It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sit Means Sit Training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TyphonInc
Puppy
Puppy
TyphonInc

Male Join date : 2009-06-23

Sit Means Sit Training Empty
PostSubject: Sit Means Sit Training   Sit Means Sit Training EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Hey Gang,

Here is the link for the training Sinatra has been enrolled in.
http://www.sitmeanssit.com/

While talking with my spouse she made an interesting comment, "paying 700 bucks for dog training is ridiculous! But way cheaper than a divorce attorney." Of course she was joking about the getting divorced, but she and Sinatra just don't get along. So I did a lot of research and we have started a training program with the local Sit Means Sit trainer.

His progress after 1 training class has been astonishing.
He sits before going outside, waits till the command is given for him to come and and then sits again till he is released.
He leaves the cats alone!
He understands boundaries in the house.
He comes to us when called, stays off furniture, and no longer jumps on people to greet them.
He is no longer attacking other dogs.
Biggest of all, he listens now when my wife gives him a command.

All of the fun cuddle stuff that makes him a great dog is still there, he just doesn't get away with doing anything that used to annoy us.

I'll try to keep this updated as he training progresses, and will answer any questions that get posted.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Sit Means Sit Training   Sit Means Sit Training EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 3:58 pm

I'm so glad that you found a method that works! I'm actually really interested to hear more details, as John and I have a few things that we really want Koda to learn that we've been having trouble teaching with other methods. John brings up training such as Sit Means Sit but I'm more hesitant to do so because I prefer positive reinforcement...

-Sit Means Sit uses a training collar right? One with prongs? How is it used?

-Have you noticed a change in Sinatra? Does he cower or get submissive and seem "broken" in anyway?

-Is his energy level the same? Does he seem happy?

-Is he ever HURT in the process? (like, so that he yelps, or something)

Again, I'm so glad that things are working out. I'd really be interested in your responses though as like I said, if someone can convince me that this training method isn't all about punishment, I'd be more willing to let John have his way.

Smile

Sit Means Sit Training Hailey10
Back to top Go down
TyphonInc
Puppy
Puppy
TyphonInc

PostSubject: Re: Sit Means Sit Training   Sit Means Sit Training EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 6:04 pm

It is a Training Collar. The Instructor had both of us hold the collar to see how a "shock" felt on different levels. It's a very mild (very low amperage device) that isn't used to punish the dog but to get his attention. You use the collar, for commands, corrections, and for positive reinforcement. When ever I say anything to the dog "Sit, Good sit, Good Boy, Off, etc." he gets a touch.

The trainer said that some dogs do exhibit submissive behaviors, but that it was due to a different type of training, not because of the collar touches, and for us the owners to work to help the dog get adjusted to the new way of interaction. Sinatra has not shown submissive behaviors and has adapted really quickly to the training (and attention) he is now getting.

There is a dial on the device so that you can make the touches more intense if your animal is not responding. We have taken to the level up to 5 couple times (like when he wants to chase another animal) and if we stay at the level he will give us a yelp after a couple minutes. (I can hold the device at it's maximum level 8 in my hand, it makes my pinkie twitch.) So we just dial it back to a 2 or 3 depending on his responses. (I can't even feel it at 2, and just barely at 3 sometimes.)

The positive improvement we have seen in just a week blows me away. Courtney doesn't yell at Sinatra anymore, and when he listens to her, he gets so much positive interactions from her that I think we all love it.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Sit Means Sit Training   Sit Means Sit Training EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 6:32 pm

i saw them at the ski show over the weekend and it was cool. i wish the price was better as that is alot to fork over. i put my name in to have someone call us but no one has yet.
Back to top Go down
TyphonInc
Puppy
Puppy
TyphonInc

PostSubject: Re: Sit Means Sit Training   Sit Means Sit Training EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 3:16 pm

jbealer - Have you received a call yet? Each Sit Means sit is individually operated so interactions will vary.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Sit Means Sit Training   Sit Means Sit Training EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 3:38 pm

nope no call yet! oh well we don't have the money anyway
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sit Means Sit Training   Sit Means Sit Training Empty

Back to top Go down

Sit Means Sit Training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1