It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy is hungry all the time??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

Puppy is hungry all the time?? Empty
PostSubject: Puppy is hungry all the time??   Puppy is hungry all the time?? EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 3:57 am

Why does Lycan seem hungry all the time? Should I feed him more? The standard weigh for a fully grown Malamute is 85lbs to 95lbs. However, Lycan's sire is around 115lbs to 120lbs. How should I determine the percentage to feed him. Lycan is 15 weeks old now and is about 35lbs. We will go for his third vaccination tomorrow. So I will be able to get his exact weight.
Titus is 68lbs and I feed him about 1.6lbs a day. Lycan gets about 2lbs a day.
Is this enough for them?
Back to top Go down
Dark-Krystal
Newborn
Newborn
Dark-Krystal

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is hungry all the time??   Puppy is hungry all the time?? EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 5:06 am

I know with my puppy (6 months) she always seems to be hungry,to the point of acting like she hasn't been fed for days ..

But i break her meals up too 3 times per day + treats and she still wants more,i give a handful of dry food in the morning ,a handful at lunch then she has her main food late afternoon which is dry with chicken or beef ,i would go by how active your pup is and give little bits at a time,guess they are like humans some like to eat a lot and some like to eat a little :-) I feed foxy maybe a total of 2 cups of dry food and maybe 1 cup of chicken or beef + her various treats
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is hungry all the time??   Puppy is hungry all the time?? EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 5:55 am

Congrats you have what is known as a chow hound. Biko is the same way has been since I got him and now is 3 yrs old.

Just feed no more then what it says on the bag and watch their figures (hourglass). Pups do need more as they are growing up not just out. Once an adult cut back on even what the bag recommends unless they are working off the calories.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is hungry all the time??   Puppy is hungry all the time?? EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:27 am

He gets three meals a day. And they are on a raw diet..
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is hungry all the time??   Puppy is hungry all the time?? EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 1:01 pm

I think feeding Lycan between 2-3 lbs of food a day should be enough. Perhaps closer to the 3 lb mark if you think he might reach a weight similar to that of his dad. You could do 3 one lb meals a day and see how that goes. Puppies can sometimes require up to 8-10% of their current weight on a raw diet if you prefer to go off of that instead of trying to guestimate his adult weight.

8% of his latest posted weight of 35 lbs is 2.8 lbs.

Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is hungry all the time??   Puppy is hungry all the time?? EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 4:17 am

We went to the vet for his last vaccination today. He's officially 39lbs at 15 weeks of age. Guess I will do 3 one pound meals a day and see how he goes.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is hungry all the time??   Puppy is hungry all the time?? EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 8:20 am

Today I learned:

Huskyluv wrote:
Puppies can sometimes require up to 8-10% of their current weight on a raw diet if you prefer to go off of that instead of trying to guestimate his adult weight.

Though I'm not into the raw feeding deal I've often wondered how much to feed them per day. What about adult dogs are they fed on the same percentage of weight?
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is hungry all the time??   Puppy is hungry all the time?? EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 9:09 am

Adult dogs are fed 2-3% of their weight, depending on needs. Puppies are fed 10% current weight until they reaches 30% of expected adult weight, then they are fed 2-3% of expected adult weight. That is what I got after reading from various sites before feeding raw.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is hungry all the time??   Puppy is hungry all the time?? EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 11:23 am

I feed Cato, my 7 month old pup, according to 2 - 3% Adult weight rule. I figure he will weigh around 55lbs, so he gets 22oz of meat a day - he seems to stay pretty full. I use a variety of meat, but I have noticed he stays significantly satisfied on beef in comparison to the lean proteins. This is just my observation.

Do you feed any veggies or berries? I know that it is not required, but mine love both and I don't mind preparing them. I steam veggies and puree them and pour the puree on top of meat. They lick it clean and their tummies stay full a little bit longer, I know this because the 4 days a week they get veggies, they don't wake me up for an extra 2 - 3 hours in the morning. Berries are just supplemented because they are rich in antioxidants and vitamins, not to mention the dogs love them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is hungry all the time??   Puppy is hungry all the time?? EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 11:49 pm

I don't know Lycan expected weight because his sire seem to be a lot heavier than the standard malamute weight but his dam is of normal weight. So now I'm trying to feed 3 1lb meal a day and see how it goes with him.
Titus seem to be just fine with his meal portion which is about 27oz.
They don't like any kind of veggies or apple. I boiled some veggies and puree them last week, put it on their meat. They gave it a lick and walk away. But they kinda enjoy using carrot as a chew toy. I will try berries next time. Also sometimes I'll give them a cheese toast with or without sausages, depending on whether I have it in the fridge for a snack.
If Lycan is still looking at me as if saying "Why are you starving me", I'll ruling it down to because he is a Malamute and maybe he just want something to chew because he might be teething now? He is 15 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is hungry all the time??   Puppy is hungry all the time?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy is hungry all the time??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1