It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes Empty
PostSubject: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 6:34 pm

I HATE BSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are moving out or my in laws. I found other 2 apartments which is a total of 3 apartments who allow maggie.

My conversation

Can you tell me your breed restrictions?

pitbulls, Alaskan malamute, husky, wolf breeds

Do you know why Alaskan malamutes are not allowed places? Can I speak to your manager?

Manager comes on: It is because they are on all renter insurance policies.

Well that is not true because I have AAA and they are not on the list

They are an aggressive breed

Obviously you did not do your research, they are the most friendly dogs. Mine is the sweetest calmest thing ever, I wish you guys did a case by case. I had her in an apartment before she was fine.

I had a guy so sympathetic towards me he called over to their sister community and they allowed malamutes and gave them my info.

one I really wanted it, they said they allow all dogs and really dog friendly ("case by case") well they have a breed restriction list. We need to hurry up and make more money so we can use the VA loan for a house.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Erica
You and board her at my home until you can get a house.. lol!

Just kidding I know you could not part with her..

Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:38 pm

hahaha!! Ya no, my mom in law wants to keep her here! No we will be moving to one of the 3 apartments. My mom in law now wants a malamute!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:40 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
hahaha!! Ya no, my mom in law wants to keep her here! No we will be moving to one of the 3 apartments. My mom in law now wants a malamute!

I am thinking I need to get a malamute for a second dog a female now I need to find one that need adopted. Don't really want a young puppy.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:42 pm

go here, They have a list of rescues!

http://www.malamuterescue.org/ Smile
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 8:53 pm

norbreedslove wrote:

Here ya go....... long drive tho

http://rochester.craigslist.org/pet/2898771907.html
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 8:58 pm

He looks like a polar bear!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
norbreedslove wrote:

Here ya go....... long drive tho

http://rochester.craigslist.org/pet/2898771907.html

OH AH he is a cutie I want him and that is a very long drive for me.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 3:05 am

That's really surprising to me. Out of all the places I've contacted about houses in the last 2 years only one of them said no to mals and huskies..
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 9:04 am

I actually had a bunch of rental houses say no Huskies down here. I need to call and update my insurance policy now that Ghost has her CGC to see if that makes any difference...

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 9:29 am

norbreedslove wrote:
Manager comes on: It is because they are on all renter insurance policies.

They are on a lot of insurance policies so it's not surprising. The insurance that covers the apartment complex will most often determine whether or not they will allow a certain breed, it's not necessarily the managers that have a say. If their insurance doesn't cover certain breeds then they just can't accept them.

Huskies, Mals, Akitas, GSD's, and bully breeds are typically on the breed restriction list for many insurance companies because of bite statistics. And it's not just renting but also homeowners insurance that you have to work around as well. I know we don't agree with them but the statistics are there and the insurance companies use them to create their breed restriction lists whether we like it or not. Of course there are a number of companies that won't turn you down for a certain breed so long as your dog has no bite record. But by the same token there are a number of companies who will. It's just a matter of shopping around.

Every time I've ever looked for an apartment it's been a challenge. The majority will not take Sibes (and even more will not take more than 2 dogs but that's a whole extra dimension!) so I have always been really limited in finding a place to rent. In talking to a lot of apartment complexes about their insurance carriers it seems a lot of them are covered by the same insurance companies which explains why they all have the exact same breed restriction lists.

Finding homeowners insurance was a bit easier for me but there are some that wouldn't cover sibes. Most were willing to work with me provided none of my dogs had a bite history. No matter what, I recommend being completely honest with your insurance (whether it's now or in the future). Not disclosing that you have a dog (especially if it's one on the restricted breed list) could result in your insurance being dropped if they ever find out. One ill timed, unannounced insurance agent home visit could land you a 30 day notice of homeowners insurance cancellation. Yes, it can and does happen which is why I strongly encourage being completely open and honest even if it makes things harder or slightly more expensive for you. I think we pay only $25 extra per year for extra coverage on our homeowners insurance to cover our 3 dogs ($30,000 in liability coverage I think, not 100% certain on that), and our insurance knows exactly what breed each of our dogs is.

But as much as I may not agree with the restriction lists, I knew they were there LONG before I decided to get the breed of dog I have so I knew what I was getting myself into. Just gotta play the game...

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Huskies are on AAA insurance but alaskan malamutes are not here. My mom in law is our insurance agent for renters insurance. She can't even tell people prices with huskies. Hey we have 3 good apartment complexes, to choose from.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 3:12 pm

I had no idea Huskies were on the list! I just called a few apartments I was looking at in my area and they said the same thing!! No Huskies, Dalmatians, Alaskan Malamutes, etc. I was in total shock! Only one building allowed any breed, but the total dog's could not exceed 100lbs looks like I'm stuck getting a town house!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 5:41 pm

Ya, I had one apartment that said the weight of 2 dogs combines together can't be more that 60 pounds. Ya there goes my second dog for that place. Maggie goes from 60-67 pounds all the time. I wish she pick a weight! well the one apartment just said pitbulls and went ooooooo I love alaskan malamutes. That put a smile on my face.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 6:42 pm

We have progressive renters insurance and they cover us with both the huskies
Back to top Go down
g0tmus1c
Puppy
Puppy
g0tmus1c

Female Join date : 2012-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 7:54 pm

I hate this rule also ! and the weight limit rules...I've been looking for a place close to my college for next year and sent mass emails to CL apartment ads asking one question..do you take huskies?!?! -__-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes   Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes Empty

Back to top Go down

Apartments with Huskies/Malamutes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1