It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Beautiful Huskies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
yukonblue
Newborn
Newborn
yukonblue

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 10:49 am

I told me husband that he needed to look at the pictures of all the beautiful huskies at this board. I told him that these people paid a lot of money for their beautiful huskies. I think Yukon is pretty, but she is not up to the standards of the huskies that I see here.

After Kodiak passed away (we bury all our pet in our pet cemetery facing home) I think getting over Kodiak passing is that I forgot to bend her legs when she passed, so her grave had to be as deep and long as she was. She laid on the kitchen floor for 8hrs while my husband kept measuring her, he said that we would not break her legs to dig a smaller grave, she was covered but I kept going look at her body. Sad

Anyway when I could bring myself to look for another husky I went on the internet and the price for a husky started at $1500 and up and we didn't have that kind of money. I only paid $600 for Yukon and I see the difference in your huskies.

I enjoy looking at your BEAUTIFUL huskies, that I know you have the best in the breed.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:52 am

Kale is from a BYB, and was VERY sick when I got him. I only paid $460, and that was A LOT! I had to save him though, I didn't care how much it cost. Actually, a lot of the Sibes here are rescues or from BYB.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
yukonblue
Newborn
Newborn
yukonblue

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 12:10 pm

I guess that you could say that Juneau my first husky was a rescue. My vet called me because the breeder brought her there as a puppy because she could not sell her and wanted her put down. The reason was because she was caught between a red and grey color. I took the puppy and of course as I have said named her Juneau. She turned into the most beautiful grey husky, and yes she had her red periods but she was a beautiful husky. I can never understand how people can be so cold hearted to want to put a puppy to sleep because they could not sell it. Anyway I was the lucky one and got hooked on huskies, because of Juneau.
Back to top Go down

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 1:11 pm

Yukon is just as gorgeous as any other husky here. However, 1,500 for a good quality purebred sibe is REALLY pricey unless it has some crazy rare original championship oo la la lines. Curious to see where you saw a dog that pricey at, do you have a breeder website for there?

What I've found is a (from a good breeder) pet husky with limited registration are usually 750-900, and show quality huskies that come with full registration and should hit all the standards go from 900-1,200ish. Looking at breeders I'll be honest and say I look within those price ranges because usually the 750-900 (since I don't need full reg) is reimbursing them for all care over the 8-12 weeks they had the puppies, plus care for the mama- it adds up to be pricey and they usually make only a TINY profit from the puppy's sale if they even make a profit at all. Dogs for low prices like $300 or $400 make me uneasy as I just don't see how you could have been giving them all adequate care for that price.

But I do believe probably 80% of this forum are people who rescued their dogs and a lot of others got their first husky cheaper from a BYB before learning what a BYB really was.. so you probably paid more than most people on here for your husky.

Back to top Go down
yukonblue
Newborn
Newborn
yukonblue

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 2:12 pm

I just goggled husky breeders, and I got lots of high price huskies. I got Juneau free, because she was suppost to be put to sleep because the breeder couldn't sell her. Kodiak cost me $200 about 10yrs later. The lady that I found in the paper, is working to make the breed as pure as she can, she has a lot of huskies, and I made a mistake I paid $500 for Yukon, but I wanted a husky so bad. I tried to get her to come down in the price, she had a litter of four and I bought the only one in that litter, she kept the rest. I called her recently and her prices are even higher now, I told her that if she got a husky that just needed a home, to keep me in mind, because I always have room for one more. If they are fixed they serve no purpose for her, so I am willing to give another one a home. I did adopt a husky from the shelter years ago, and it had heartworms and it didn't survive the treatments. This was the second dog that I had treated for heartworms, the other a stray in my yard did survive the treatments.

I called the no kill shelter, my vet was on the look out for one and no luck in getting one that nobody wanted anymore. I got no papers on Juneau, I got papers on Kodiak and Yukon but I never reg. with AKC, that is not what is important to me, I have never reg. a dog that I got paper on.

I live in the country and people just drop off their dogs and if one shows up in my yard, I fed it and it has a home, we had 8 dogs at one time, not all in the house. We built a dog run which Katrina took down. I only take dogs that I'm sure I can afford the vet bills and give them the best care I can.
Back to top Go down
yukonblue
Newborn
Newborn
yukonblue

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 2:28 pm

By the way I use to do volunteer work at the shelter, but after you see so many dogs brought in that people have abused I could not take it anymore. They did have a red husky that I wanted to adopt, but it was seized in a drug raid and had to be held by the shelter as property from the raid. The police dept wanted the dog put down, I don't know why because it was a gentle husky and than I had to stop doing volunteer work. I had bonded with that husky and was very upset.
I do visit my vet who I have know since he was a puppy (over 30yrs) and I go and ask which dogs are just dropped off by their owners and never get a visit and I go and sit in their cage to give them some human attention.
I don't want to come off like a goody two shoes, but I just love animals and try to do the little that I can do to make a little difference in an animals life. They are just pure love and ask so little from us.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Our guy was a rescue. He's not a husky though, he's a Mal. We got him for $200. He's the best looking pup I've ever seen. We can't take him anywhere without people stopping to compliment us. (and by stopping I mean people in cars stop in the middle of the road, workers running out of their stores, ladies interrupting their dinner party, crossing guards halting traffic etc. etc. etc.)
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 3:12 pm

i got my husky from an ad on craigslist. her rehoming fee was $60. Smile she doesn't have any papers but that makes no difference to me. she's been the healthiest dog me or my family has ever owned. she's very large for a standard female. i've never measured her but she weighs in at 60lbs for a female, and is of perfect weight. she gets mistaken for a malamute a LOT. funny yesterday someone said they thought she was small for a husky!! haha

Beautiful Huskies 25644_769737603192_68120999_42333167_4480117_n
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 3:26 pm

I'm a Craigslister also with Biko, rehomed for $100. Supposed to be papered but the owner seem to have lost the papers. Which means nothing to me, I got papers with Adobo(free) but never listed her with the AKC.

Biko
Beautiful Huskies Dscf0350a
By colddonkey at 2011-08-11

Adobo
Beautiful Huskies Dscf0336ie
By colddonkey at 2011-09-17
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 3:29 pm

i have to say biko has very cool facial markings Smile
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 4:10 pm

We got Siku from a BYB who I really really wish would stop breeding! She breeds tons of huskies with no care about the husky standard or much about health (Siku had worms terribly when I got her and could have died from it). She was $700.
Beautiful Huskies IMG_2808

Elara, on the other hand, came from a small show kennel. I love her breeder! Such a nice lady and we keep in touch all the time. Elara is on a show contract, so her breeder has been giving me advice on showing and grooming. She has only had the one litter in 3yrs which I like. She only breeds when she wants to add to her breeding program, not just to make money like so many BYB's and Siku's breeder. Her breeder shows all her dogs, gets their eyes and hips checked (CERF and OFA), and really puts thought into who she breeds to who to try and get the best temperment and structure prossible. We paid $1,000 for Elara, but I know there are a lot of other reputable show breeders who will sell their puppies for $500 to $600.
Beautiful Huskies IMG_2907
Beautiful Huskies IMG_2902

Beautiful Huskies Woowoosig

Last edited by SaraB on Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Price doesn't mean anything when buying a dog, a reputable breeder is everything.

I paid $250 for Embry, and $300 for Zoey. Zoey is papered, Embry isn't.

Beautiful Huskies 6063242114_dbdfd6239d_z
Embry and Zoey by Arctic Blue Huskies, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
yukonblue
Newborn
Newborn
yukonblue

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 4:35 pm

What beautiful pictures. I'm so glad to see another husky (snrose) with a husky with pink on the nose. Yukon has the same pink on her nose. Juneau and Kodiak were rather large female huskies, they did weigh around 80 pounds, Yukon (also a female) on the other hand is smaller in size around the 67lbs but she is the strongest husky that I have owned.
I did get pulled on my belly like a sled by both Juneau and Kodiak, I tried to hold on, but I would see them dig in those back legs and I knew I was going on a sled ride. Juneau fractured my shoulder, Kodiak broke my foot but it was not their fault, it was me trying to hold me dog back. If Juneau got away at night she was always at the back door after her little adventure, Kodiak we would have to get in the truck and car and go after our dog.

When I got Yukon (I had major back surgery when I had Kodiak, I have a plate in my back and screws) I decided that she would have to understand that I was the pack leader and not her. When I started walking her as a puppy and until she was at least a year old I would short leash her, to limit her area to walk, I made her always walk behind me, never in front if she got in front of me I would gentle tap her with my foot, stop and tell her to back up. She understands the word easy, and now I don't short leash her, she has full leash but she is never in front of me, in back or even with me. She has yet to dig those back legs in and take me on a sled ride I don't need at this age. I still wonder what part of my body she has plans to break. LOL I made her watch the movie Eight Below so she can learn what good huskies do. Smile
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 4:42 pm

My two are from BYB's....didn't know any better until I got more active in this forum. Dakota's BYB even showed her dogs so you would think she was reputable, but if you read the thread about reputable breeders she failed on alot of things listed. Supposedly Dakota has a Great grandfather that is even published but I never went out and bought the book she told me he was in. I just cared about having a good pet. He was only $275. I got willow out of a Ebayclassifieds ad for $300. I had just joined the forum before I got her but didn't read up on the reputable breeder thread yet. They definately do not pass as a reputable breeder. Nice people, but breeding for the wrong reasons. I'm hoping to rescue all future pups. I will still probably be getting BYB Sibes but it's rescuing and not paying a breeder to keep breeding.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 4:52 pm

When we started searching for a 2nd we ran across a few breeders online asking about $1,500 as well. I was like no way!!!

We paid $500 for Mya from a BYB and she came with ticks. My poor baby girl. She was so innocent and had those damn nasty bugs on her Sad

8 weeks when we brought her home
Beautiful Huskies Maya5-06pics0015-1

Now (5 1/2 yrs old)

Beautiful Huskies P7230481

We paid $700 for Kody even though we were only supposed to spend $500 at the most. When we saw that little face staring at us through the cage we knew that he was coming home with us! Unfortunately, we did get him from a pet store. I swore that I wouldn't because of the whole puppy mill deal, but we did a lot of searching on this particular pet store before we went to see him and we couldn't find anything negative about them.

Kody, 12 weeks old

Beautiful Huskies DSC02865

Now, 1 yr old Smile

Beautiful Huskies P8210527
Back to top Go down

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 5:43 pm

Oh goodness, that puppy pic of Mya I love you
Back to top Go down
yukonblue
Newborn
Newborn
yukonblue

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 6:38 pm

I just finished taking my bath and washing my hair with my friend Yukon. She loves to lick soap bubbles off of me. I going over and over in my head what in the world is BYB....Think that I got it does it mean Back Yard Breeder? Because that is the type of person that I bought Yukon from. DUH!

Also while talking to Yukon, I told her that Mom is on a husky board, and I think that your Mom is the oldest person there. She said that is ok, I still love you. bounce
She did ask me have you figured out the picture thing out yet, I told her to be quite. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Gary29
Newborn
Newborn
Gary29

Male Join date : 2011-07-22

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Yukon is an absolutely gorgeous puppy. Anyone would be proud to own her. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Yeah, BYB stands for backyard breeder, but it doesn't necessarily mean the person breeds their dogs in their backyard. It's just a catch all term for unreputable breeders. Ones that breed a female more often than every two years (some will breed every heat cycle which is damaging to the female), breeding before the male and female are 2yrs old, not doing tests like OFA's x-ray of hips and CERF's eye clinic, don't have a purpose for breeding like creating better racing dogs, showing dogs, or therapy dogs (only purpose is for money, they think puppies are cute, "Oh everyone wants one", want my kids to see the circle of life, etc.) and not breeding to better the breed.

So a nice family who gets a female and decides they want to breed it to keep a puppy, but doesn't research the breed standard, learn all the in's and out's of how to breed, doing all the proper tests before breeding, and having no purpose other than wanting another puppy and to make pets for other people would be considered a BYB. Also there are people who are borderline BYB/puppy mills like Siku's breeder. She has about 26 huskies and always seems to have 3+ litters on her website for sale all the time. She breeds the heck out of her dogs and it is unfortunate. She clearly does not put any thought into who she breeds to who and their genetic health (doesn't do OFA and CERF). She just cranks out puppies for the money.

BTW, CERF and OFA are so important to huskies because eye and hip problems are the biggest problems with huskies. Other breeds may have other tests that are just as important for their breed.

Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 8:58 pm

If you love your dog and they love you back, your dog is beautiful. Smile Money means nothing when your husky is giving you a hug!

Ours were $200 each from a rescue. Smile Best part of getting a rescue dog is being able to pick out the personality you want, because they're already grown!
Back to top Go down
Snowflake20
Puppy
Puppy
Snowflake20

Male Join date : 2011-08-16

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 10:35 pm

I also got Durbin from a BYB for 425. I really had no idea what they were tell I read this site. I think that Durbin is the best dog ever and I'm not disappointed one bit that he doesnt have papers or anything. The mom and dad both had papers but I didn't bother with it Very Happy

Beautiful Huskies X26y3q
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Durbin has such a regal face! I love you I bet he is a cuddle monster Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:10 pm

The thing is dogs from BYB's and puppy mills aren't bad dogs (they have a higher risk of health problems though). It's not the puppy's fault for being born, it's the breeder's fault for not breeding correctly. Don't think for one minute that I love Elara any more than Siku just because she came from a better breeder. I love them both sooo much. The main problem with BYB's is that they are the main contributor to pet over population and most don't make sure their puppies are going into good homes, so they end up in shelters.

Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:38 pm

My Neo was free! And cane with a bag of beneful! Lol
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
Oh goodness, that puppy pic of Mya I love you

Wasn't she just adorable? I'll never forget how I would carry her and she would cling to me for hours. She doesn't do that anymore Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Beautiful Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beautiful Huskies   Beautiful Huskies Empty

Back to top Go down

Beautiful Huskies

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next