It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michelle.Ang
Newborn
Newborn
Michelle.Ang

Female Join date : 2012-07-25

My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. Empty
PostSubject: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 6:36 am

She (Coco) is 22kg (48 lb). Coco only takes about 500 calories per day, which is about 150g (2/3 cup) of dried kibbles. I tried to give her more, but she won't finish them. I have tired many brands (Timberwolf, wellness core, taste of the wild, nature's variety instinct and etc). The vet said Coco is healthy (though no blood test was done). And Coco is not skinny. I wonder why she eats so little. Is this normal?
Back to top Go down
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 7:53 am

Halli used to be the same, and she still does at times, she will only eat as much as she feels like eating and leave the rest, sometimes she picks at it during the day other times she will just leave what is left.
I was told by a vet that it was normal, and she did it because it was just her way of not over eating, i am not sure if it is a breed thing, all our huskies do it but i am not 100% sure, hopefully someone can clarify that for me.

Sorry it is probably not much help, but that's my experience with it.
Back to top Go down
Michelle.Ang
Newborn
Newborn
Michelle.Ang

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:08 am

She is my first dog in fact, so I don't have much knowledge. My husband had 4 dogs previously, but none is Siberian husky and all his dogs just ate their food. So he thought it's weird too. Anyway, thanks for the reply. At least I know that other huskies are like that too.

Ps: Coco was from Australia, Brisbane. ;-) Born there and stayed there for 3 yrs. But now back in hot humid country, Singapore.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 9:11 am

While researching the breed I remember reading a lot about the fact that huskies are very good at controlling their own food intake. (I know some people on here have had husky's overeat and gain too much, but I don't think its the norm). Oh and a lot of them don't eat as much when its hot.

Last edited by Balonsmom on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : content)
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 9:18 am

My husky has never been a big eater (he's 13 and weighs about 53-55 pounds). From what I understand, huskies and sled dogs in general require a lot less food than most other breeds.
Back to top Go down
Michelle.Ang
Newborn
Newborn
Michelle.Ang

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 9:51 am

I tried to feel her ribs. In fact, it's a bit difficult to feel. So I guess the amount she is eating is alright.
Is she considered fat?

Below is her body from top view.

My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. 7643379340_827a9be473_c

Last edited by Michelle.Ang on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 10:33 am

She sounds like a good weight . One of my huskies does not eat much when it is hot out.. He really doesnot get enought exercise during warm weather.

It is true Huskies do self regulate.

What is her height from the floor to her front shoulder. ??

Back to top Go down
Michelle.Ang
Newborn
Newborn
Michelle.Ang

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 11:33 am

Her height around 56cm (about 22 inches). She stays in air condition whole day and sleeps a lot. Basically she sleeps the whole afternoon. I do walk her in the night for half an hour and sometimes in the morning, I will put her on treadmill for half an hour. I also play with her daily for at least 15 minutes. She gets enough exercise. So I just feel puzzled that she eats so little. But yet, I have had comments that she is fat!!!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 1:41 pm

Her weight looks fine from the picture. Yeah, siberians were bred to not need as much food as other breeds. I have to limit Elara to only a cup a day or she'll start getting fat. My boyfriend wants me to cut it back even more, but she already acts like we're starving her! She is not one of those self regulating huskies! Siku used to skip meals every now and then, but I've noticed her having more interest in food for a number of months now. Not sure what made her appetite change.

My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Her weight looks good to me as well. Nice waist and all!
Back to top Go down
Dragula64
Teenager
Teenager
Dragula64

Female Join date : 2012-07-22

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 7:50 pm

My girl is two and weighs about forty lbs. When we got her three months ago she was only about thirty five lbs. She does regulate her food by dividing it in her bowl. She will only eat half her bowl at a time. She literally makes a line in it and only eats that much. We have been giving her treats each day to help her gain weight. She won't ever turn down a treat! The vet says she is at a healthy weight now. She is just that way about food.
Back to top Go down
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Halli will have weeks where she won't eat the food given to her and will just lay next to it, then we get home in the afternoon she has maybe eaten half of it. There was about a year where she was not showing a real interest in the food , only treats, raw meat and bones, so we mixed raw beef mince in with her kibble in the morning so she was at least eating something. Once we changed the brand of food we were buying she now happily just eats the biscuits (which is good because it was starting to get a bit costly). The two boys will eat anything that is put in front of them.

She looks to be a normal weight to me, they will eat as much as they need to/feel is necessary for them. She is beautiful by the way! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Michelle.Ang
Newborn
Newborn
Michelle.Ang

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 10:57 pm

I'm so glad that I found this forum. Thanks for all the information shared. At least now I know that Coco is normal. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Michelle.Ang wrote:
I'm so glad that I found this forum. Thanks for all the information shared. At least now I know that Coco is normal. Very Happy
Totally off topic and irrelevant but Coco is a beauty!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:26 am

Michelle.Ang wrote:
Her height around 56cm (about 22 inches). She stays in air condition whole day and sleeps a lot. Basically she sleeps the whole afternoon. I do walk her in the night for half an hour and sometimes in the morning, I will put her on treadmill for half an hour. I also play with her daily for at least 15 minutes. She gets enough exercise. So I just feel puzzled that she eats so little. But yet, I have had comments that she is fat!!!

She really looks to be at a healthy weight.

My girl Kerian is about 21 inches in height and she weights about 40 lbs.

My boy Blaze is about 22.5 inches in height and he weights about 50 lbs.

It sounds like your coco is at a good weight and she is just requlating her eating.
Back to top Go down
tonyloks
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 2:00 pm

My bout to be 4 year old female does the same until the vet said to try blue buffalo and it worked!!
Back to top Go down
Michelle.Ang
Newborn
Newborn
Michelle.Ang

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 3:07 am

tonyloks wrote:
My bout to be 4 year old female does the same until the vet said to try blue buffalo and it worked!!

Coco is on Ziwipeak now. She loves it. Previously, I was worried she eats too little. She has put on 4kg (way too much) in 6 months since I switched to ziwipeak. My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. 1625187496
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 9:22 am

Quote :
She has put on 4kg (way too much) in 6 months since I switched to ziwipeak.

When it rains it pours Razz

~Chris~

PostSubject: Re: My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.   My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little. Empty

Back to top Go down

My 3 1/2 yr old female Siberian husky eats very little.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1