It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Things people say....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

Things people say.... Empty
PostSubject: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 10:08 pm

So I was in Petco today, looking at puppy training. We had her going to Petsmart but we don't really care for the trainer. So the Petco trainer came over and started talking about the program. My boyfriend walks over to us with Luna and the trainer ohhs and awws over her. Then she asks me if she is an Alaskan Malamute. I say no she is a Siberian Husky. She's says well sometimes breeders don't tell you that they are mixed with Malamute, but she is most definitely mixed. I tell her I saw her parents and guarantee she is a full Siberian Husky. So this is her reply: she can't be full Husky because she doesn't have blue eyes. I was like seriously, you're a trainer?! We will be looking into other places needless to say.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 10:11 pm

Things people say.... 1625187496
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 10:19 pm

I had a petsmart trainer telling me all about classes they offer. At this time- Mika, my youngest came to her and sat all nice and pretty. She continued to go on about the classes and how my huskies NEED the classes. Still Mika is patiently waiting for her to pet her. The trainer looks down and goes to pet mika. Her credibility was already gone...at least she noticed what mika wanted.

My girls don't need training, they are overall very good mannered
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 10:24 pm

I think Petco/Petsmart takes any old person off the street, puts them in a training program for a few months and calls them professional. I'm not saying ever single one of their trainers are bad, but the ones in my area are certainly not worth bragging about!! Luna is really not bad, she's just excited like puppies usually are and they were telling me how ill mannered she was. I think at 4 months, what she knows is pretty impressive.
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Funny you say that, a petco trainer came to us and ask me if she was a malamute, I said no. That was it. lol I'm still not sure about the Petco trainer here in RI.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 1:58 am

kevo wrote:
I had a petsmart trainer telling me all about classes they offer. At this time- Mika, my youngest came to her and sat all nice and pretty. She continued to go on about the classes and how my huskies NEED the classes. Still Mika is patiently waiting for her to pet her. The trainer looks down and goes to pet mika. Her credibility was already gone...at least she noticed what mika wanted.

My girls don't need training, they are overall very good mannered

Huskies are generally crazy and full if energy. I don't knew that it's something we can train out. Lol...mine are pretty darn well mannered as long as they get exercise, and if not I know a lot from this forum to correct it. Sometimes I think people are full of crap when it comes to training, we have some horrible ones around here.

Your girls are very well behaved. For heavens sake, Cali and Delilah even did well together. I wouldn't worry about it.li bet that trainer feeds science diet too,
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 9:43 am

Yea it can be tough to find a good trainer who does not have the IQ of a rock. lol. I've had a few run ins where I was told Thane isn't a true husky because of his bi-eyes, huskies are crazy, huskies cannot be trained, etc, etc. I used to get mad now I've made it my mission to show them why HUSKIES are the best! :p
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 11:13 am

I was at Petsmart one day and one of the trainers (I believe it was a trainer and not a regular employee) told me that blue eyed Siberian Huskies are absolutely always more calm and "less crazy" then huskies with other colour eyes. I'm like uhm, you never met my other husky. She was nuts! lol
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 11:20 am

We've had similar people tell us that Tika cannot be a husky becuase she isnt black/grey/white.
I've also been offered tons of unsolicited advice of how to react/train/talk to my dogs. I politely inform them that these are my dogs, and I know what works and doesnt work for them, and that we are very well informed on training.
If we have training issues we call someone we trust. Maybe you can find an independant dog trainer that would be more knowledgable in the breed? These petstore classes have been showing more bad reviews than good here lately.

Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 11:47 am

I did find a good trainer at the Petsmart here but I am sure I was very lucky.

My two just completed the intermediate training thru petSmart here and the graduated( think the trainer may have given a little leeway because they are Huskies).

I do think it is Hit or miss on finding a good dog trainer..

Good luck in finding one.
Back to top Go down
mellard
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 12:02 pm

The trainer at the petsmart near where I live seems to be worth the while. She personally owns a husky and has trained it and use her experience as the basis of her classes. When I first met her we spent a good 2hours talking in the store and she gave me quite a bit of advice as to how to intrusive the puppy to accept treats and other uncommon knowledge about the breed. So it looks like Oakley is going to be going to puppy classes next week.
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 12:15 pm

D'oh! Some people.... so what if they're bi-eyed like mine?

I do have to say our Petsmart trainer was awesome! We had a really great experience with that. Danzig was always the class clown. He would sit there and howl while the trainer was trying to talk. It was embarassing at first but after awhile everyone just ignored him.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Every idiot can call himself a dog trainer and this is the best example for it Very Happy.

Once someone told me Anubis hs to be half wolf, because every dog that has blue eyes is mixed with wolves. She pretended on that for a few minutes, I only told her that if you have absolutely no knowledge about something just shut th ehell up.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Some people ... Lol
Things people say.... 1625187496
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 10:24 pm

We are going to look at other trainers, but now my boyfriend is turned off from the idea of more training because of the idiots we've been meeting Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things people say....   Things people say.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Things people say....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1