It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jocieness
Newborn
Newborn
Jocieness

Female Join date : 2011-06-15

New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! Empty
PostSubject: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 10:57 pm

Hey all, I just got a beautiful female husky named Navi on August 31st, so my other husky Dixie could have a friend.

I bought her from a lady that needed to rehome her ASAP.

Well the same night we got her she had diahrrea (before we had fed her anything), we are feeding raw, starting her off with chicken. She still has extremely watery and light colored diahrrea and it is very very stinky!

I just found on this forum that feeding them boiled eggs will help with upset tummies, so I'm doing that tonight. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow, but I still wanted to know if anyone knew what exactly this could be? I believe she was being fed Purina before, not exactly sure which one but possibly Purina® Dog Chow® Dog Food. She's had a pretty good appetite though.

Also, not sure what this means, but hubby bathed her the next day and she still stunk afterwards and still does. And it's not like a usual dog smell. Not sure how to explain that and if it could mean anything. Additionally I feel she's veeerrry skinny, I can easily feel her ribs and spine. I believe she is on the smaller side of huskies, but still it's too much. She turned 7 months on Aug 31st.

If anyone could let me know what they think it is, or if its just she was being fed the wrong thing for too long? I really don't know. I'm also wondering if it could be worms??

Anything would help even though I'm likely taking her to the vet tomorrow would still like to hear from you all.

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:06 pm

It could be giardia or camplybactor or some such intestinal bacteria. It is good that you have an appointment with a vet tomorrow.

It could also just be a nervous stomach. My boy can get the runs from being excited because he is going to Petsmart!

You could try giving her a couple spoonfuls of canned pumpkin tonight. (Plain pumpkin - not spiced)

Hope you get this figured out soon! Poor baby... So glad you have her to take good care of her!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:10 pm

First of all, welcome! Your new baby is a cutie! I'm in Miami also. What area are you in? This tummy issue sounds way too familiar to me. I brought Kody home at 12 weeks and he too had a very VERY upset tummy. The vet prescribed antibiotics on 3 different occasions and it didn't work. He also advised that we should put him on Science Diet...that was NOT a good suggestion. Long story short...I took the advice of the girls on here and fed him eggs and carrots for about 2 weeks then slowly transitioned him to raw beef. Eventually after a lot of trial and error I found that he did great on The Honest Kitchen and Orijen.

Most huskies don't do well on foods that have grains. I would lean towards grain free foods to start. It's a long painful process, but you'll get there!
Back to top Go down
Jocieness
Newborn
Newborn
Jocieness

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks Lisa and Melissa!

The one in the picture is actually my first husky, Dixie - she's 5 months now, lots bigger!!
I will have to put up a picture of my new one soon!

Melissa I live in Miami Shores, but when I'm not home I'm usually by the FIU South Campus area, my 2 jobs are there, I go to school there and my parents live by there hehe, I should just go back to living there lol.

I'm really glad I got her too. I really dislike the idea of any dog, of any age not be living the life it should. It's really sad to see and hear of the ones in not very good homes, in shelters, or puppy mills etc Sad But I know all us dog owners can do is take very good care of the ones we have and can have. Smile

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:44 pm

The weird smell could be coming from an unhealthy dog. Poor nutrition and hygiene could be contributing to it or be major factors. Huskies generally don't have that "doggy" smell, so the fact that the dog really smells bad is an indication there is something wrong. Could be a skin issue. Is the smell strongest someplace, such as the paws or belly or privates? Or is it a general stink all over?

Some dogs will take to raw (bowel wise) easily. Others will go through an adjustment period. Coming from Purina to raw is a major change and i'm not surprised you're having diarrhea issues. Although, that coupled with the bodily smell and being on the skinnier side... i'm glad you have a vet appointment lined up.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Jocieness
Newborn
Newborn
Jocieness

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:58 pm

I haven't really noticed if the smell is coming from a specific place. I think I will stick to the eggs/ pumpkin and eventually carrots for a bit to get her settled and then go from there and also see what the vet says tomorrow.

I know the transition from purina to raw is pretty big so that could be a contributing factor, at the same time the fact that she had diarrhea even before we started feeding her raw leads me to believe this was an issue from before, but not sure what was causing it, so will find out tomorrow.

She's being very playful for the most part which I take as a good sign.
I'm praying it's nothing too serious and hoping for the best.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 12:03 am

Yea a vet appt is a VERY good idea, she might have a parasite and protozoa infection, or possiblly a skin infection. is she itchy at all? licking her paws? If you can, bring your vet a fresh stool sample tomorrow for him/her to check.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Jocieness
Newborn
Newborn
Jocieness

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 3:39 pm

So hubs took Dixie and Navi to the vet today. Dixie got her final puppy vaccines.

It turns out, thank God, Navi doesn't have anything bad like parasites, worms, infections, etc.
All she had were full glands (which probably explains the bad smell). Vet took care of that and also gave her a shot afterwards, but hubs said he didn't really explain the purpose of it? Perhaps to stop overproducion? Anyone know?

Also, she is underweight 23 lbs. So our job is to get some meat on her bones, and vet gave us some vitamins for her as well. Good weight for a 7 month old female, would be 30-35?

All in all, pretty good news from what I was expecting. Thank you all for your help Smile

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 4:45 pm

He didn't tell you what the shot was for? Usually full anal glands don't require any shots. Unless they were infected. interesting.
Back to top Go down
Jocieness
Newborn
Newborn
Jocieness

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 5:04 pm

Yea I found it odd as well.
I wasn't there so not exactly sure what happened. Our vet is not very talkative and neither is my hubby, so where I'll ask a bunch of questions, he wont =/

So, if she was infected that shot should clear her up?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 5:09 pm

Do you have a detailed receipt from the visit today? That should at least give you a name to the shot that was administered.

My dogs haven't had infected or impacted anals so I can't comment on if that's part of the procedure. Although, anal glands are usually expressed naturally over time with solid stool. I wouldn't think they'd be infected- just full.

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 5:19 pm

That's what I was thinking. The receipt should say what the shot was like Kristina said. And to your question, it depends on what the shot was. Usually, in my personally experience working in a vet hospital, infected anal glands are more serious than just giving a shot. Impacted glands just need to be expressed every few months if it's chronic. If your receipt doesn't say what was given, I would call the vet just to know what he gave her. Thats what I would do if it were my Kale at least.
Back to top Go down
Jocieness
Newborn
Newborn
Jocieness

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 5:22 pm

That got me a bit worried. I will call on Tuesday to ask,as that is when they re-open.
Will have to ask hubby if he got a receipt and if not I will have to wait till Tuesday.
=/
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 5:32 pm

When Kale's tummy is upset and he is having loose stools and diarrhea, I keep some pedialyte in my fridge to give to him. I offer it to him in a small bowl and he usually drinks it up great, but sometimes I have to syringe-feed it to him. It helps to rehydrate him, gives him some electrolytes and perks him up a bit. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 10:28 pm

The shot could have been an antibiotic shot. Some vets prefer them over antibiotic pills. But receiving that shot would mean there would have been some sort of infection. Possible to have infected anal glands, but most vets would make you come back in for a follow up for that kind of infection. Hope the invoice will tell you what went on at the appointment.

Pumpkin really helps my girls when they have upset tummies. Hope your new pup feels better soon!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 10:50 pm

Hmm... I'm interested in finding out what that shot was. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Jocieness
Newborn
Newborn
Jocieness

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 11:54 pm

No receipt Sad will have to wait till Tuesday and find out then, but hubs said vet did not say anything about a follow up. So shouldn't be anything serious then.

Thank you all again for all your help Smile
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Yea I wouldn't be too worried. Smile I would want to know for personal reasons. Shes a very beautiful girl! can't wait to watch her grow! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SiberianHuskySibhee
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 12:25 am

It may be protozoan infection. Have you got a stool exam already?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 12:30 am

She said above that it wasn't anything intestinal Smile
Back to top Go down
SiberianHuskySibhee
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 12:55 pm

Oh didn't notice it. LOL! Thanks hypers987 Smile
Back to top Go down
Jocieness
Newborn
Newborn
Jocieness

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Brooke, the one in my av pic is my first girl Dixie. She is now 5 months and 40 pounds:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f43/16/83/56/41/img_5211.jpg

The one i just got, Navi, turned 7 months on the 31st of Aug.

New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! Img_5212

Even though it's only been a few days, she is looking much better overall than when we first got her.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 1:43 pm

They are so cute! Maybe you guys could make a meetup sometime Smile

Back to top Go down
Jocieness
Newborn
Newborn
Jocieness

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 2:31 pm

Yes, have really wanted to, but usually work on Sats and have had Dixie's training.
Hopefully we can make one soon though Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!   New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy! Empty

Back to top Go down

New Husky: Navi - very upset tummy!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Medical Issues-