It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Kona - Is it a female or male name?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JSitthi
Newborn
Newborn

Kona - Is it a female or male name? Empty
PostSubject: Kona - Is it a female or male name?   Kona - Is it a female or male name? EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:38 pm

I had a little bit of a debate with my friends on whether Kona is a female or male name. Our male pup is named Kona right now, but I'm willing to change his name if there is outstanding support for Kona being a female name - I don't want him to be made fun of his by his peers when he grows up! Laughing

If you don't know what Kona originates from, it is a Hawaiian coffee blend. Googling it as a pet name reveals much support for it being a female name...I've only found one site claiming it to be male.

What do you think? I suppose it's not too late to change his name!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Kona - Is it a female or male name?   Kona - Is it a female or male name? EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:43 pm

lol. I would say female because it ends in an -a and that's feminine to me. But it could go both ways. One of my girl's name is Siku and it can go both ways. My friend has a female named Maiko which sounds male to me. So go with whatever you like the sound of. It's your dog! lol.

Kona - Is it a female or male name? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Kona - Is it a female or male name?   Kona - Is it a female or male name? EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:48 pm

SaraB wrote:
So go with whatever you like the sound of. It's your dog! lol.

Agreed! I named mine Ghost after a male wolf in a book series I love, even though my Ghost is a female. Plus, I think Kona definitely sounds pretty manly, and I love Kona coffee Cool

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Kona - Is it a female or male name? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
JSitthi
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Kona - Is it a female or male name?   Kona - Is it a female or male name? EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:49 pm

SaraB wrote:
lol. I would say female because it ends in an -a and that's feminine to me.

I was thinking the same thing! Kona seems like a fitting name right now cause he's a puppy, but I can't really imagine calling him Kona when he's fully grown. Doesn't seem masculine enough, heh.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Kona - Is it a female or male name?   Kona - Is it a female or male name? EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 am

My buddy has a male aussie named Kona Smile
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Kona - Is it a female or male name?   Kona - Is it a female or male name? EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 12:49 am

Kona is a town on the big island of Hawaii, so Kona coffee is coffee beans that are grown in Kona on the big island or originating from that part of the big island of Hawaii, transplanted elswhere...or it is the Hawaiian word for leeward (being in or facing the direction toward which the wind is blowing).

Kona used as a name can be unisex. I have friends, both male and female, with Kona as part of their full first name, and both use Kona as their nickname since their Hawaiian full first name is so dang long! (for example: Konakawaihe'e - male, Konakalainani - female).

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Kona - Is it a female or male name?   Kona - Is it a female or male name? EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 12:52 am

Thanks! A very convincing argument to not change his name Smile
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Kona - Is it a female or male name?   Kona - Is it a female or male name? EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 1:37 am

cmanding wrote:
Kona is a town on the big island of Hawaii, so Kona coffee is coffee beans that are grown in Kona on the big island or originating from that part of the big island of Hawaii, transplanted elswhere...or it is the Hawaiian word for leeward (being in or facing the direction toward which the wind is blowing).
).

You beat me to the coffee part of the comment, been drinking Kona coffee since our return from Maui in January.
Kona coffee is even better then the stuff we get from the Philippines (Monk's Blend).
Back to top Go down
xxchristine
Puppy
Puppy
xxchristine

Female Join date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Kona - Is it a female or male name?   Kona - Is it a female or male name? EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 3:16 am

The -a ending being feminine is kind of a generalization.. A lot of us have Dakota/Kota/Koda(h) has male names Smile haha. And I agree Hawaiian nicknames are generally unisex. If you like it then I say keep it. I had to fight my brothers for the name Kota Razz haha jk.
Back to top Go down
http://xxchristine.tumblr.com
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Kona - Is it a female or male name?   Kona - Is it a female or male name? EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 10:08 am

Here4thePics wrote:
cmanding wrote:
).

You beat me to the coffee part of the comment, been drinking Kona coffee since our return from Maui in January.
Kona coffee is even better then the stuff we get from the Philippines (Monk's Blend).
I'll be in Hawaii at the end of May - if you want me to get you more Kona coffee, PM me Smile

Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Kona - Is it a female or male name?   Kona - Is it a female or male name? EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Kona to me sounds masculine.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Kona - Is it a female or male name?   Kona - Is it a female or male name? EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Kona reminds me of Kona grill here and i want sushi now......

oh thats right were taking names, i say keep it

Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Kona - Is it a female or male name?   Kona - Is it a female or male name? EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 1:34 pm

I used to be the Kona girl at Kona Skatepark lol
I always thought it sounded like a boy name because of the skatepark reference, however my neighbor has a female PitBull named Kona.

All in all I think it's a good boy name lol Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kona - Is it a female or male name?   Kona - Is it a female or male name? Empty

Back to top Go down

Kona - Is it a female or male name?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1