It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Cough at night.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Cough at night. Empty
PostSubject: Cough at night.   Cough at night. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:22 am

Figured I would post this just to see if anyone has any insight.

Rogue coughs a bit at night. It's not constant or extremely often. But she will have a coughing fit for about a minute maybe twice through the night and then occasional coughs. No issues through the day. Jarod gets congested at night, wondering if dogs do too? She doesn't act sick or anything at all.

She is pretty chill most of the time and got crazy exercise at Claudia's- for 3 hours about. She usually is asleep 22 hours of the day, has a few 5-10 minute play sessions with Koda.. so this was new for her. When we came to get her she was coughing and hacking up a lot,, but it had to be from all the stimulation and exercise as when we got in the car and got her to just sleep and chill out, she was fine. Jarod was thinking maybe she was just getting all the "stuff" out from her congestion.. not sure if I would think that.

Any ideas on why she may be coughing and at night only? Tips for to help her out? I was thinking benedryl.. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: OK, I wouldn't say cough. She hacks.
EDIT EDIT: I have been googling it and found a million people witht he same question, I'm assuming this is common? However no good answers.. "sinuses, allergies"- kennel cough is obviously ruled out as it's not constant.
Back to top Go down
Britt09
Puppy
Puppy
Britt09

Female Join date : 2011-06-13

Cough at night. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cough at night.   Cough at night. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 11:33 am

My puppy does the same thing. The vet told me she had Kennel cough but I don't know she only hacks at night and sometimes she will hack up spit or something, kinda like baby vomit smell but I never see it because she eats it right away, so nasty.
Back to top Go down

Cough at night. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cough at night.   Cough at night. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:12 pm

Our chihuahuas all got kennel cough last year and it was nothing like what she has. They did it constantly and LOOKED and ACTED sick. She is a normal peppy puppy all day. I wouldn't think it could possibly be kennel cough if it isn't done at least somewhat throughout the rest of the day? I wonder if this is just EXTREMELY common with puppies..
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Cough at night. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cough at night.   Cough at night. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 2:32 pm

Kody hacks at night also and then eats it up just like Brittany said (nasty!). He does it maybe twice that I'm aware of. I used to get up right away because I thought he was puking something that he shouldn't have eaten up, but nope. It's kind of like when they drink water and then gag, but sometimes nothings comes out. Hard to explain scratch
Back to top Go down

Cough at night. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cough at night.   Cough at night. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 2:59 pm

MOST of the time nothing comes out, only seen 2x where she had a glub of something come up. It's just driving me insane because though I now feel way more comforted in that it's common, it makes me SO sad hearing her cough Sad
Back to top Go down
Britt09
Puppy
Puppy
Britt09

Female Join date : 2011-06-13

Cough at night. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cough at night.   Cough at night. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 3:26 pm

yea I hate hearing Shelby cough. She has little hacking fits I was thinking about taking her to the vet but he will prob just tell me oh she still getting over kennel cough that's what he told me last time :/
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Cough at night. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cough at night.   Cough at night. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 3:32 pm

Odin hacks sometimes when he's laying down. Nothing ever comes up. He's always done it... So i've got no idea!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down

Cough at night. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cough at night.   Cough at night. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 3:51 pm

These dogs need to cut the hacking out, it makes me so freaked!
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Cough at night. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cough at night.   Cough at night. EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Is the cough/hack dry or moist sounding? Having worked as a veterinarian technician for a few years, I've unfortunately seen a good number of dogs with kennel cough. It was almost always more prevalent at night, or when the dog would lay down. I've seen dogs that would cough or hack constantly, then those that would cough intermittently. Many of the dogs had no other symptoms besides the cough; they appeared, acted and ate normally.

Definitely not saying Rogue has kennel cough but if her symptoms continue to linger, a trip to the vet might ease your mind. I hope your baby feels better soon Heather! Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down

Cough at night. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cough at night.   Cough at night. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 3:15 pm

Wow Kim, never saw this post!

She definitely is hacking more, and it is indeed way more common when laying down. Yesterday she barely did it at all, I can't remember her doing it to be honest. But god, last night.. I did not sleep at ALL because she was doing is so gosh darn much! And she has done is a lot up until about an hour ago too. She is finally sleeping and not waking herself up hacking right now. I feel awful. She still is a bundle of fun but is starting to look at me with the "I'm not feeling so hot" look.

I am going to the vet, 2:40 tomorrow. I know KC can turn into pneumonia and no way am I risking that to see if it goes away on it's own when she is a baby. At my work, we had 3 dogs die turning a kennel cough outbreak from not being treated..
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Cough at night. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cough at night.   Cough at night. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 3:45 pm

Poor Rogue, I feel so bad for her. And I'm right there with you Heather; I would never risk not treating a dog that has kennel cough, even if many cases clear up untreated. I'd be way too paranoid and concerned for that!

Good luck at the vet tomorrow! Hopefully she'll start feeling better soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cough at night. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cough at night.   Cough at night. Empty

Back to top Go down

Cough at night.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1