It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

my dog is in heat and sick...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
johndeeregirl109
Puppy
Puppy
johndeeregirl109

Female Join date : 2011-08-21

my dog is in heat and sick... Empty
PostSubject: my dog is in heat and sick...   my dog is in heat and sick... EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 10:45 am

I have never had a dog that went into heat for the first time. She went into heat yesterday I believe, and she started throwing up this morning. My husband got home from work and she has defecated in her cage some. Then while he was eat, she threw up in the kitchen. Then while he was getting dressed to leave, she threw up again. I got up and cleaned that, and when i took her outside and put her in a temp cage, she threw up again. I moved her into her cage that i put outside to clean and she threw up again. This all happened in about a 2 hour period. Does any one have any advice. Im not sure if it's common for dogs to be sick while they are in heat or not.
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: my dog is in heat and sick...   my dog is in heat and sick... EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:03 am

Wow Sorry to hear .. Neither Of my Girls get sik when They are In Heat .. Icon Is in Heat Now.. Maybe something She Ate ?
Back to top Go down
Autumn
Puppy
Puppy
Autumn

Female Join date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: my dog is in heat and sick...   my dog is in heat and sick... EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:08 am

I'd get her to the vet, I don't think that much vomiting is normal at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.humanesocietyofhobart.org
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: my dog is in heat and sick...   my dog is in heat and sick... EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:22 am

Isisi started her first heat 2 weeks ago. Since then she's been sick a couple times, but never more than once in a row like that. The first time she got sick, it was from a treat they gave her at the vet (she started eating grass about 10 minutes after they gave it to her).

After that, she's mostly thrown up because of drinking water too fast. We now have to watch close when she's drinking, and only let her have a bit at a time.

I'd contact your vet and ask for suggestions, that much vomitting doesn't sound normal and I certainly wouldn't chalk it up to the heat.
Back to top Go down
johndeeregirl109
Puppy
Puppy
johndeeregirl109

PostSubject: Re: my dog is in heat and sick...   my dog is in heat and sick... EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:32 am

she has stopped vomiting. I am having to leave the poor girl outside in her cage b/c my land lord would kill me with how this house smells right now.

Another note on the vomit, it smelled like Feces. I thought that she had diahrrea until i saw her throw up. I am thinking, as well as a few other people, that she might have eaten some of her feces. And that she is throwing it up, she is very picky about her kennel staying clean, and might have done that. After she got it all out, she hasn't thrown up anymore. I am praying that it stays like that. I don't want her to get dehydrated.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: my dog is in heat and sick...   my dog is in heat and sick... EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 1:52 pm

I would hazard a guess that the vomiting is probably from something else not related to being in heat, could she have eaten something she wasn't supposed to?

The only time my dogs have ever vomited that frequently is when they've eaten something that they can't digest (like a toy, piece of cloth, etc) and their bodies are trying to expel it. Once they get the item out the vomiting stops. Sometimes it can take almost a whole day of vomiting for my dogs to expel something they ate that they can't digest...which means a full day of vomiting to clean up after. I hope she gets better soon.

Puppy
Puppy
johndeeregirl109

PostSubject: Re: my dog is in heat and sick...   my dog is in heat and sick... EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 4:37 pm

Thank you guys. Since this mornings episode of nastiness, there hasnt been anymore, yet.
Back to top Go down
zaibi1230
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: my dog is in heat and sick...   my dog is in heat and sick... EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 6:39 am

Pyometra can be simply defined as an infection in the uterus. Infections almost always happen during diestrus, usually about two months after the last time the dog was in “heat,” but can also happen immediately after a dog has had puppies. During this time, the level of progesterone is high. Progesterone decreases the motility of the uterus and makes it more susceptible to infections. Once bacteria get in the uterus, they easily grow.

Pyometra is classified based on whether the cervix is open (an open pyometra) or closed (a closed pyometra). The older a dog gets, the more likely she is to develop a pyometra.

III.What to Watch for at Home – Symptoms

Symptoms will depend partly on whether the cervix is open or closed. They usually begin about two months after the dog was last in heat. Dogs that develop a closed pyometra are usually much sicker than dogs with an open pyometra. This is because with an open pyometra, bacteria and pus can drain from the body. Symptoms can include:

* Lethargy or lack of energy

* Depression

* Lack of appetite (anorexia)

* Drinking excessive amounts of water (polydipsia)

* Urinating excessively (polyuria)

* Vulvar discharge that is cloudy or looks like pus (with open pyometra)

* Vomiting

* Weakness

* Running a fever (usually with a closed pyometra)

Discharge from the vulva does not have to be present. Dogs with a closed pyometra may have very little discharge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my dog is in heat and sick...   my dog is in heat and sick... Empty

Back to top Go down

my dog is in heat and sick...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1