It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Can a Husky live in Louisiana?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
goldiefur
Newborn
Newborn

Can a Husky live in Louisiana? Empty
PostSubject: Can a Husky live in Louisiana?   Can a Husky live in Louisiana? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 11:00 pm

This will be an inside dog with a/c and fans. Most people I have talked to says it will be fine. There are a few that thinks it will have skin problems, not be able to play due to the heat, get bored because of that then run away. I have Goldens now that hate the heat and they are less active in the summer so we go out for 20 minute play sessions throughout the day like throwing ball. My dogs also get a kiddie pool every summer and play in the hose. I walk my Golden at night already because he does not like the heat. Please give me your opinions
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Male Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Can a Husky live in Louisiana?   Can a Husky live in Louisiana? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 11:18 pm

To give you a short answer- Yes they can
I'm sure others will give you a much more detailed answer haha
Welcome to the forum btw
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Can a Husky live in Louisiana?   Can a Husky live in Louisiana? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:08 am

Yes, they can and with out issues. I live in South FL along with other people from FL. We all have huskies and I have had no issues. Thor and my GSD Nero both run in and out most of the day. Make sure they always have plenty of fresh water to drink and what ever you do DO NOT SHAVE THEM.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Can a Husky live in Louisiana?   Can a Husky live in Louisiana? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:21 am

Welcome to the forum! We live a couple hours down the road from New Orleans near Pensacola, FL and our Husky does just fine in the heat. You need to be a little careful about how hard you work them during the heat of the day, but we just walk ours early in the morning or later at night during the summer. We also have a kiddie pool that ours plays in. One word of caution, do NOT ever let anyone convince you that shaving a Husky is a good idea. It's horrible for them, but seems to be unfortunately popular in the warmer climates. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Can a Husky live in Louisiana? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Can a Husky live in Louisiana?   Can a Husky live in Louisiana? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 9:50 am

Repeat: Do NOT shave them.

Other then that yeah they'll be fine. Easy does it though during the heat.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Can a Husky live in Louisiana?   Can a Husky live in Louisiana? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 10:03 am

I don't see why not. I live in Tulsa and we had a very very hot summer last year my husky did very well we walk in the very early morning hours and late at night. Blaze loves his walks.

There are alot of huskies that live here the owners take them to the dog park in the evening a couple of times a week.

DO NOT SHAVE THEM:: wave welcome to the group
Back to top Go down
goldiefur
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Can a Husky live in Louisiana?   Can a Husky live in Louisiana? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:51 pm

Thanks for the replies! I do know not to shave them because I have Goldens with a top and under coat and they can not be shaved either. The negativity is coming from a few that own foo foo dogs. One in particular owns a foo foo and has never owned big dogs. I have had 12 Goldens since 1996 and before that German Shepherds( and foofoo's as well) I have NEVER gotten rid of an animal in my life she adopted a cat that she got rid of reasons unknown. I have 4 cats now and I would really have to sit and count to figure out all of the animals I have had during my life and NOT one was ever given up! every one of them lived their full lives with our family. I have not read one thing about Huskie's not being able to live where it's hot nor has any person with Husky knowledge said that they can not. She's also trying to tell me about the fur that will be in the house. I have 5 Goldens that live indoors I HAVE FUR! I have to brush the Goldens once a day with either a slicker or furminator to keep the fur levels down. I would not trade them for the world I love them and all the fur that comes with them. Thanks for the advice and I'm sure I will be on here a lot in the future!
Back to top Go down
Kira
Newborn
Newborn
Kira

Female Join date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Can a Husky live in Louisiana?   Can a Husky live in Louisiana? EmptyMon May 07, 2012 9:21 am

I was born in Louisiana and lived there till we moved to north Alabama two years ago. In some ways it gets hotter up here than it did down there but we have much less humidity. We just got out sibe last October so I haven't seen her go through the heat of the summer yet.She uses a doggy door and mostly would rather be outside than in. we have had several days in the 90's already and she still likes outside but usually laying in the shade somewhere and loves to play in the hose. Husky's will be fine in La. but like others have said, don't overwork them in the heat.
Back to top Go down
AgentCaroline
Puppy
Puppy
AgentCaroline

Female Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Can a Husky live in Louisiana?   Can a Husky live in Louisiana? EmptyMon May 07, 2012 9:05 pm

I agree with everyone else. I don't see why a husky can't be perfectly happy in Louisiana. I know Las Vegas is nothing like Louisiana since you guys get all of that humidity and all, but it can get pretty hot here and my husky has been perfectly fine. We keep him mostly inside with the a/c, but he still gets his exercise chasing my other two dogs around the house. When we do let him outside, he likes to bathe in the sun and won't want to come in for a couple of hours. We usually take him out for his walks at night when it is much cooler out too.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Can a Husky live in Louisiana?   Can a Husky live in Louisiana? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:50 am

Welcome back Caroline, its been quite some time since we last saw you.
Back to top Go down
AgentCaroline
Puppy
Puppy
AgentCaroline

Female Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Can a Husky live in Louisiana?   Can a Husky live in Louisiana? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:26 pm

Hey thanks! Real life have been keeping me so busy I haven't been able to get online as much as I used to anymore. I'm trying to make time now, at least until I can find a job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can a Husky live in Louisiana?   Can a Husky live in Louisiana? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can a Husky live in Louisiana?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1