It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
vtomlinson
Newborn
Newborn
vtomlinson

Female Join date : 2012-03-23

What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? Empty
PostSubject: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 12:00 pm

So, it's going to be 100 degrees here in Atlanta this weekend. I've been walking the dogs pretty late in the afternoon so its won't be so hot, but last night it was still in the high 90s at 9pm. The young ones will destroy my house if I don't get them outside but I don't want to put them in danger either. How hot is too hot just for a walk? What do you do with your dogs in this kind of heat?
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 12:22 pm

OMG girl we have the exact same heat here in VA! It's been crazy the past 3 weeks with heat being in the 90's and 100's. The fist 2 weeks our A/C wasn't working properly and the house was a constant 80 degrees! It was miserable ... Thankfully I think the heat wore my puppies out, so they weren't too horrible. I keep plenty of ice water and lots of toys! Now, that our A/C is working, if they get too crazy I'm gonna throw their butt's on the treadmill! That's like corporal punishment for them (they hate it lol). Aside from that, I take them out swimming and they really enjoy that. Other than that, honestly not much. Maybe put out a sprinkler and see if they will play with that?
Back to top Go down
vtomlinson
Newborn
Newborn
vtomlinson

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Too bad I don't have a treadmill, that would be great. We have a neighborhood pool but I'm pretty sure dogs aren't allowed. I'll try the sprinkler tomorrow - they love the water feature at our dog park so they might play with that for a little while. Thanks for the idea!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 12:49 pm

We're in Miami so of course the heat is horrible!! Hasn't gotten in the 100s this summer yet, but it has gotten in the 90s. Which is pretty normal for us though Razz I usually walk them in the early evening (7ish), but if it's still TOO hot I'll cut their walk short. They get to play in the kiddie pool on the weekends too!
Back to top Go down
KitR
Puppy
Puppy
KitR

Female Join date : 2012-03-08

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 1:24 pm

I get up and walk our dogs as early as possible when we have really hot days. This morning we headed out around 6 and it was already almost 80.My husband also usually walks them when he gets home from work, but when it's that hot, it's just a trip around the block so everyone can do their business. Then, when it starts to "cool off" sometime around 10, I take them out again before we all head to bed.

We also try to get out to the dog park on the weekends really early in the morning and hose both of the dogs down before they go in to run. It helps them get their wiggles out, even if we're not there too long (we don't have a fully fenced yard, so running time happens at the dog park, doggie daycare, or when we go running together).
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 1:34 pm

I walk the dogs early in the morning just about everyday and temps here are in the 100's.

I let my dogs out in the back yard a few times during the day and Blaze sunbathes when he is out there lol!

I fill the kiddie pool but Blaze won't get into it yet. Kerian loves it she loves water when my husband gets the hose out to water she wants to play in the water..

Now Kerian and I are working on getting Blaze to play in the water.

Last summer it was just as hot here as it has been this year I would walk Blaze earlier morning and late evening then.

We go to the dog park in the evenings and weekend mornings.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 2:15 pm

It's been super hot in Michigan too - the dogs don't even want to go outside. Thankfully, Cato has a kiddy pool in the backyard and he will even lay down in it. Delilah prefers to lay in the cold dirt under a pine tree.

They will do zoomies for 15 minutes and then the heat sinks in. Thankfully, the sun zaps their energy so they don't need nearly as much exercise. It sucks though. At least they can play indoors.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 2:49 pm

It's 111 here in AZ and my dogs haven't done anything but sleep and wrestle for 2 mins in the backyard in 6 days... lol.
Back to top Go down
vtomlinson
Newborn
Newborn
vtomlinson

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 3:43 pm

ljelgin wrote:
I walk the dogs early in the morning just about everyday and temps here are in the 100's. .

Do you walk them when it's in the 100s? How long are you out there?
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 3:54 pm

We walk about 30-40 mintues.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 3:56 pm

In summer heat I'd say early mornings are going to be your best bet because the temps have had all night to drop as low as they'll go.

Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 6:06 pm

I still run my dog when it's hot, but earlier in the morning and for a shorter distance.
In the afternoon in full sun, I just take him out to pee.
Then he gets a longer walk when it's dark.
Honestly, I think it's direct sun that's the killer.
Back to top Go down
Montana14
Puppy
Puppy
Montana14

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 7:13 pm

We just broke an all time record for heat here in Augusta today: 106 Degrees! I hate the heat, hurry up and get here winter! I take my 2 out after dark when it's this hot and short potty trips during the day. I looked at the temp in my car today driving home and it read 111 at 5 pm! Shocked I can't even go fishing.....this heat sucks!

yay! for my 100th post!
Back to top Go down
jen72691
Newborn
Newborn
jen72691

Female Join date : 2012-06-20

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 4:25 pm

Ziggy has a kiddie pool that he plays in for a little while during the day and we play tug and fetch inside. Then at 6ish we take him to the doggy park and bring a ton of water and then we take him on a long walk around 8 or 9 Smile I just came back inside from playing with Ziggy in the pool. He ran around for 10 minutes and went to lay down by the door to say he's done. Its 86 here today, ick!!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 7:00 pm

jen72691 wrote:
Ziggy has a kiddie pool that he plays in for a little while during the day and we play tug and fetch inside. Then at 6ish we take him to the doggy park and bring a ton of water and then we take him on a long walk around 8 or 9 Smile I just came back inside from playing with Ziggy in the pool. He ran around for 10 minutes and went to lay down by the door to say he's done. Its 86 here today, ick!!

86 sounds amazing, its been no less than 90 here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Male Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 7:16 pm

104 hear in SC. I think if it's dark or dusk so there is not direct sunlight they would be ok. I know as a human 100 feels a lot hotter in direct sunlight than 100 when its cloudy.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 8:39 pm

We head for the hills where it's at least 15-20 degrees cooler in the mornings and we go for a hike. Otherwise, we walk earlier and later in the day and during the day, we go for really short walks. Sometimes I take them to doggy daycare for half day during the week where the pups can go outside if they want but if they stay inside, it's kept at 75 degrees.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 8:49 pm

mheath0429 wrote:

Agreed! 86 is like "normal" for Miami, but the upper 90s/100s is not cool!!! I walked the pups at 5pm today and it was just too much. Had to cut it short.

Like Michael said, it's the direct sun that's killer. If it's 90, but the sun is going down or coming up it's fine. What kills us here is the damn humidity! It's horrible! So try 95 degrees and insane humidity Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 10:01 pm

It was 104 here today and the doggies didn't go out at all! They said with the heat index yesterday felt like 112! Too freakin hot if you ask me! I can't wait for fall to come, so it'll cool down!
Back to top Go down
vtomlinson
Newborn
Newborn
vtomlinson

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:00 am

So we walked early in the mornings this weekend before it got too bad. But it was 106 here on Saturday and I couldn't keep Dakota inside! She kept going out and just sunbathing - I don't think she knows she's a husky.
I kept them pretty occupied with bones and toys, but I still found various chewed spots around the house, including my beautiful new moulding that I just had installed. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
rachel.bontje
Newborn
Newborn
rachel.bontje

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 4:57 pm

we play in our big unfinished basement, throwing her ball back and forth from one end to the other, she's not interested in being outside at all when its hot and if we do put her out there she just hides under the deck
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 4:57 pm

I had our dogs out a good bit this weekend, even with the high temperatures. I kept plenty of water for them, and did wet down the grass some in the shade, but they didn't seem to mind being out there. I checked them out (looking at ears, gums, and tongue for off colors), but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Most of the day, the door was open enough for them to come in when they wanted, and they spent most of the day outside.

Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 5:50 pm

vtomlinson wrote:
She kept going out and just sunbathing - I don't think she knows she's a husky.

Demon does this too! It drives us nuts! lol
Back to top Go down
jen72691
Newborn
Newborn
jen72691

Female Join date : 2012-06-20

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 12:35 am

mheath0429 wrote:
jen72691 wrote:

Today was 91 and tomorrow is going to be 96 =[ I shouldn't have complained about the 86 degrees haha. Dang it!
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 12:41 am

High 90s here and the rain keeps missing us. Ponds and creeks are starting to dry up and the lakes are really low. We take Raven swimming to help burn off some energy but short or no walks lately its just too hot with the heat and humidity.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?   What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside? Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you do with your dogs if you can't go outside?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next