It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

afraid of riding in the car/truck

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rouge1987
Newborn
Newborn
Rouge1987

afraid of riding in the car/truck Empty
PostSubject: afraid of riding in the car/truck   afraid of riding in the car/truck EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 12:57 am

So my husky is 4 months old and HATES to ride in the car/truck to the point where she will try to run and hide. I'm training her to be my service dog. I've tried giving her treats and being patcient but sometimes when ya gotta be somewhere I just pick her up. She doesn't cry in the car and i swear I don't drive like a maniac. She was close enough to the window tonight to roll it down a ways she stuck her head out but she still was very happy when the ride was over. I try to pet her and reassure her that things are okay in the car, has anyone else had this problem? I don't think she has had a bad experience but boy she acts like one. Its riding in the car completly NOT just getting in???
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: afraid of riding in the car/truck   afraid of riding in the car/truck EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:24 am

The only suggestion I have is to hang out in the car w/o it running with Rogue to build up a positive meaning for the car, I have never seen a dog not like a car so I am using the positive tricks from things like crate training.

good luck
Back to top Go down
Rouge1987
Newborn
Newborn
Rouge1987

PostSubject: Re: afraid of riding in the car/truck   afraid of riding in the car/truck EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:43 am

Sounds good considering an overnight campout Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: afraid of riding in the car/truck   afraid of riding in the car/truck EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:54 am

Treats in the glove box as well Smile we have no issues getting in the car its the crying while driving I can't stop! Look up jacks videos Smile

Also short trips around the block or rides to a dog park or the pet store, fun things she likes to do not just driving around with u, make her know something good will come out of the trip. Just like crate training but in a car.

Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: afraid of riding in the car/truck   afraid of riding in the car/truck EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 2:27 am

Neo was raised in the cab of an 18 wheeler so I have never had tat issue. Just sit in the.car for fun. Hide treats for her to find. Make it a game. Play with her toys in the car. Dont make it always going to have to work when going for a car ride . Take her to fun places. Neo acts crazy in the car, I cant get the.door open fast enough because he knows most of the time hes either going to the park or Petsmart. His two favorite places.
Back to top Go down
Rouge1987
Newborn
Newborn
Rouge1987

PostSubject: Re: afraid of riding in the car/truck   afraid of riding in the car/truck EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 2:35 am

Shes not up to date on her shots the breeder I got her from wasn't on top of things if that makes sense so I just gave her the kennel cough and 2nd shot so I'm worried if I set her down she will pick something up ya know?

I lost my first puppy a short bit ago from a genetic impairment but I'm still so worried about loosing her its not funny Sad

The other problem is I try to give her treats and she refuses... hmm sounds like i need to sweeten the deal? She's not big into toys either...
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: afraid of riding in the car/truck   afraid of riding in the car/truck EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 9:09 am

I take Blaze everywhere we have been going since the day after I got him he was 9 months old at the time. I agree with everyone elses suggestions. Take her to a nature park or basic park for a long walk. Where you probably will not encounter other dogs to protect her.

My daughters dog used to get car sick everytime he when for a ride in the car for even 5 minutes. He seems to have gotten over it now that he is older. iHe is an aussie.
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: afraid of riding in the car/truck   afraid of riding in the car/truck EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:40 am

Give her a while to settle in then try again with treats and toys. What kind of treats are you giving her? Neo wont eat junk like canine carry out and stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
Rouge1987
Newborn
Newborn
Rouge1987

PostSubject: Re: afraid of riding in the car/truck   afraid of riding in the car/truck EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:46 am

The dried chicken and she loves milkbones. Shes on taste of the wild now the old owners had her on beneful.... or whatever that stuff is. I tried to slowly switch the food over but she still got the runs. Kennel training is also difficult as she isnt food motivated enough to want to go in and eat it. I wonder if she is claustrophobic lol
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: afraid of riding in the car/truck   afraid of riding in the car/truck EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:50 am

How long have you had Rogue?
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: afraid of riding in the car/truck   afraid of riding in the car/truck EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:54 am

Hayden HATED the car!!! The first day we brought him home was a 2 hour disaster!! He LOVES the car now! What I did was force him to ride in the car lol and he hated every minute of it!! I would take him anywhere and everywhere I went for like a month straight. If I went somewhere that he couldn't go in, I made my sister come with me and wait in the car with him. He would jump everywhere, cry/scream/howl, hide, go from back seat to front seat, would make circles around my car and even would jump behind me and wrap himself like a scarf around me! He was a total NUT! I would keep him on leash, sit him or make him lay in the front seat and any time he made a move I'd make him sit and tell him "OFF!" and he eventually learned to calm his crazy butt down and now he jump's in the car and loves going on rides! Biggest part now is keeping him from jumping out the window! He has tried several times to do the Marley & Me car scene lol. I tell everyone he's the Marley of Huskies! If none of this work's, they always make a doggie seat belt and you can try that out! I also gave lots of yummy treats too! Smile
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: afraid of riding in the car/truck   afraid of riding in the car/truck EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 pm

When Dante was a puppy he wasn't too crazy about getting in the car either. What we did was take him out leashed, I opened the door and sat on the backseat with my feet out of the car and just sat there with the car off and the door open. At first he would pull backwards on the leash as hard as he could, but after we sat there for a while, he started to relax. When he would come closer, or come up to the car, we would treat him. we did this off and on throughout the week. then we worked on getting him to jump in with the car off. we would use squeaky toys or treats, and scoot back farther into the back seat and call him/ squeak the toys. Once he mastered that, we started the whole thing over again with the car running. Once we suceeded getting him into the car with it running, we would take him to his favorite place,Petsmart, or, the lake so that he would associate good things with the car. It was a process, and took a little time. but it worked like a charm. Now, as soon as the back door opens and we tell him "up" he is in with no problem.
Back to top Go down
Rouge1987
Newborn
Newborn
Rouge1987

PostSubject: Re: afraid of riding in the car/truck   afraid of riding in the car/truck EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:51 am

I have found her weakness ... Milkbones.... I've had her for about 3 days shes actually responding to treats in the truck which is nice and she's less jumpy. Still more happy to get out than in. I think the previous owners didn't take her out much Smile we can correct this Smile A doggie seatbelt is really at the top of my list with my anxiety and especially after loosing my last pup I'm a little cautious with this gal, I'm sure it will wear off soon though Smile I will try the coaxing plan and if I have to force her at least have a surprise in the truck for her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: afraid of riding in the car/truck   afraid of riding in the car/truck Empty

Back to top Go down

afraid of riding in the car/truck

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1