It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Unhappy Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jared0934
Newborn
Newborn

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 10:24 pm

Hey everyone unfortunately I have resorted to this before professional help. To keep it short and simple, I care about the dog and it just doesn't seem happy, yeah it's tail is up and curled but not wagging around at all. He's a 2 1/2 month old red/white husky I love him and have always wanted a husky but here's the issue. His tail is only up when he's playing with out 3 month old Lhasa Apso....Or is it playing? He always ends up hurting her, it's not just playing nipping at the ears and paws, it's him grabing the scruff of her neck and doing that little shake thing when he's got a hold. But he's not showing teeth or growling barking.... He doesn't like to be pet by myself or my wife for very long, he wont sit there and be pet, the only time he wont move is if you hold him in your arms or scratch his belly. He steals the toys/leafs that the little dog gets even if he has a toy himself he just wants to take what's hers, same thing goes for when they eat he tries to go get her bowl even though they have the same stuff! Really what I'm writing for is what can I do to make this dog a happier animal. He's been with us about a week, I hand feed him, I don't hurt him when I discipline him, just let him know it's not tolerated. Also, he wont exercise at all, the little dog will chase me around the house when I play with her but he could care less for me, he just wants to chase her and tackle her once she starts moving. Not to mention he SCREAMS like a freaking banshee if we put him in the crate. He's been screaming so hard lately he vomits in the crate and I'm actually worried about animal control showing up. I've got books and books on huskies, constantly reading online, I want to make this dog happy and balanced but it just seems like he wants nothing to do with me he just wants to hunt my little Lhasa... Anyone?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Okay, I think there are a few things going on here. So I'll break it down (sorry, I like lists, it's nothing personal, lol).

1. Can you get a video of him playing/hunting the lhasa? I have a feeling this is just someone not used to husky rough play. My two will look and sound like they are trying to kill each other... quite literally, too. Huskies play by grabbing the scruff and shaking. However, just because he likely IS playing, doesn't mean that it's okay to do with a small dog and you as the boss need to teach him that it's not okay. He should be corrected everytime the play gets too rough. Give a firm NO and take him out of the room and isolate him for a few minutes. Repeat EVERYTIME this happens.

2. The not wanting to play is normal. Your husky is a rescue and new to your home. Rescues take sometimes as much as 6 months to fully open up. Hailey is a COMPLETELY different dog now than she was when we first got her and so was Koda six months after we got him. He's insecure and scared and it will take him more than just a week to warm up to you.

3. Check out the crate training thread/sticky in the training subforum for help crate training. Make the crate a positive and happy place.

4. Practice Nothing In Life Is Free with BOTH your dogs to help establish yourself as the leader of the house. This will help with ALL your corrections and training.

All in all... I think you're just new husky-parents who are scared and unsure. I'm glad you came here. What you are going through is normal and I don't think your husky is unhappy, I think he just needs time and clear boundaries. Breathe Smile And welcome to the forum!

ETA: Koda's tail didn't curl until about month 3-4 of us having him. That's also normal.

Unhappy Husky? Hailey10

Last edited by Koda on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Sounds like he's gotten bonded with your other dog, which isn't uncommon when there's a new puppy in the house. You say he's 2 1/2 months, but you've had him a month? How old was he when you got him? His beyond rough play could be contributed to him being taken away from his litter too early, they shouldn't leave before 8 weeks.

He needs to understand that he can't play that way with your other dog. If he isn't reading her signs then you need to intervene and separate them until he calms down. Huskies are naturally "aloof" and aren't velcro dogs who "care" about their humans. I mean they love us as much as dogs can love... but they aren't like a Border Collie or a Lab.

As for the crate, i'd treat it as though the dog has Separation Anxiety and work to build a positive association with the crate. In all honesty i'm not surprised he gets so worked up he vomits. You really need to take a few steps back and work to make him enjoy and like his crate.

How often do you take him out by himself for independent walks or training time? Those can help build your relationship as well as wear him out a bit so he isn't taking out all his energy on your little one.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 10:42 pm

Kristina, the husky is 2.5 months old and they've had him a week Smile

Unhappy Husky? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 10:54 pm

You read better than I, Tori Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:28 am

Huskies aren't Velcro dogs?! Appa sure is, the guy is a flippin' shadow. We move, he follows. However, if there's another dog around I have to act like a crazy maniac to get his attention. He. Loves. Dogs.

The scruff-shake is his favorite move with dogs of comparable size once he has them pinned by the neck; he's AMAZINGLY gentle with little dogs.

I would say it is probably normal husky play you're seeing, he just has to know it's not ok with your little dog.
Back to top Go down

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:59 am

Everyone here has given you great advice, I do agree that you need to stop the play with the llapso as soon as he start the neck shake. Koda only does it to dogs he is SUPER familiar with and it's always with big dogs- he is super gentle with little dogs. Huskies have enough extra skin and fur around their necks to where it doesn't hurt, and the llapso could get seriously hurt by this even if it is in a playful manner if he still thinks it's OK when he gets bigger. Even at 3 months, the llapso is so much more delicate than a 10 week old husky.
Back to top Go down
Jared0934
Newborn
Newborn

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 2:27 am

Thanks for all the replies, it's good to know you guys really care about other husky owners. Most of the things you guys have said I've been doing. I know the "pack leader" mentality, discipline but not anger, slowly introducing them to the crate and tossing goodies in there so they assosiate it as a positive environment. I think my husky is just claustrophobic lol. Anyways, my wife and I went to pet smart to get some things and decided to get a X-pen and I hooked up both there crates to it so hopefully they will be happier with a bit more room, only thing I'm worried about is they might urinate/dedicate in there.. I uploaded the video, this was actually the first time Max (the husky) actually growled back, I dno if they were still playing at that moment what do you guys think? Also, a little while ago they played a bit too rough and I separated them, my wife went in the room with the Lhasa Bella and I stayed out with the husky max they both sat at the door separating them and cried... So I think they love each other he just plays rough.... they are "playing" again now as I type lol no yelps yet though.. I just want to make sure I'm doing the rite thing to give these dogs a good home and a happy and well balanced life.

**Last note** At 2 months old he hates the leash and wont go anywhere on it unless I drop it. I also tried to get him on the treadmill and he shut down and wouldn't even eat the treats. He wont run with me, or after me... He wont play with the squeeky toys with me he'll just steal them from the little dog... Anyone have any idea's on good exercise for him that he will like to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwB_QqlbMiY
Back to top Go down
Jared0934
Newborn
Newborn

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 2:41 am

And yeah I agree she is delicate. She's a fighter though I tell u she always comes back for more he's usually the one to quick in the long run she just keeps coming back to his face lol. Does anyone elses husky use their body weight like it's cool? He will just plop down on the Lhasa with his butt all the time claiming that space its funny but its like damn man we get it your dominating her and establishing that, but sheesh
Back to top Go down

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 3:14 am

Total play! Smile Such a cute video. My little girl plays like that with the 5 month old pekingese in our complex (but she doesn't mouth on it, she only does that to big dogs- but she will completely jump all over it and push him around, lol). BTW your boy is seriously the male version of Rogue [photo: https://2img.net/h/i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/singoursong/rogue7.jpg.]

And your llapso definitely is a tough cookie!
And P.S., I had to watch the video in the helmet.. LOL!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 10:20 am

Heatherlee wrote:
BTW your boy is seriously the male version of Rogue [photo: https://2img.net/h/i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/singoursong/rogue7.jpg.]

I was just going to that it's a boy ROGUE! HOW ADORABLE IS THAT!
Back to top Go down
Jared0934
Newborn
Newborn

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 12:23 pm

weird because we almost named him rogue because of the mask... glad I didn't now might have got confusing lol. oh man im embarassed cuz of the helmet dance >_< My girl wanted me to do it for her lol
Back to top Go down
Jared0934
Newborn
Newborn

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:18 pm

So does anyone have any tips for me what can I do to exercise the little pup? he doesn't really wanna do much, he hates being on a leash and wont run after me/with me if I run and he's scared to death of the treadmill lol.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:21 pm

You need to work on positive reinforcement with him which will build his confidence, teach him that these are not things to be afraid of, and exhaust him (as training does).

Try using treats to coax him outside. Give him a treat everytime you bring out the leash and clip him. Give him a treat when he voluntarily moves when attached to the leash. Things of this nature.

Unhappy Husky? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
CrazyDogs
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-06-03

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:36 pm

First of all puppies should only be getting 5 minutes of exercise for ever month they are. For instance, your pup is 2 months old, so he should only be getting about 10 minutes of exercise in one session.
Try walking around with treats in your hand/pocket. Don't hold the leash at first and if he follows you then treat, walk a few steps, see if he comes (call, whistle, makes lots of noise if he doesn't, or even wave the treat around) then treat when he gets to you. Do it over and over and over. Then start doing it while holding the leash, he won't even realize it's there.
Or you can play the "come here" game. You sit on one side of a room and have your wife sit on the other side and you both hold a bunch of treats in your hands. One of you call him, make lots of noise, do whatever you can to get him to go to you and then treat him when he's to you, then the other one calls. Pretty soon he'll be racing back and forth. It's also a good way to get him to know his name and the "come" command.
If you want to use the treadmill you need to start over with it and use positive association with it. Start out with it off then very slowly work your way up to turning it on with him off of it, then with him on it, then going faster slowly. Try even walking on it with him.
Back to top Go down
Jared0934
Newborn
Newborn

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:40 pm

done and done. I do give them treats when they walk by themselves on the leash. Sometimes he's so into what smells are going on he could care less about the treats lol. And as for the treadmill i put treats on it and let him sniff it out but after I started it he froze and now every time he gets near it he freezes and wont even eat treats. Is 2 months old too young to be running anyways? I should just work on the leash more until they are comfortable...
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:46 pm

Two months old is too young to do anything but run in the yard during free play or play around in the house. Even walks are likely too much for him if it's on pavement or sidewalk.

These types of activities shouldn't be started until your pup is MUCH closer to a year old. Pavement/cement can injure fragile, growing bones and joints.

So stick with the training, fetch, or running around the yard together (fetch for instance) until your dog is older, especially because he won't know when/how to listen to his body and stop when he's too tired until he's closer to a year Smile

Unhappy Husky? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 3:24 pm

He looks like a happy puppy to me! One thing I'd suggest is enrolling him into a puppy class. Puppy classes are great, because you the owner learn a ton and the puppy gets socialized with other puppies and strangers. Plus it's so fun having all those puppies running around playing with eachother!

Unhappy Husky? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Jared0934
Newborn
Newborn

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 3:35 pm

Yeah I'm definitely going to do that I'm just waiting for two more weeks when they both finish up the last of their shots
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:26 pm

While you wait, ask different vets in your area and see if you can find a really good puppy class. Make sure they allow playtime. Some just have you keep the puppies on lead the whole time and just teach them stuff like sit and down, but the good ones give the puppies time to play with other puppies which in turn usually sets them in the right direction on how to play with dogs when they get bigger. You'll have so much fun at puppy class! Smile

Unhappy Husky? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
Jared0934
Newborn
Newborn

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 6:36 pm

I'd like to think I'm off to a good start. They sit on either physical or verbal command... Slowly they are learning to make eye contact with me instead of the bowl or my hands filled with treats. I didn't know the 5 minutes per month old equation... Even so, they wrestle for about 10 minutes every hour unless they are napping, but they could go all throughout the night if I didn't dictate what time to sleep lol the energy is never ending that's why I figured I needed to do more. And he won't play "fetch" or even just run after something I throw he's more interested in what my other dog is doing >_<

He seems a lot more happier today since we set up the X-pen instead of regular crates... Only problem is now they are urinating/ect where they sleep cuz it's a big space.... But I figure in a about 2 weeks of sleeping there I'll go back to using the crates to get potty training time down... they are going on the pads pretty well so long as I always leave 1 out of 4 pads out with there scents on it.

Just saying, this is totally his "I'm Coming For You" look....
Unhappy Husky? Nlskdl
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:18 pm

When I brought Kody home at 12 weeks old the only thing that he was interested in was Mya! That was really hard on us because she wanted nothing to do with him when we first got him. She attacked my poor little boy several times for the first 2 months, but now they are buddies. She dominates his life and he totally respects her, but they love each other.

I would throw the toy, run around like a crazy person calling him, take out his leash and NOTHING. After a few weeks he started coming around. I think it's normal for him to be more interested in playing with his new buddy =)
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:24 pm

The only time Stormy doesn't look at me is when he is gnawing on the cat. He thinks the cat is his best friend......the cat not so much.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 9:47 pm

Elara was the same way at that age. We thought she was going to be a "dog's dog" and not be very interested in us, but she's totally different now and loves us. Smile She used to only care what Siku was doing, but that slowly changed as she grew up.

Unhappy Husky? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
Jared0934
Newborn
Newborn

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 10:04 pm

Yeah I feel a lot more confident the past two days in Max's happiness he's acted a lot better the past two days I've only had to correct him 2-3 times on biting the little one too hard and he's seemed a lot happier :-) guess they just take some time to warm up to the home. I hope he doesn't flip again soon since I'm moving into a new house.... >_< at least in the new house I'll have a separate room for the dogs so he can scream all he wants in his crate :-P
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Unhappy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unhappy Husky?   Unhappy Husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

Unhappy Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next