It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Refusing to walk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

Refusing to walk Empty
PostSubject: Refusing to walk   Refusing to walk EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:42 pm

Seriously...WTF?!?!

This morning I took Frankie out for some walky dogging like we do several times a week. We got off to a good start then all of sudden I feel the bike slowing down and being pulled to a stop. I turn around and Frankie plopped his a$$ down and faced the other direction as to say I'm going home. I realized that we were close to the golf course and some golfers were teeing off. The sound of the club hitting the ball scares him sometimes, but never this bad. He refused to keep going. So I do what I always do when he gets a bug up his butt. I unkook the bike attachement and walk back and forth by the golf course until he realizes there is nothing to worry about. There was a lot of resistance on his part and this took a lot longer than I expected it to, but we did it and continued to ride along even though he was running alot faster the closer we got to home.

Now this evening I took him for a walk, just like every evening and the same way we always go. This time we didn't even make it to the golf course before he started to stop and pull the other way. When he realized I wasn't turning to go back home, he plopped down and refused to move. Every time I tried to move forward it was like I was dragging him. There was NOTHING there. No people, no dogs, no golfers. I had no idea what he was so afraid of and since there was nothing to be afraid of I had to insist he move on to where we always walk. It took me 15 minutes to get him moving again and even then we walked back and forth until he calmed down. The people driving by were hysterical laughing at this dog refusing to walk.

Some days my boys just drive me crazy. We shall see what tomorrow brings
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Refusing to walk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Refusing to walk   Refusing to walk EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:48 pm

I wonder if he could be picking up on something 'wrong' if this is totally out of character for him. confused

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Refusing to walk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Refusing to walk   Refusing to walk EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:50 pm

That's strange! There are days I wish Willow would refuse to walk. Smile
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Refusing to walk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Refusing to walk   Refusing to walk EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:58 pm

Dee, I totally feel you! Kody does this too! So weird. He does it when we get to a certain spot that he knows that we're about to turn around to go home (at least I think that's why). Plops his ass down and refuses to walk. I have to get Mya to come near him and then start squealing like an idiot "c'mon chichi...run run run" and then he just walks very slowly while staring up at me. Does this for about 5-10min EVERY TIME and then he's back to his normal strut.

He also does this randomly while walking dogging too! He just comes to a complete stop (I've almost killed myself a few times because of this) and turns the other way. Refuses to move. I have to do the same as you, take him off of the attachment, and walk around for a while. Then he goes back like it's ok. My recent discovery is that if hubby comes on the ride with us on his bike Kody RUNS! LIKE RUNS!!! Going forward hubby must come with us..lol.

I'm sorry Frankie is acting up though. Very weird that he just started doing this scratch
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Refusing to walk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Refusing to walk   Refusing to walk EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 10:29 pm

He used to do this when I first got him and it kinda of scared me becaused I lived in a bad neighborhood. When he did it then I would make him walk about 10 steps and turn and go back home. I took it as a cue since there were always sketchy people walking around there, drug dealers and stuff.

He didn't really do it for a long time up until this past July 4th. The fireworks were going for days around here and he panicked with them. Thunder would make him crouch a little after that but he got over it and kept walking. Since then, he hasn't really done it. The funny part is that he is trying to run back home, lol, not avoiding going home Rolling Eyes

Today was just weird and he has been a little weird since yesterday. I'm gonna keep an eye on him for the next few days. But he better straghten up because he is scheduled to visit the nursing home on Thursday with a group of 5th graders who are doing a report on therapy dogs. He was great there last week, but yesterday he really wasn't interested. Like I said he was a little off.

Maybe it's something in the atmosphere. My son is a little off today too. And I'm about to fly off between the two of them. Mad
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Refusing to walk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Refusing to walk   Refusing to walk EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Dee&Frankie wrote:

Maybe it's something in the atmosphere. My son is a little off today too. And I'm about to fly off between the two of them. Mad

Yep, definitely the atmosphere! Mercury is retrograde! You have no idea what I'm talking about huh? Razz Let me find what I posted in regards to Mindy having issues finding a doggie (before Piper). This was about 2 weeks ago I believe. Astrology...it works dude!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Refusing to walk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Refusing to walk   Refusing to walk EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 10:42 pm

Ok here it is....

"Don't call me crazy, but I'm very into
astrology. Well, I should say that my mom is VERY into it and I just
completely believe in it. I grew up with it. So anyways, Mercury (the
planet of communication) is now retrograde. Which means it's orbiting
backwards instead of forward. This happens a few times a year and lasts
about 2-3 weeks. During this time EVERYTHING goes wrong!!
Miscommunications, electronics breaking, tension, fights, out of the norm issues etc, etc. I broke my work phone, hubby
broke his phone, the accident, Mya and Kody fighting, Thanksgiving was a
bit of a hassle, etc. It's just not a good time and you need to very
cautious with everything. They are minor to big inconveniences ALL
AROUND"
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Refusing to walk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Refusing to walk   Refusing to walk EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 10:51 pm

Not crazy at all. I totally believe in it. I knew something had to be going on.
I need to consult with you next time before I schedule Frankie for any events to make sure the universe is in our favor. Wink I just hope it's over soon.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Refusing to walk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Refusing to walk   Refusing to walk EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 10:55 pm

tongue It's over December 14th, but we'll still the effects a few days after that. Thank god it's over right before Christmas!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Refusing to walk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Refusing to walk   Refusing to walk EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 11:43 pm

Wow I love hearing that others believe in Astrology! It's not something I usually talk about Smile I hope Frankie gets back to normal soon!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Sponsored content

Refusing to walk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Refusing to walk   Refusing to walk Empty

Back to top Go down

Refusing to walk

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1