360 I believe. That include pain meds, antibiotics, iv in for spay etc. It was worth it though. I won't go low cost clinic for Spay, it's too invasive.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 pm

Cally's came to $407 and that was with microchipping, her flea/heartworm prevention and eye cream included
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:24 pm

Robinhuskylover2231 wrote:
Cally's came to $407 and that was with microchipping, her flea/heartworm prevention and eye cream included

Crap, thats 414 in the U.S.
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:25 pm

lol guess Canada has its perks Razz
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:25 pm

$150 , I went to another vet. My vet when I was in california wanted $500!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Depending on the size of the dog, where I work we charge $135 (Chihuahua size)-$250(adult Mastiff size- non senior). That does NOT include an IV catheterization, bloodwork or microchipping.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Mine included all of the above Brooke - and honestly, I think it was worth it.
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:38 pm

mheath0429 wrote:

Completely agree with this! Believe it or not, this is a "cheap" vet
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:39 pm

$145 was for everything and a nights stay at the vets. My vet prefers to have them monitored at the office the first night. This was my regular vet, not a low cost clinic.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:41 pm

26nikita wrote:
$145 was for everything and a nights stay at the vets. My vet prefers to have them monitored at the office the first night. This was my regular vet, not a low cost clinic.

Yep, mine was $150 or $160 for Mya. She didn't stay overnight though.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:43 pm

I don't hate on those who do have dogs that stay overnight, but I would never do it. I feel that its better for me to be with my dog because I can provide 24 hour supervised care. Now, if it were Brooke, that would be different!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:44 pm

mheath0429 wrote:

Yea most clients do bloodwork (basic panel with CBC for extra $62) and Microchip $35 (puppy plan is discounted %10) and extra pain meds (either a shot after surgery $50, or TGH pills $35, or both lol). Most don't do IV catheter, although for senior spays it is mandatory. If a client refuses they have to go elsewhere lol We try to stay pretty competitive with the shelters since we do it more safely; they are fully monitored by a tech during the entire duration; also hooked up to an ECG, blood pressure, respiratory rate, expiratory CO2, and oxygen saturation of the tissues. Shelters and low cost clinics skimp and most don't have anyone monitoring them. I've volunteered in clinics before, they had patients recovering on the cold floors... most people don't know that... I was mortified. Evil or Very Mad After I moniter patients under anesthsia, I ALWAYS stay with them until they are awake and sternal. Anything can go wrong in that time.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Oh yeah. I get nervous with low cost clinics. Cato was lucky, a local rescue sponsors a neuter coupon lol - so they will pay half the neuter for the first 100 or so. Cato was only 80 for me. Including the works.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:51 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Oh yeah. I get nervous with low cost clinics. Cato was lucky, a local rescue sponsors a neuter coupon lol - so they will pay half the neuter for the first 100 or so. Cato was only 80 for me. Including the works.

That's so generous! we need more programs like that in force!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:00 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I don't hate on those who do have dogs that stay overnight, but I would never do it. I feel that its better for me to be with my dog because I can provide 24 hour supervised care. Now, if it were Brooke, that would be different!

If I knew more about medical care then I would agree with you but for the average joe, like myself, I think it's great that the vet keeps them the first night to make sure there is no complications.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:29 pm

I would rather her stay the first night at the vets as well. This is my first dog and I wouldn't even really know what to look for. Vet said $400 included everything, iv, pain meds, etc but not an overnight stay.

Honestly, its past time for her to get spayed but I am sooo worried something might go wrong. My friends boxer pup died from complications with anesthesia during his neuter. Call me a wuss if you will but I am scared for her. I also wasn't anticipating 400 I was thinking more like 200, and thought my vet was kinda high.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:33 pm

Whatever you do, make them run the blood panel. If you don't, you are knowingly risking an issue with Anesthesia if you don't. A Blood panel will tell you if your dog us ready and capable to take on the surgery. I would also go with the Catheterization.

It's not about being a veterinary expert, I keep my dog here because I am with her. most vet clinics wont have someone there 24 hours - they will just check on them at night. It's safer for me to rush her to an E-Vet from complications than to hope that my dog only has a complication when the vet tech is there.

It helps that I have taken a veterinary assisting course, but I still wouldn't leave her anyway. That's just me.
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

Female Join date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:37 pm

Our vet does low cost spay and neuter, and seriously, my animals that have been altered there have recovered so much more quickly than those I had done elsewhere. We will be taking Storm here for her spay after she recovers from hip surgery. By that time, she should have some more weight on her and will be over 50 lbs, so her spay will cost $52, which includes a free rabies shot. Her pain shot will only cost $10 more. They didn't keep my cat overnight, so I don't think they'll keep her overnight either.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:43 pm

But its with your vet, I think that makes a difference.
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

Female Join date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:46 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
But its with your vet, I think that makes a difference.

Yeah, I feel much more comfortable having it done with a regular vet as opposed to a traveling low cost spay/neuter clinic. I'm just thankful that my vet is so reasonable.
Back to top Go down
liz-skees
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:47 pm

Last edited by liz-skees on Mon May 20, 2013 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:12 am

I think my vet wanted $400-$500 I think and it was the same at another vet. I took Siku to a vet where a sibe lady I know works and they did it for $105 and she was just fine. I think at our local SPCA it's like $65 or something like that and my mom hasn't had any rescue dogs have any issues with their spay or neuters there.

Oh and I like when they can go home the same day, which Siku got to do.

Average price for spaying Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:15 am

I paid $500 for my lab to be spayed, including the iv, antibiotic during the surgery, pain med during and after and overnight stay. I thought it was very high! They charged me $380 for Balon's neuter, everything was the same as the lab except they did not keep him overnight.

I really thought my vets were high when it comes to spay/neuter until I called around just to see, and found out everyone near me was within $50 of what I paid.

But they both made it through surgery (the lab reacted a bit to a couple of her stitches) Balon had no complications.

Oh and I should have noted that the 500 for the lab included a microchip, (Balon was chipped by his breeder) and yes I did have them do blood panels on both.

Last edited by Balonsmom on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying Empty

Back to top Go down

Average price for spaying

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next