It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is your husky protective?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JMS
Newborn
Newborn
JMS

Is your husky protective? Empty
PostSubject: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 3:32 pm

When we researched Sibes before adopting, we were well aware of the "poor watchdog" tendency of the breed. However, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with their dog actually protecting them in a dangerous (or possibly dangerous) situation. I run a lot (alone) with our dog, and even though I think her appearance is a deterrent, I'm starting to wonder if she'd do anything if I was actually in danger. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Well i know Sierra would protect me if a "bad" man came after me, but i think thats cause she was abused by a man and has issues with men, she will guard me from my husband if she does not want him close to me. i would like to think they love us enough to do something if we were in danger, that is if you don't drop the leash and they just go off running somewhere. as far as someone breaking into the house with no one home, they would not do a thing and most likely run out the door and away.

Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 4:01 pm

I think Blaze as given warning barks a couple of times to people he tought were getting to cloe to me at times.

He loves the neighbors grandson that she watches during the day I think he would protect him someone was going to hurt him.
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 4:04 pm

When strangers approach too quickly, our male tries to hide behind us, and our female prepares to lick them to death.

As for warning you that someone is nearby, or in, the house. A couple weeks ago, we had a friend coming over. He pulled in the driveway, came up to the front door, opened it, walked in, walked through the house to the stairs and yelled down "hey guys, I'm here." When he yelled, they jumped up and started barking. Not quite an "early warning system."
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:28 pm

Biko is way over protective of me. Once the sun sets he feels its his duty to be my guardian, pain in the butt sometimes but if I ever needed him to react I'm confident enough that he'd be there for me.

On a humorous note one night some dudes were banging/knocking at the door in the wee hours of the morning Mylo woke me as he always would. We went to the door to see what the frick was going on, when I open the door the guys both about shit a brick. One took off and the other I think was trying to apologize but was busy keeping his eyes on Mylo. Mylo zipped out the door and peed on the nearest bush then came back wanting in the house.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:39 pm

That's a funny story, Len.

Ghost is very friendly with everyone, or sometimes he's aloof but calm in receiving pets. He would protect me if I was in trouble. People are sometimes frightened of him, especially when he rears up on his hind legs because then he's about six foot tall. He would definitely protect me from a bear, whereas our other dog runs and glues himself to my side if there's a bear about.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:07 am

Hayden is only 15 weeks and our trainer said he guards me like crazy! He put's himself between me and people and other dogs.

My trainer told me of a story that happened to her with her Husky. She said that a guy came to her door demanding money and tried forcing himself into her home and she said all of a sudden he just stopped and had a scared to death look on his face and ran off. She didn't know why, but when she turned around her Husky was there and scared the guy off. She said she never showed any aggression before and loved everyone, but managed to scare the guy off.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 3:03 pm

I walk Kale a lot at night. Usually sketchy people go to the other side of the street just because he looks "dangerous". There have been a few times that we were walking by weird teenage boys that were creepy, Kale's hackles were up and he was on high alert, but never any barking. I'm sure if those guys would have walked towards me he would have protected me; I'm sure he was sensing something "off" about them, and/or sensing my uneasiness about the situation.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 5:10 pm

The ONLY time that Mya has "protected me" was when I was walking her about 2 years ago and a car full of guys stopped and were trying to hit on me. I was ignoring them and the dude in the passengers side said "ohhh mean dog, grrrr" and she DID NOT like that. Hackles went up and she barred teeth at them. Needless to say, they drove off Razz Other than that she's never acted protective in anyway. Kody is just a big friendly goof ball. LOL! I'm sure that if they ever sensed I was in trouble they would try to help me. They're very smart and love their mommy!
Back to top Go down
Flhuskylover
Puppy
Puppy
Flhuskylover

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:12 pm

I have had Eshe since he was a pup and he's now 8 going on 9. He is my 2nd husky and out of having 3 huskies, he has protected me a few times already. Normally when we walk, his looks alone are enough of a deterrent. If I'm home alone he prefers to sit right by me and if people enters the house and he has never met them he is wary of them coming too close to me unless I greet them first then he relaxes. There was an instance when I was walking alone at night and a man was following us with his hood covering his face. Normally, Eshe walks in front of me but that evening, he walked beside me or behind me keeping an eye on the man and at one point he stopped walking and growled continuously till the man went to the opposite sidewalk and walked farther ahead of us. Now if there were no humans home and someone broke in, I'm pretty sure my dogs, Eshe included would stop a thief. He would probably lick them to death instead or beg for food. Razz
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:52 pm

ha! we shall see as they get older! For now, Neptune hates when other dogs come to say hi to me!

When we are at the dog park...if he sees another dog come over to me, he beelines for me and barks them off. lol!

He is a Mommy's boy!!
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
Jo
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 10:53 pm

I think its to our advantage that most people are not very educated when it comes to Huskies. Everyone one we meet is intimidated by their intense stare. I don't know if ours would protect us. We were just discussing it the other day. I think their instincts would pick up a vibe, they protect each other, so why not us. I jokingly said to my daughter, "well we have four, they jump on everyone, so at least they would knock or stumble someone, so we could get away." A good stalling method. hahaha
JO
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 2:19 am

Last night was the first night my son came home after we went to bed with Aspen in the house and she woke me out of a dead sleep cause she heard him coming into the house. It's nice to know she will alert me if someone where breaking into my house.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 2:58 am

Appa has "bad guy" radar. He will be the most friendly pup in the world, but if he senses something "off" about someone he goes into high-alert mode. On hikes or around town there have been a few people that he just does not like, and he lets them know it. It's normally "hoodlums" and druggies that he goes nuts over. We were on a hike and out of nowhere Appa's hackles went sky-high down his whole back and he started barking and growling at nothing behind us. A few short seconds later a group of drug-using 20-somethings came rounding the corner. Appa stood his ground and wouldn't let up. The kids skirted past us with many a glances at the vicious beast that would not stop. After they were well past us he went right back to our friendly dog and greeted other people like he always does. Ears back, and ready for love.

Another time on a sunday morning we were upstairs getting ready for church and suddenly Appa JUMPED up, started huffing and puffing then flew down the two flights of stairs barking away. I followed, naturally, to see what got him so upset. As I looked down the stairs I saw the back of a person running out our front door with Appa not far behind. Appa just stared through our glass door and barked at the guy cruising down the sidewalk at this point. Hard to explain, but understandable, the guy thought our house was a model home and just wanted to look through it. SURPRISE! 75lb dog comes flying at him. Hilarious.

With that said, I still don't count on him to ever protect us, but I think he would.
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 9:29 am

lol!

A model home!!!! Hahaha! Omgoodness I wouldn've crapped myself! Go Appa!
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 9:55 am

Braiden has always growled and barked at people when they approach our house. He learned it from Max our pit mix. Skyla joins in. It sounds like such a vicious pack. It's all bluff. When people talk to them tails start wagging. I am glad that they sound the alarm. Too many people wandering the beach, and there are lots of breakins on the peninsula. I luvs my "guard" dogs. lol
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 7:21 pm

i would go that far to say if the bond is strong enough every dog would try to protect his owner. I´m sure Anubis would do when it really comes to danger, but don´t want to find out Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
cherbear
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 12:38 am

My boy Max wouldn't do a thing. But my girl Enkei would. My next door neighbor had friends over and Enkei didn't like one of them at all. I took her outside and was barking and growling at the guy. Her hackles was up and everything. Whereever that guy walked she was staring and following. I could feel the growls thru the leash. That was the first time she has ever acted that way and she will do this whenever that one guy is at my neighbors house.
Back to top Go down
4BangenRange
Puppy
Puppy
4BangenRange

Male Join date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 1:53 am

Josie is protective a little bit. Shes really protective over Hailey my other dog alot. Last year when those 2 dogs kept causeing trouble. The one time when it happend the yellow lab was creeping up to Hailey and the husky had Josie distracted. When Josie seen the yellow lab creep towards Hailey thats when she went at that dog as the husky went at Josie so had a 2 vs 1. Josie walkd away with a small wound. And the cop told us that the other 2 dogs were all tore up in there face area. Walking Josie once around a small zoo/ park close to me once. Seen a bear statue. Man never heard her growl so loud in my life, hair standing up head to tail and nice pearly whites just a shineing lol. Made everyone within a 40 foot radius stop and look at me lol. She also dosent like smokers at all. Shell either bark like crazy or want nuthing to do with them. Also at night if she hears or smells something she will pace the house for about 10-15 minutes walking back and forth. But if someone was breaking into the house they would never know she was there. Youd hear lil mis hailey barking up a storm but once you open the door there will be Josie standing right in the door way lol.
Back to top Go down
muska
Puppy
Puppy
muska

Male Join date : 2011-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:06 am

yeah when i researched Sibes before getting one read about the "poor watchdog" thing to but thiago goes nuts when someone enters the property and when they get to the door he jumps against it barking. pounces on other dogs when he sees any running up2 me lol but the worst is when i have him in the car while im going through drive through to get a feed. Thiago growls when the person lens over to hand me my meal.
Back to top Go down
Psammacora
Newborn
Newborn
Psammacora

Male Join date : 2012-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 am

The only time kirk has tried to protect me is at a new years party last year. I was playing with all the kids, two of them were wrapped around my feet and one was wrapped around my neck. Kirk decided he needed to step in. He never actually attacked the children (thank goodness), but he did prance around and bark alot.

Besides that he does get very jealous and will usually jump on any dog or person that he thinks is getting more attention than him.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 11:07 am

Libby is very protective of me, She bares teeth and her hair stands up on her back if she think I am in danger or may be hurt.
Lucy barks a lot and wants to copy Libby but she is scared of men yet.
I have had strangers come to the door and I cant even crack the door open because Libby would probably launch out. Thank God for screen doors. LOL
Even when me and friends are goofing around and they hit my arm she goes crazy. She has never tried to bite or hurt someone but she goes in between us to protect me.
I feel very safe to say that if someone is dumb enough to try and break into my house, after hearing the barks from them, They will be hurt by one of them.
Living alone with just them, they hear and know the neighbors cars, and if a strange car even goes past they are up and barking. Sometimes it can get annoying, but they feel it is their job Smile
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Neo will lick strangers to death. He is violent too. I'm Lucky people are scared just because they think hes part wolf and leave me alone. ( yes people around here are idiots)
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 5:23 pm

I have to hold Kale back when the UPS guy comes cause Kale wants to jump at his face and give him kisses LOL Thankfully the guy isn't terrified of dogs and just laughs and asks how he's doing lol! His whole body wiggles when people come over to visit, he almost can't contain his excitement!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 1:19 am

If you break into our house or get in our yard she will be protective.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is your husky protective?   Is your husky protective? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is your husky protective?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next