It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raw Beef Marrow Bones

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Raw Beef Marrow Bones Empty
PostSubject: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 4:30 pm

I have been searching for marrow bones for a while now and none of the local grocery stores have them..like ever! I finally found them last weekend at Natural K9 when I went to get their THK..woohoo!! I got a bag of 7 (medium sized) for $9...not too bad I don't think.

I gave the first one to Kody this Saturday morning and he was obsessed! I gave it to him in his crate to see if that would entertain him so that we could sleep a bit more. He was at it since 7am till 9:30am! Not a peep from him. YAY! LOL! That's the plus...now...the negatives..

Mya was sleeping on the couch and when she came into the room and approached his crate to smell it Kody went nuts! Barking, growls, attacking the gate of the crate, etc. Basically they were fighting through the crate! He's NEVER EVER reacted that way towards anything with Mya Rolling Eyes He totally respects her, but apparently he really takes this bone personal! I don't want him getting that way with her. She's totally the Alpha and if he starts reacting that way we're going to have major issues with them Evil or Very Mad

Another negative is that he had very soft poop today. The only thing he's had out of the norm is the marrow bone. Do you think that could cause his tummy to get upset? He has a very sensitive tummy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Koda gets soft poos when we give him marrow bones. It's usually only one poo and that's it though. I wish could offer advice to you about the crate and bone, but Rogue can get however near Koda with anything and doesn't mind. :\ But going through the crate gate is not good and I can see why you are concerned.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 6:06 pm

Yeah Heather, it was just one soft poop. Let's see how he poops again this evening.

The whole fight through the crate kinda freaked me out. Kody is a sweet angel and for him to react that way is not like him at all! I guess I'll just confine him in the crate when I give him one and take it away before I even let Mya in the room. I had to clean his crate and everything because they were both smelling the "spot" where he had it and that could have turned into something. Shocked
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 11:12 pm

The marrow is all fat and very rich. Ginger and Storm will go soft on marrow bones too on occasion, but not usually. However, they don't get marrow bones very often because it is rich.

Last edited by cmanding on Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 8:50 am

Kody is still super soft this morning so I'm thinking maybe it wasn't the bone. I gave it to him again yesterday morning for a bit so it's been 24hrs already scratch If his evening poop isn't back to normal then he's skipping dinner and getting pumpkin only or eggs.

I normally give them both bone and kongs at the same time, but I know Mya and how protective she gets over super cool stuff and she was going to be guarding that bone for hours. We can just take it away from Kody, but Mya will only let you take it when she wants Rolling Eyes I gave her the frozen kong with filling and she was happy chewing on that for an hour Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 10:19 am

Why not crate Mya for snack time too(under the impression you don't) and them both just chill and do that in their crates so they don't piss eachother off?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 10:55 am

Mya doesn't have a crate anymore. She would never go in it and we never really locked her up anymore so we took it down. Our house is small and 2 crates were taking up too much space.

If we need to confine her for whatever reason she just hangs out in our room and sleeps in our bed like the spoiled brat that she is..lol
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 1:07 pm

maybe it is just a first and one time thing since the bone is new to him.... maybe after learning he gets them more often they are not that special to guard any more? we don't have that issue. some times when a treat is taken from the one that one comes to me with a sad face and i have to walk over to the other and retrieve the 2nd treat they took and give it back Rolling Eyes

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 3:12 pm

Awww Jenn...that's too cute! It's like they come tell on the other for taking his/her treat! that's so cute!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 7:45 pm

I would keep them in separate rooms when the bones are being fed so that they can't see each other to avoid a confrontation. My dogs go into what I call a primal state when they've got raw meat or RMBs. When they've got raw or RMBs they CANNOT be near each other, they will go into a barking, growling, protective state with hackles up and teeth bared if another dog comes near. That is not the case with ANY other food be it treats, kibble, THK, people food, etc...it is ONLY with raw and RMBs.

I'd also guess it was the bone that's messing with Kody's tummy, some dogs take longer to clear up than others if they are more sensitive which I know Kody is a sensitive one.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 7:55 pm

i really think S&J truly love each other. i take a section of the news paper still in half and stick the raw chicken on it to give them, half on each side of the paper and they will eat, heads all most touching with out even a sound or attempt to get the others food. granted once it is gone its all game to lick the others spot in-case they missed something!

oh sorry Melissa i hope your two work it out! i should stop rubbing in how well my 2 are with food..... Wink

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 9:24 pm

Val, yep, definitely must be in separate rooms! I'm thinking that when I give them the RMB's again Kody will be in his crate in our room with the door closed and Mya in the tv room. Once I take the bones away and clean the area that they both had them THEN I'll let them around each other again. Kody's most recent BM was half firm half mushy. I gave him some pumpkin with his THK...let's see if that works. This boy and his sensitive tummy!

Jenn, you're so lucky that your 2 love each other that much. That's so cute! I love you I know that Kody loves Mya, but I'm not too sure if she loves him. They get along, play all of the time, and even sleep right next to each other. When it comes to food, bones, toys, etc. Mya will not allow Kody near her like at all! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 9:35 am

I've been giving Hayden bison marrow bones along with the beef and he really seems to enjoy it! Our pet store started carrying lamb bones too, which he hasn't tried yet, has anyone else tried lamb yet??
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 12:28 pm

jbealer wrote:
i really think S&J truly love each other. i take a section of the news paper still in half and stick the raw chicken on it to give them, half on each side of the paper and they will eat, heads all most touching with out even a sound or attempt to get the others food. granted once it is gone its all game to lick the others spot in-case they missed something!

My boys are the same way even though I acquired each at different times. It maybe more due to training than love but either way it's a relief to not have to worry about aggression.

I make sure that it's not tolerated with even my foster dogs. I feed them at least 6 feet apart. If there is any hint of growling, crowding or other aggression I remove the offender and their food / bone. It doesn't take long and they learn when their food goes away and they get isolated not to repeat the behavior.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

Female Join date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 1:08 am

Okay, I've been wanting to know exactly what ARE these marrow bones that you speak of and where could one find them? I don't live near a very large city.... (like dallas/houston) just kindof a smaller city (but a city) or even somewhere that you might be able to find them in a rural area would be nice to know Smile I've been wanting to get Diesel into eating more bones... I got him a mammoth bone from petsmart and he's went to town on it, but it started getting jagged edges and he cut his gums a bit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones   Raw Beef Marrow Bones Empty

Back to top Go down

Raw Beef Marrow Bones

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1