It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LiamShannon
Newborn
Newborn
LiamShannon

Male Join date : 2011-09-26

7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw? Empty
PostSubject: 7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw?   7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 2:18 pm

Basically the title explains it, hes only 15 KG and he wont eat his dry food or canned food so can anyone explain to me about raw and anything I should know. Or anyways i can get him eating his normal food.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw?   7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 2:30 pm

could you share with us the brand and meat source of the food you have been trying? are you feeding to many treats during the day that he is getting full and not wanting his meal?
there is a lot that goes into feeding raw to make sure your put is getting all it needs.

Newborn
Newborn
LiamShannon

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw?   7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 3:12 pm

I've fed him Science Hills plan puppy, Barking head dog days puppy and Arden Grange puppy. At first he wouldnt eat it at all so we added Morrisions Tinned puppy food with it and he started eating it then alot say 3 bowls a day but now he wont eat anything with or without the dry dog food. Sometimes he has some treats but not we are stopping that and we will see if he eats it now, he just turns his nose up to dry food even if he is really hungry.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw?   7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 3:20 pm

since your in the UK i don't know the the brands your feeding and what grade they are.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
i could not find any of them on this site but try giving a look at the 5-6 star rated foods and compare them to what you are feeding. what is the main protein in the ones your feeding, he might just not like, chicken, beef, fish, what ever it is thats in it.
huskies are picky eaters and it might take a few trys, make sure the place you buy the food will take it back if he does not like it.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw?   7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 3:28 pm

How long have you had him? I would strongly discourage switching foods purely because a dog stops eating it. Picky eaters are created, not born. Switching foods very frequently, especially every time the dog decides to stop eating is a common theme amongst owners of picky dogs. When they figure out that not eating when they get bored of a food will get you to feed them something different they will absolutely use that against you. They're not stupid. I'm not saying this is the case with your dog per se, but something to consider. It's the main reason I don't recommend switching foods when they start turning up their nose at it. Now this is assuming that they are perfectly healthy. If he's not eating his normal food then I would stop all treats.

Sick dogs can also go off their food, have you ruled out any possible illness, parasites, stomach upset, etc with your vet? Is his energy level, drinking, and stool normal?

Can you give us an idea how how long this has been going on and how much he's been eating the past few days?

I absolutely am pro-raw feeding, however it's not something to take lightly. I do believe it's the best possible diet for our canine companions but it does require some research up front. There is a right way and a wrong way to go about raw and we want to see you and your dog succeed.

Here's a really good thread on getting started with raw feeding that can help you learn more about raw feeding and also help you decide if it's something you wish to try with your pup:
Considering a raw diet?

I think it's wonderful that you'd like to learn more about raw feeding. I just hope that if you decide it's something you wish to start that you do it because you want to, know what the pros and cons are, and will commit to do it right rather than just turning to another diet to get your dog to eat.

Newborn
Newborn
LiamShannon

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw?   7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks huskyluv very helpful I think he may just be picky and I am giving up to easy Ill stick with one of his brands of dry food, hes definitely healthy and his energy levels are normal hes just being picky!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw?   7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 3:48 pm

It's hard to watch them go hungry I know, but a little tough love may be just what the doctor ordered. If you do switch foods, under normal circumstances I would recommend waiting until he's eating what you're currently feeding so he doesn't think that holding out will equal new food. A healthy dog will not starve itself so I'd see if you can't win the battle of wills going on right now. I know one of my dogs has gone 3 days without eating (even though she was offered food 3 times a day) before she finally caved. I love my dogs dearly, but they all learn very early on that if they don't eat what they're given within 20 minutes they don't eat and will go hungry until their next scheduled feeding. You won't find a picky dog at my house for sure! Laughing

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw?   7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw? Empty

Back to top Go down

7 month old wont eat his food dry or canned so im considering switching him to raw?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1