It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New husky owner in Oklahoma.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Psammacora
Newborn
Newborn
Psammacora

Male Join date : 2012-02-21

New husky owner in Oklahoma. Empty
PostSubject: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Hello all,

I've had Kirk since November, but I just now found this site, so I figured I'd introduce myself. My name is Richard and I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I got kirk in November from a breeder down near Oklahoma City. He's just over 7 months old now and a little over 50 lbs. He's quite the little terror. Since I've had him, he's managed to destroy almost all of the carpet in my bedroom (except for the section he likes to sleep on of course), the laminate tile in the laundry room, a ton of dishes, and he's eaten quite a bit of drywall in the garage. The last few months have been very educational, and I've come to realize why people say they are quite the escape artists. But I wouldn't trade him for the world.

This is him when I first brought him home:

New husky owner in Oklahoma. KirkPuppy2

His first freak out while I was out:

New husky owner in Oklahoma. KirkDestruction1

This was a few weeks ago. He always sleeps with his favorite toy:

New husky owner in Oklahoma. KirkandToy

My roommate has a border collie that he runs with:

New husky owner in Oklahoma. KirkandLeela

He and I on a hike:

New husky owner in Oklahoma. IMG_0796

I'm excited to get to know everyone and learn as much as I can!
Back to top Go down
Nira Sky
Puppy
Puppy
Nira Sky

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Beautiful dog. Welcome to the site Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bott6654
Puppy
Puppy
bott6654

Male Join date : 2012-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Great lookin dog! I'm in Norman while going to OU. You'll learn a ton on this forum.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 10:52 pm

wave Welcome! He is beautiful! Have you tried crate training him? It would save your house. Smile
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Welcome to the forum! He sounds like a husky who has a lot of pent up energy Razz Increasing the amount of exercise and stimulation that he gets should decrease the amount of destruction he does. Huskies destroy things when they are bored.

New husky owner in Oklahoma. Hailey10
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi Richard, welcome to you and Kirk.

I am in Broken Arrow, ok we got Blaze last July when he was 9 months old.. he is not 16 months old. We did some dog training at petsmart in Broken Arrow and it did help both us and him..

You do need to do crate training .. We are home with Blaze most of the day either me or my hubby who works from home but when we both go out we do crate him.

Blaze torn up two pillows once while we were up stairs and he was downstairs bored.
the second one he manage to get while in the crate and torn it up.

Be aware they love to dig Blaze does every chance he gets in the yard.

Also I wanted to add that the dog parks Biscuit acres and Joe station bark park are good for huskies there is quite a few huskies that go to biscuit acres it is currenly closed but is scheduled to reopen may 1st I believe.
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:24 pm

Hi and welcome to the forums wave
Back to top Go down
Psammacora
Newborn
Newborn
Psammacora

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:57 pm

(I tried to post this reply a bit ago, but it didn't seem to show up)

I spent the better part of the last 2 months trying to crate train him. He wasn't having any part of it. He actually managed to break his crate once, and found a way to break out of another on several occasions. When I finally managed to get him to stop getting out, he decided to tear up all the carpet immediately outside of the crate, then pull a family heirloom rug into the crate and eat it all. While in the crate he also showed us that he was part howler monkey and was so loud that even the neighbors came over to see if we were abusing the dog. So that option seemed to go out the window. He is the most well behaved dog in the world so long as I'm around. He sleeps in my room with no crate and just passes out. I take him on daily walks and play with him alot. I usually take him to hunter park. Unfortunately he hadn't been neutered yet when biscuit acres closed so he hasn't been able to go yet. I used to take my roommates dog there all the time though, so I fully intend on going there alot when it opens back up.

I've already had run ins with digging. He doesn't dig as much as the border collie though, but he likes to bury things. Usually toys, and once he managed to remove the leela's collar and buried that too. He really is quite the handful. But he is very obedient and listens to just about everything I say. We started building a dog house for them not too long ago that we are keeping in the garage for now. It's not finished yet, but it's ready for dogs. We attached one of those metal play-pens to it so when no one is home we just leave the doors open and they can play in pen outside of it.

New husky owner in Oklahoma. 420616_10151299232860411_655135410_22923081_565296389_n
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 12:04 am

LMAO part Howler Monkey!! That was priceless! You can hear those guys from 5 miles away!

He is a beautiful dog, welcome to the forums.
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 12:07 am

Wow, impressive dog house. Hmmmm...... DEAR!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:06 am

welcome from california wave
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:06 am

Gorgeous boy you've got there!

Kale and I say HELLOOO from California Cool
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:36 am

Welcome Richard and Kirk! I'm in the OKC area and run a Husky / Malamute meetup group down here. It would be cool for you Tulsa peeps to have one too. If you want to check it out here's the link, https://www.facebook.com/groups/215162608505175/ and if you're down this way feel free to PM me for a get together. This is such a great site and I love actually getting to meet people in person that are on here.

Watch out forum the Okie contingent is growing! affraid
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 12:00 pm

Welcome! Kirk is a cutie!
Back to top Go down
Flhuskylover
Puppy
Puppy
Flhuskylover

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Welcome, Richard and Kirk!!

I love the dog house you guys made!!! You and your roommate are quite handy! Good job on the dog house! Let me know how the dogs like it since we are thinking of building one for our huskies too Smile.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Welcome! got your hands full but glad to hear your sticking it out, at this point most huskies end up in shelters from that behavior....

Newborn
Newborn
Psammacora

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 pm

I would never be able to give him up. I haven't had him too too long, but I've gotten very attached, very fast.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner in Oklahoma.   New husky owner in Oklahoma. Empty

Back to top Go down

New husky owner in Oklahoma.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-