It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. Empty
PostSubject: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:11 am

Bella tears up EVERY toy I give her, but she adores squeakers. We got the little dragon from pet smart (supposedly tough). She ripped that up in mere minutes. I got her a rope toy that she really liked with squeakers in the end. She's busted all of the squeakers. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 6:54 am

I have yet to find a squeaker toy that will hold up to a Husky. In fact I don't think I've seen one last more then 15 minutes once they determine they can remove the squeaker.
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 8:43 am

Keimo doesn't tear them up, strangly enough. He did when he was a puppy, but now he just loves on them. He's weird. lol. Bella loves them, but kills them.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 10:30 am

Here4thePics wrote:
I have yet to find a squeaker toy that will hold up to a Husky. In fact I don't think I've seen one last more then 15 minutes once they determine they can remove the squeaker.

Ditto.

My son calls 2-liter soda bottles, "$1.00 dog toys with free soda in them". We give Sabaka the empty bottles, he bats them around and then flattens them in a few minutes, but it was fun and free(ish).

The stuffing-less animals last a while. First he obsessively remove the squeaker and "kills" it. Then the toy is not as fun but still great for tossing high and letting him catch it. It also poses as a tug toy, but quickly rips (but ripping is also fun for huskies).

"Virtually industructable" lasts maybe 20 minutes. We have family bets... the last toy was nylon and heavily stitched. The time to "de-squeak" was 22 minutes...
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 11:42 am

[quote="SabakaMom"]
Here4thePics wrote:
"Virtually industructable" lasts maybe 20 minutes. We have family bets... the last toy was nylon and heavily stitched. The time to "de-squeak" was 22 minutes...

That's hilarious... I might have to steal that one. At least the betting part would be fun! (It's sure not fun watching money go down the drain as she "kills" every toy.)

So, other than a squeaker then, what would you all recommend? She's kinda meek unless she gets a toy, so I wanna liven her up a bit. (I think she had a rough life before she came to me.)
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 11:50 am

Keimo&Izzi wrote:
Bella tears up EVERY toy I give her, but she adores squeakers. We got the little dragon from pet smart (supposedly tough). She ripped that up in mere minutes. I got her a rope toy that she really liked with squeakers in the end. She's busted all of the squeakers. Any ideas?

Yep, same here. Meredith sent us the adorable dragons for the secret santa exchange and they're both dead. Totally dead. LOL! Nothing with squeakers really holds up with huskies to be honest. At least not mine. I get them the Kong Wubbas (they hold up for a while) and the kong squeaky airballs with the string. The squeaky tennis ball without the string lasts a few days, but this one seems to hold up for some reason.

http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Squeakair-Tennis-Medium-Yellow/dp/B002GJXSQ6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1326466139&sr=8-6

Other than that they're not huge fans of ropes or rubber toys. They eat the stuffless toys too. I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. 1625187496
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 12:13 pm

Yeah, neither of mine really like ropes either. I've seen those Airball ones at PetSmart and thought about getting those. You just helped me make the decision! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Anything made from cloth does not stand a chance with Thor and Nero. They of course pull the squeakers out and everything else is ripped to shreds including tennis balls.

I did how ever find 2 toys made by JW Pet that they have not been able to destroy. They both squeak and are made out of rubber I think. Petsmart and Petco carry them.

They ball is Nero's favorite he carries it around squeaking it all the time.

http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2767084&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2767084&lmdn=Brand&f=PAD%2FBrands%2FJW+Pet&fbc=1&fbn=Brands|JW+Pet&fbx=0
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:41 pm

I love those toys! Indy does too...when the squeaker works lol. He ruined it by putting it in our pond. It's never squeaked since. The balls with the legs and horns are better than the actual balls IMO. Just tear the legs off.

They have a bunch of JW toys at PetCo. I haven't tried the balls that have the fur in the middle, they're mostly for puppies or smaller dogs.
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:45 pm

The other JW toy we have has little rubber ears on it. Thor tries his hardest to nibble them off I just laugh at him, he tries so hard.
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 5:22 pm

So which of those squeak? The only things she has played with so far are the things that squeak.
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 5:30 pm

I know the ball does and Ruffians Dog Toys does. The description on some of them say isqueak so I would say those do for sure.
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Hmmmm... a trip to PetSmart might be in order. :-) Thanks ya'll!
Back to top Go down
coltincl
Newborn
Newborn
coltincl

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 10:55 pm

I have found a new toy for chewers.
They use a Kevlar type material inside.
http://www.godogfun.com/chew-guard-technology
They also offer a free replacement simply by sending a photo, but I have not tried to replace any as it has lasted. No holes yet, no blown seams, and no chewing out the squeakers. We bought a reindeer that looks a bit wooly. Only the head has stuffing, the rest was flat with squeakers. All of her other toys were full of holes, or had dead squeakers withing hours of having them. This Chew Guard is still going, well past Christmas.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 12:12 am

coltincl wrote:
I have found a new toy for chewers.
They use a Kevlar type material inside.
http://www.godogfun.com/chew-guard-technology
They also offer a free replacement simply by sending a photo, but I have not tried to replace any as it has lasted. No holes yet, no blown seams, and no chewing out the squeakers. We bought a reindeer that looks a bit wooly. Only the head has stuffing, the rest was flat with squeakers. All of her other toys were full of holes, or had dead squeakers withing hours of having them. This Chew Guard is still going, well past Christmas.

You should introduce yourself and your pups in the welcome mat so we know who you are Very Happy (most of us have the dragon toys)
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Wolfbandit
Puppy
Puppy
Wolfbandit

Female Join date : 2012-10-16

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 1:54 am

My favorite toy section to shop in is the clearance section.

I'll second the stuffingless toys. Steele isn't so bad with tearing toys, but Jenna is a monster. The squeakers come out kinda fast, but they play tug-o-war with the scraps usually for a couple weeks. Jenna usually just gets the .95 toys from the clearance area, since, you know, it's just going to be destroyed anyways.

Also I recommend kongs. I've kinda come to terms with the fact that nothing lasts with a husky though <<
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 4:23 am

Soshanna and her biological brother, Blewett, have, and will destroy every toy they are given, including the black kong, and my old tire from my pickup truck.

This little bastard has lasted the longest, for me. It takes them a few months to render it garbage.

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/796664/west-paw-bumi-dog-toy-large

I got a new one today, out of shear American impulsive-addictive shopping habits..
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 4:24 am

I only use Nylabones and Kongs. Ares's favorite right now is the Puppy Sqeauky Kong, it's a huge hit!
http://www.amazon.com/Puppy-Kong-Rubber-Squeaker-Chewing/dp/B0023UHQ7A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359181352&sr=8-2&keywords=kong+squeak
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 4:32 am

My favorite brands are JW, Kong, and West Paw Design. While 90% of toys won't last long.. it's just too hard not to waste my money on toys for my babies Smile. My girls love almost all West Paw toys I have bought; the squeaky Kong tennis ball, and the JW squeaker toys (with the little feet). With the JW toys, I cut off the feet and horns so they don't try to eat them.

*Edit- Also Planet Dog is a really excellent brand too! I like brands that are eco friendly Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 4:36 am

I got steve a great tough toy, I got him Sophie. I haven't had too much experience here with my pack and toys, they just get antlers and cow hoofs because thats what they like.
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Another vote for the nylabone. Bella has a chicken flavored one that she will go after over all other toys save a ball. I've seen her leave marrow bones for the nyla bone. I've had it for probably six months and although you need to wash it occasionally it doesn't really look much worse for wear.
Bella plays with stuffed toys till she decides they need to die and then that's it they are done, stuffing everywhere and she's actually learned to remove the squeeker from the Kong air balls without otherwise damaging the ball. I don't know how she does it but she does everytime.
Back to top Go down
DantesMum
Newborn
Newborn
DantesMum

Female Join date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 6:23 am

Hi There!

Dante's most durable toys thus far are:

West Paw Designs, I have one of each of these designs and are still in perfect shape since when I got them for him a year ago. They are not his favorite tho they are the most long lasting.
http://www.westpawdesign.com/articles/pet-care-products/buyers-guide-your-pets-well-being/what-zogoflex-and-how-does-guarantee-wo

Kongs he has never destroyed a classic Kong the red ones. He loves to eat his meals out of the Kong instead or peanut butter or treats from them.

Antlers are also a favorite and are very long lasting though more expensive than rawhides, or normal bones.

Although, anything that is plush/squeaky is his FAVORITE toy. Hands down, which I think you have noticed is yours favorite too. I honestly go to a store called Home Goods its usually connected to a TJ Maxx in my area and go to the pet section and buy about 10-20 toys at pretty much clearance price and disperse them and replace the chewed up/destroyed toys as they get demolished.

Out of the brands I have encountered so far that have lasted more than a month:
The Tuffyz T-Rex, which Dante LOOOOOVVVEDDD lasted about 6-7 months. He would cuddle with it, and wrestle with it, and chew it, and paw it and well you get the picture it was a slow death for Rex, first his tail came off I sewed him together again, then his limbs one by one and I sewed him back together eventually he ripped the head off and all the stuffing tho it lasted quite awhile. It is pretty expensive but it a larger size plush toy. You can make it last by removing the toy when getting pretty baddly destroyed and sewing it back together with furniture thread which you can buy for like $2 a spool.

http://www.petbest.com/autoship/products/DogToy/Tuffys-Dinosaurs-T-Rex-Dog-Toy/180181020223

This is a brand I stumbled upon recently Pet Rageous:
He also has a few other reflective toys that are stuffed with squeakers that I cannot seem to find on their website, must be older models, but those are built very sturdy as well and are holding up!

http://www.petrageousdesigns.com/category.php?cat=9

The tough ones I mentioned are available online at Petsmart: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15241796&lmdn=Price&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15241816&lmdn=Price&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

HuggleHounds have rocked! Dante is in love with the skunk one!
http://www.activedogsupplies.com/001141.html?gclid=CJK3rPXNirUCFa5DMgodLkMA-w

I go through a lot of toys so hopefully some of these help!
Smile

-Brittney & Dante
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:44 pm

[quote="SabakaMom"]
Here4thePics wrote:

"Ditto.

My son calls 2-liter soda bottles, "$1.00 dog toys with free soda in them". We give Sabaka the empty bottles, he bats them around and then flattens them in a few minutes, but it was fun and free(ish). "

HAHA we used to give the water bottles to our lab when she was a puppy, she loved them, we called them her redneck dog toys lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.   I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy. Empty

Back to top Go down

I need a recommendation for a TOUGH toy.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1