It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Brand new husky puppy,any tips?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
keeferz
Newborn
Newborn

Brand new husky puppy,any tips? Empty
PostSubject: Brand new husky puppy,any tips?   Brand new husky puppy,any tips? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 3:27 am

Hello,
I am getting a 10 week old Siberian Husky and i was wondering if you guys had any tips for me. I already know that it is going to be difficult but I am up for the challenge. I found this forum a couple days ago and it was one of the best places i could find for training and what not. So if you guys have pointers or hints they would be helpful. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Brand new husky puppy,any tips?   Brand new husky puppy,any tips? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 10:03 am

The best I can say is be prepared, which sounds like you are. Have extra cash put away just in case as the first few months anything can happen and be consistent in your training! Congrats on the soon to be puppy Smile Hope to see pictures!
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Brand new husky puppy,any tips?   Brand new husky puppy,any tips? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 1:26 pm

Hello and Welcome to the forums.

You did right by researching the breed first and coming here is a great way to do it. I was lurking these forums a full year before I got my Sibe.

The training section here, which I'm sure you've already been looking at, should answer 90% of your questions. There isn't much missing from there if you use the search function or just look real well.

Some highlights are stickied at the top however, and linked below.

IAHT Crate Training
IAHT Puppy Biting / Mouthing
IAHT The Secret
IAHT House Breaking

Quote :
So if you guys have pointers or hints they would be helpful

Your mileage may very, but all you need from day one is to be patient and firm. Be fair about your punishments and understand that there will be days you will be standing out in a field screaming at the sky for getting a puppy. Take a deep breath, relax, and come back. Things won't changeover night, but if you keep at it they will change and you will be rewarded 100 times over. Patience Patience Patience.

Define your rules before you ever bring the pup home. Do you want it on your bed? To drink out of the toilet? ect. Make them and start enforcing them right away, in a patient and gentle way (Positive reinforcement works wonders with this breed and puppies in general).

A puppy is expected to adhere to all his/her mother's rules from day one. So though it may be cute when that 3 month old is chewing on that big boot.... It just leads to trouble down the line.

Start Crate training and working on mouthing the very second you get home.

Potty training will come and go as they age, there will probably be a regression at some point, but keep at it and it shouldn't be an issue after a couple of months. Try not to use pee pads or other items that promote it is OK to eliminate inside the house.

Teaching a pup a new trick or command, or simply practising old commands they have down, for 20 or 30 minutes is just as exhausting to them as a long walk. This is the perfect time to be doing this type of stimulation as they learn commands and get tired where as a walk would simply tire them out. There is much to be said about not stressing their growing joints walking also.

Play time should be fun for both of you, and a huge reward for your pup. It however should never trump your rules. Any breaking of my rules stops play dead (a bite that was a bit too hard while wrestling).

Leash training is very alien to a new pup and can be hard at first. Bring lots of treats, and try to hold onto your sanity as they grow older. instilling leash manners early however goes a long way into stopping pulling later on in life.

I'll stop now... I have to stop scaring the new members away with my walls of text.
Also these are just MY OPINIONS on the matter.... I think that goes without saying but it is what has worked for Kelly and I.
Best of luck and keep us updated Smile

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Brand new husky puppy,any tips?   Brand new husky puppy,any tips? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 1:40 pm

You said it way better than I did Chris lol, I try the short and sweet but sometimes the good ol' page of text works better
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Brand new husky puppy,any tips?   Brand new husky puppy,any tips? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Quote :
Have extra cash put away just in case as the first few months anything can happen and be consistent in your training!

Nah! You had it dead to rights with this one line ^^

~Chris~

Newborn
Newborn
BeBopBandit

Male Join date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Brand new husky puppy,any tips?   Brand new husky puppy,any tips? EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Expect that for a long while, things are probably going to be really frustrating. Our pup bites A LOT and every single thing on the floor is fair-game to him: shoes, socks, paper, trash, his own fur (lol!), the cat, etc. Even though it is difficult, I really try to be as calm as I can be whenever he's acting up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brand new husky puppy,any tips?   Brand new husky puppy,any tips? Empty

Back to top Go down

Brand new husky puppy,any tips?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1