It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

First Hiking Trip 10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

First Hiking Trip  10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER* - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Hiking Trip 10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER*   First Hiking Trip  10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER* - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:26 pm

Oh sorry about the horses, we would have turned around as well. And all I will say about ur card ride is have u see my jack videos with him in the car? affraid

Can u start with some local parks and trails? Maybe get him used to the "hiking" and walking?

S&J pull like mad and the leads I have With the bungee in them help to make the pull less on me.

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: First Hiking Trip 10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER*   First Hiking Trip  10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER* - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 12:21 am

Sorry it wasnt such a great experience. I noticed you picked up a palisades pack. Nice choice; yours looks so clean...

Appa walks like a champ... until we go hiking - then he's manageable. I think it's just too exciting for him to remember his manners. However, he has great trail ettiquit, he usually moves off to the side for on coming people. However, he hates anyone in front of him, I think we're spoiling the fresh smells. Hehe. Horses are a bad idea, they freak Appa out. He doesn't do well around them at all.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: First Hiking Trip 10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER*   First Hiking Trip  10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER* - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 3:09 am

Sorry to hear it didn't go well Sad When we go out on trails I always put them on a really long leash so that way they have more room to walk around..
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: First Hiking Trip 10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER*   First Hiking Trip  10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER* - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 6:31 am

Boy that had to suck all that anticipation and its over in a flash.
Adobo goes bonkers over horses she know when we are approaching the local corral and starts having hissy fits until we pass on by.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: First Hiking Trip 10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER*   First Hiking Trip  10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER* - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Did you take Neo for a long walk or run before leaving for your hiking trip? I know with our boy we have to exercise him before to burn off some energy before we get to our real hikes. Still, the more exposure they get to hiking trails (not your typical neighborhood walks) the better they tend to get. I would try getting some more exposure to local hikes that resemble a real hike to get him more used to them. With that said, my sibe is always bonkers when we reach a trailhead...even with countless hikes and trails under our belts. The beginning of any hike with our sibe is always the most challenging. Generally about 20-30 minutes into our hikes he settles into a nice pace out in front of us and is more manageable. It helps to find out what hikes are heavily traveled and at what times (and if they are going to be any events) so that you can plan your hikes to avoid crowds, horseback riders, etc. I find that getting a really early start helps tremendously as most people arrive late morning at heavily traveled trails which works out brilliantly. If it means waking up super early it's worth it to have a nice hiking experience.

I hope your next trip goes a little better. FWIW, my sibe walks like an angel on our normal daily walks but he turns into a freight train of pulling power when we arrive at a trailhead. lol

Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: First Hiking Trip 10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER*   First Hiking Trip  10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER* - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 7:44 pm

Ditto to what Val said.
My guy runs every day on trails. He knows what it's like to hike.
But when we get to the trail head, he is bonkers for the first 10-15 minutes.
He jumps and sniffs and pees all over the place.

This year I'm going to skijor with him and we will walk first before I even put on the skis.
Entirely for my own self preservation.
Back to top Go down
The1930sRust
Puppy
Puppy
The1930sRust

Female Join date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Gah!   First Hiking Trip  10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER* - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 6:55 pm

This remind me of the first time I ever tried cave surveying. Planed on it for weeks and weeks, and managed to map about 300 feet in eight hours! But I digress...

You definitely planned your LBL hike at the worst place. Wranaglers Camp, correct? Or was it the Southern section of the North South Trail? We routinely take Violet and Nola to the NS Trail. Horses are not allowed from Golden Pond/Jenny Ridge north to the Canal Loop. The Canal is another fantastic place to hike, but lots of mountain bikers and runners.

We went to Jenny Ridge Sunday and, save for one encounter with a lab (I swear for a split second it looked like a baby black bear!) when both our dogs went nutso, all they wanted to do was WALKIES!

First Hiking Trip  10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER* - Page 2 Anders10

Love to hike with you all there sometime. What part of TN are you from again? Lots of great parks there too.

Don't give up! CG
Back to top Go down
http://www.darklightimagery.net www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Hiking Trip 10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER*   First Hiking Trip  10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER* - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

First Hiking Trip 10/09/2011, *WORST TRIP EVER*

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2