It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Do you groom or do you use take out?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mahan.donna
Newborn
Newborn
mahan.donna

Female Join date : 2012-04-01

Do you groom or do you use take out? Empty
PostSubject: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi everyone....I was just wondering if you groom your Husky yourself or if you take them to a groomer?

If you groom yourself....any tips? Wink
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 7:00 pm

I bathe and brush Bella myself. Though she's due for at least one trip to my groomer.

Do you groom or do you use take out? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 7:10 pm

never been to a groomer after the quote of over $45 for just ONE of them!!!! in the summer when its nice i use the hose out back on the deck to avoid mud and then go walk them till they are dry, in the winter i found city bark has a self wash station for $10 a dog for an hour each dog, i love leaving the mess there and using the blow dryer.

when out side i hook the leash to them then hold the leash with my foot to avoid a run away and then i just plan on getting a bath with them Razz

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Myself. However there is this event out here for a 5 dollar groom!! I used this mom and pop shampoo!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 8:46 pm

I bathe them myself either at home or at work. I just bought myself a HV drier so now I mostly use that between baths to help with the hair.

For some advice I would never use some place like petco or petsmart (the groomers) because I honestly don't feel like they can properly bathe a Husky. At work I mostly do all the Husky baths and people always say how it was much better than petsmart/petco whatever. If I was going to get my dogs groomed it would be with an actual groomer at an actual grooming salon.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 9:19 pm

I do it myself, but I go to Petsmart and use their self-serve booth for $10. Their drain gets clogged, the bath is at a good height, Appa can't get away (there's a tether that keeps him close), there's a limitless supply of towels, and the High Velocity Dryer is a life saver.
Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 9:29 pm

I groom mine myself. I can't imagine how much it would cost to take all 10 of them to the groomers. Shocked lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 9:33 pm

I do it my self for both. Once in a while I will take them to a local lady.
I totally forgot about Petsmart having the do it your self. The Petsmart's around here do not have them. The one I went to when I lived in Ohio did. Now that I think about it I kinda miss those...lol
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 10:53 pm

I go to a self dog wash at Pet Extreme here in town. $12 to use the space, endless supply of Earthbath shampoo and towels. I only do that every 3-5 months depending on how dirty he is. In-between I brush him out weekly.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 11:00 pm

I do it myself. I have a stand up shower with a hard door on it, so I can keep them in the shower without them getting away. I just pick up all the hair that ends up on the drain. I towel them off and then trim their nails and then blow them off with the high velocity drier and done! I always look for shampoos that are biodegradable and gentle on the coat/skin.

Do you groom or do you use take out? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 12:13 am

jbealer wrote:
never been to a groomer after the quote of over $45 for just ONE of them!!!! in the summer when its nice i use the hose out back on the deck to avoid mud and then go walk them till they are dry, in the winter i found city bark has a self wash station for $10 a dog for an hour each dog, i love leaving the mess there and using the blow dryer.

when out side i hook the leash to them then hold the leash with my foot to avoid a run away and then i just plan on getting a bath with them Razz

This is my story, too. However, our do-it-yourself dog wash is either $20 or $25 for large dogs (can't remember - I haven't used it yet). I want to use it one day, but that's a lot of money just so I can work and drive home wet. I do like the idea of getting to use their soaps, brushes, towels, dryer... Our Petsmart does not have a dog wash. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 12:35 am

Our local daycare/groomer does my dogs for $20, or if they're blowing their coat, $25. That's for a bath, brush out and blow dry Smile I hate doing baths at home so they do the groomer about every few months.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 1:38 am

SaraB wrote:
I do it myself. I have a stand up shower with a hard door on it, so I can keep them in the shower without them getting away. I just pick up all the hair that ends up on the drain. I towel them off and then trim their nails and then blow them off with the high velocity drier and done! I always look for shampoos that are biodegradable and gentle on the coat/skin.

This is pretty much exactly what I do.

Newborn
Newborn
mahan.donna

Female Join date : 2012-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks guys! .....and all of your dogs are beauties! Smile
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 12:43 pm

I use a groomer twice a year, for the blow, because I don't have a high velocity dryer. If they need it any other time (Like now, they all smell like nasties) I will do it myself. However, that may change bc my groomer is my partner in the husky and mal group here and she has said that anyone in the group she will groom for free LOL!
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 12:44 pm

iceblulady wrote:
I do it my self for both. Once in a while I will take them to a local lady.
I totally forgot about Petsmart having the do it your self. The Petsmart's around here do not have them. The one I went to when I lived in Ohio did. Now that I think about it I kinda miss those...lol

We don't have a petsmart do it yourself either, but the doggie daycare does, so I will probably take them there.
Back to top Go down
artoaky
Teenager
Teenager
artoaky

Male Join date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 1:48 pm

I groom Luna myself once a month. However I do take her to the groomer every 3rd month or if I don't have time. When I groom her I take her to Petsmart for her nails. I'm too chicken to do them myself.

I use Paul Mitchel shampoo. Yes Paul Mitchel haha My sister bought it for Luna during Christmas.

Here are the Links to her Shampoo/Conditioner/Wipes
http://www.johnpaulpet.com/pet-products/oatmeal-shampoo

http://www.johnpaulpet.com/pet-products/oatmeal-conditioning-spray

http://www.johnpaulpet.com/pet-products/eye-ear

Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 3:36 pm

I used to bath mine at home but she picks up phobias like they are going out of style and has always been scared of baths. When I started bathing her myself she became scared of me! If she saw me come out of the bathroom she'd start crying and hide in her crate, it was very sad. It's unfortunate because she was so easy to bathe, but she went stock still and shook like a leaf the whole time. But now we pay a groomer $20 for the standard bath/brush/toenail trim and she hates them, not me. (It's been a year and a half since I've bathed her at home, and never in our current house, and she will still shake and cry if *I* take a bath. smh.)

The Petco here said it was $70 minimum to bathe her because "she is a husky"! Which I think is ridiculous to begin with, plus Phantom is a tiny 40lb mix and has a much thinner coat than the standard Husky.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you groom or do you use take out?   Do you groom or do you use take out? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you groom or do you use take out?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Grooming-