It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... Empty
PostSubject: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:38 am

Okay so we switched back to TOTW about 3 months ago..

My dogs are annoyingly picky. We go through the largest bag of TOTW about every 2.5-3 weeks but we're having issues. Embry gets very sick of this food if we aren't rotating it so I rotate every time I buy a new bag but lately all three of them will have diarrhea for about 3 days right after the rotation. We never used to have this issue, I'm thinking that it's maybe because they're switching more often then usual? But if I don't switch it, Embry won't eat and he needs to. Last month he was down to 45lbs, he's finally back up to almost 55lbs again.

Does anyone else have issues with this? Opinions on what to do?

Thanks guys Very Happy
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 9:45 am

I would try either buying the new bag just before you run out so you can mix or adding in some pumpkin to prevent the runs. That's odd that it would cause upset when it hasn't in the past.. That's all the insight I have though Sad

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 10:03 am

Yeah I tend to agree with Kristina here.

If you're rotating the protein faster then normal, I would make the transition easier on them by mixing the proteins sooner.

Maybe buy your new bag at the half way or one quarter mark of the old bag and start mixing the two together until you finish the bag. Then rinse and repeat.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Thanks guys I'll try mixing the flavors Smile
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:26 pm

I second the pumpkin! Chili has the most sensitive stomach EVAR, good thing he loves the pumpkin! Smile
Back to top Go down
TooManyHuskies
...is a fool

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 9:42 am

The process of changing and rotating foods has created this "picky" problem and you have nothing to show for it except an underweight dog. There is no reason to rotate or "mix" proteins that is all nonsense.

Try Dr. Tim's or RedPaw, which are designed to be extra palatable to tired working dogs. Stay with one food to avoid creating expectations of something new.

Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 1:06 pm

We rotate almost every bag with Appa and see no problems in his poops. As much as I get sick of TooManyHuskies pushing Dr. Tim's on here I tend to agree.

If Appa is being picky with food we won't rotate. It's only as long as he's eating normally do we rotate. Once the pickiness kicks in all treats stop and we stick with a food flavor until he realizes no amount of holding out will get him what he wants.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 2:02 pm

While I agree, catering to a picky dog isn't good... I would choose to rotate flavors over the dog dropping 10lbs. Trying to prove my point isn't worth that. Just my thought,

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 2:28 pm

TooManyHuskies wrote:
The process of changing and rotating foods has created this "picky" problem and you have nothing to show for it except an underweight dog. There is no reason to rotate or "mix" proteins that is all nonsense.

Whoa caught me a sleep here with a reasonable and logical post. I agree against the rotation of kibble to please the dog thus having a picky eater. I do rotate on occasion to make sure there isn't a lacking nutrient they might miss from eating the same product all the time.

Sort of like me and eating pizza all the time, I'll have plenty of lycopene in me but surely would be hurting for other nutrients.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 4:41 pm

TooManyHuskies wrote:

Try Dr. Tim's or RedPaw, which are designed to be extra palatable to tired working dogs. Stay with one food to avoid creating expectations of something new.

I'M SO PROUD OF YOU FOR NOT TRYING YOUR DAMNDEST TO STIR THE POT ;' ) Today is a very special day for my favorite antagonizing troll.
Never thought I'd see the day he posted and people use the word "agree!"

I agree as well, but if Embry actually will starve himself to where heneilmlose 10lbs..l. Well...
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Well first off, Embry has had food issues since day one. He didn't loose weight due to being a picky eater, I switched him to THK and I don't know what happened, him and Zoey were both down a lot of weight. I then gradually switched to Fromm dog food, where all three dogs had horrible dirrhea and so then we switched back to TOTW. Almost every person I talk to that feeds TOTW rotates the 4 different flavors, and no one has ever said anything bad about it but whatever..
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 5:17 pm

From my experience with THK (aside from Zeal), Koda pooped so much and so often that it seemed like he never had adequate time to absorb any nutrition. I tried him on it back 3 years ago when he was scary skinny and it made him even thinner.

I don't think anyone is saying it's bad, rotating flavors is fine and a lot of people do it- people are just saying its not good to switch flavors to cater to him refusing his food (so letting him manipulate when you switch and what you feed). I also think only 2ish weeks on one flavor is just a little too soon. Most people I know switch every bag or two for one dog, so I wouldn't be switching the flavor for 2 or 3 bags with it being split between three dogs.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 5:25 pm

We switched every bag when we were doing Acana. Was a 8-10 day rotation per bag. And we switched every time.

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Heather! wrote:
Today is a very special day for my favorite antagonizing troll.

Darn it Heather, with TooManyHitsToTheHead here, I guess that makes you every ones 2nd favorite antagonizer.

For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... 1625187496

Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Heather! wrote:
Today is a very special day for my favorite antagonizing troll.

Darn it Heather, with TooManyHitsToTheHead here, I guess that makes you every ones 2nd favorite antagonizer.

For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... 1625187496

I don't get to antagonize no mo ;( unfortunately I am not a complete troll and I'd like to refrain from being banned. Sigh.
And Kristina, a new $60 bag every ten days makes my wallet shiver.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 12:38 am

TooManyHuskies wrote:

Stay with one food to avoid creating expectations of something new.
For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... Fainting-smiley

For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 1:11 am

Has Tori collapsed from shock?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 1:23 am

Down right fainted, Tori did....

PostSubject: Re: For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...   For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors... Empty

Back to top Go down

For those of you who feed TOTW and rotate flavors...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1