It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

GPS Collars?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BayAreaHuskies
Newborn
Newborn

GPS Collars? Empty
PostSubject: GPS Collars?   GPS Collars? EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Does anyone have any experience with GPS collars? Our pup will stay close and come when called 90% of the time, but like any husky she can become distracted by prey.

Before everyone freaks out, I would never let her off-leash unless we're hiking, far away from streets and cars. And in the environment where we hike her, even most husky owners let their dogs run free without a care. But I'm still worried about that one scenario of her chasing a deer or something so far that she becomes lost.

I also know that a GPS collar is not 100% reliable, but it would give me some peace of mind at least.

So now that all the disclaimers are out of the way, does anyone have any experience with these and have a recommendation?

It looks like they either come in wimpy, cheap-looking versions, or heavy-duty hunting devices like the Garmin Astro. I'm willing to spend the money on the Astro, and willing to withstand the laughter and ridicule of others on the trail who wonder why my dog has a harness and an antennae just to go for a stupid walk, but I don't want to embark (get it?) down this path unless the products work.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

GPS Collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Collars?   GPS Collars? EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 7:12 pm

My first questions would be: What kind of terrain? Does it use GPS and GLONASS? How much does it weigh?

Personally I've never used one. I've been lucky to find mine every time they take off. I've found heavy packs to be a good anchor of sorts. Not at first mind you, but after they get going the weight will stop them within a few hundred yards. Maybe if you had a heavy pack AND a gps collar...
Back to top Go down
BayAreaHuskies
Newborn
Newborn

GPS Collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Collars?   GPS Collars? EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 9:14 pm

It would be mostly dry canyons & ridges year round as well as the mountains in Lake Tahoe, CA in Summer and Winter.

The pack idea is interesting, but unfortunately the temps we have here are just below being too hot for a hiking husky. Out climate is generally mid 60's to low 80's with lots of direct sunlight and no shade usually. Our girl does great if it's cold, or on level ground, but even at 70 degrees hiking uphill, she slows way down and starts panting like crazy and I wouldn't want to tax her any more. Normally, that would solve the problem, but even in that state she would take off after a squirrel or deer in a heartbeat, and not return until she caught it or lost it.

Honestly, this isn't an everyday problem right now, but we're also planning on taking up wilderness camping soon (using baby steps of course), and I just couldn't live with myself if we lost her in the middle of nowhere.

Btw, from what I can tell, they rely on GPS if available, and a set of radio bands when there is overhead obstruction. But I don't know how well they work of course.

Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

GPS Collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Collars?   GPS Collars? EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 12:47 am

This is the collar I'm saving my pennies for:

https://www.sportdog.com/gear/tek-series/

Great system.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

GPS Collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Collars?   GPS Collars? EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 12:32 pm

I'm surprise a company hasn't come up with a GPS tracker integrated into a microchip at an affordable price. I think they have something similar for wildlife. That would be the optimal solution. Expensive GPS collars may just end up stuck on the nearest scrub oak or smashed to pieces by rolly polly dog.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

GPS Collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Collars?   GPS Collars? EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 1:07 pm

GPS requires a power source, whereas a microchip does not.

The wild-life ones they implant only last a certain amount of time before the battery dies and you would have to remove and re-insert.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

GPS Collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Collars?   GPS Collars? EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 2:09 pm

rileyflorence wrote:
GPS requires a power source, whereas a microchip does not.

The wild-life ones they implant only last a certain amount of time before the battery dies and you would have to remove and re-insert.

True, but with NFC charging it shouldn't be an issue.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Sponsored content

GPS Collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Collars?   GPS Collars? Empty

Back to top Go down

GPS Collars?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1